Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Iqama travel restrictions and PSU accommodation for females
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scots_teacher11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Iqama travel restrictions and PSU accommodation for females Reply with quote

I'm looking for information on two separate issues:

1. Can I travel to at least other GCC countries on an iqama e.g Dubai if I get a visa for Dubai. I want to travel to somewhere else on holidays from work. The university (PSU) told me I can only leave on official national holidays.

2. Does anyone have any information regarding the accommodation provided by PSU for female teachers. I want to know if they have single apartments or shared as I have been told some teachers are actually housed in hotels.

Thank you in advance Smile
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Iqama travel restrictions and PSU accommodation for fema Reply with quote

scots_teacher11 wrote:
Can I travel to at least other GCC countries on an iqama e.g Dubai if I get a visa for Dubai.

Yes.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um... I would say that you travel on a passport - and probably leave your iqama in the KSA. You would need either a multiple entry visa or a single visa from your employer. So, if PNU is telling you that you can only travel on official holiday, that is how it is.

Most people get their Dubai visa at the airport when they arrive...

VS
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Employer has to process an exit visa for you. You cannot use an Iqama to travel outside KSA. UK citizens get visa on arrival in UAE.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However, you can't travel outside KSA until you're issued your iqama. In fact, you'll be without your passport while your iqama is being processed.
Nabz1236

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont mean to hijack the op's thread but i want some advice on the same subject from you experienced peeps.

I am going out to Saudi next week for the first time and have my visa in my passport. I have been told its a work visa leading to an iqama. I did the necessary medical and the visa agent BCS in London submitted the application.

I am British and looking to come home during the Eid break Friday 26th September to Saturday 11th October. Will I need to have my iqama issued by then to come home or can i use the visa in my passport as it is valid for 90 days on arrival in KSA?

Do you need to have permission of the company to leave the country for a vacation?

I am looking to book my flights asap as they are going up in price longer i leave it and eventually the price will go so high that i will have to leave it.

Saudi National Day is on Tuesday 23rd of September then there is 2 further teaching days before the Eid break. I doubt i will be able to get the extra 2 days off.
scots_teacher11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabz1236, I am in the same position as you but my visa is a 90 day single entry obtained from the Harley Medical & Visa Group in London.

I don't think I will have the iqama for end of September. Are you teaching at PSU too?
AJ88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends if your employer will allow you to leave the country during that period. Although you're officially off work and you're not teaching some companies will still insist you remain in the country during this period.

Best thing to do is discuss this with your employer as soon as.
Nabz1236

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be working at KSU.

I am sure my visa will also be single entry 90 days.

I was told by the saudi embassy in london you have 90 days from when the visa is issued to enter KSA and then 90 days from the date of entry in KSA. Not sure if that is correct?

I am looking to book my flights home for the Eid Break but i am not sure if i will have my passport or Iqama? Its a big risk
nomad soul

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 90-day employment/work visa that you're issued is an entry visa---it won't allow you to leave and return to KSA. Besides, once you arrive in country, you'll have to hand over your passport to your employer in order to have your iqama (residence permit) processed. Technically, the passport authority has 90 days to issue your iqama, but it usually takes less than that---probably less than 3 weeks, contingent upon how many iqama applications the passport folks have to process. The start of the academic year is always quite busy.

As for leaving/reentering the country, once you have your iqama in hand, you'd need your employer's authorization to depart on an exit/reentry visa. These visas are usually quick to process (less than 10 days).

Last edited by nomad soul on Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
scots_teacher11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Nomad soul
AJ88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nabz,

Will you be going with Al Hussan or Al Jazeera ?
Nabz1236

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification Nomad Soul.

My company just emailed me to this effect.

We can not issue the Iqama without original passport, so we will take your passport when you arrive to Saudi Arabia (attached with 3 photos passport size) then when the Iqama issued we will return the passport + Iqama for you.

Note: You can not leave the country without exit re entry visa which we are the only ones who can ssue it for you. Also note that you have to apply for it 2 weeks before your travelling date.
scots_teacher11

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone with info on the housing for females at PSU?
AJ88

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scots_teacher11 wrote:
Anyone with info on the housing for females at PSU?

Not sure about females. But a male friend of mine who works at PSU lives in the diplomatic quarter in shared accommodation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: