Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nepal Volunteering
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sisyphus

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:59 am    Post subject: Nepal Volunteering Reply with quote

If anyone is interested in Nepal I have contacts for an NGO they work with an organisation that offers placements in Public schools, I think there is a fee for accom/meals etc. I met the guy at Iatefl can vouch for them etc although he said he only takes serious independent types definitely not for those wanting 5 star hotels and pampering .PM me for details.
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'a fee' meaning the teacher pays for his accommodation and food?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea.

You get to pay for the privilege of giving your free labor to a government operated establishment.

EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing
sisyphus

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
yea.

You get to pay for the privilege of giving your free labor to a government operated establishment.

It is Volunteering. That means you do not get paid. Nepal does not have a lucrative ELT industry, it is an extremely poor country with a very low GDP, and a difficult period politically. It cannot afford the luxury of native English teachers. If you have no understanding of how this works and why you would pay a fee then why post such an ill informed reply. The people who go to Nepal or similar countries have some underlying empathy and understanding. They go for other reasons -not financial ones obviously. It is a treasure trove of linguistic interest ,for example, with many endangered languages such as Magar and Gurung. I recommend the Dervla Murphy book 'The Waiting Land', although a bit old gives some insight into the country. Presuming it is not too difficult for you that is. Just not sure with the 'yea' ?! Smile
suphanburi

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL is not a lucrative industry in most countries but sorry...

It is what it is...

Paying for the "privilege of providing your time and labor" to a government under the auspices of helping kids.

Enjoy your vacation in the mountains.

spiral78

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look, there are some EFLers out here who can afford a year of service/pro bono work for a good cause. The original post clearly is intended for those teachers. If you're neither able nor inclined to do pro bono work, fine - but no need to sneer at an offer for those of us who may be. Or worse, to assume that no EFL teacher either can afford or would want to donate his/her expertise and time, ever.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Volunteering is good....you will be rewarded for your efforts. Smile
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Look, there are some EFLers out here who can afford a year of service/pro bono work for a good cause. The original post clearly is intended for those teachers. If you're neither able nor inclined to do pro bono work, fine - but no need to sneer at an offer for those of us who may be. Or worse, to assume that no EFL teacher either can afford or would want to donate his/her expertise and time, ever.

I have no issue with volunteerism.

I do have issues with paying to volunteer for a government job (even if it is in the middle of the Himalayas) under the auspices of "helping kids"... (We won't go into the validity of said government (or the corruption of said government officials who often do make a profit from your volunteerism) - another issue in and of itself. )

Further to that: considering the simple fact that the "government of Nepal" charges climbers a "permit fee" of US$11,000, a "trash removal fee" of $4000, $2500 for your government "liaison officer" etc., (compulsory fees) about $20 million last year alone ...

they could at least pay to feed and house the volunteer "teachers" who will train the future guides and porters.
They don't seem to have a problem feeding and housing the armed forces who are used quell public dissent.

You can now pay me $2000 for room and board so that I can exploit your time and labor (at no additional cost to me) under contract for the next year for my own benefit at your expense.

coldcucumber

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:

Disagree, any time one is asked to pay for housing and food while volunteering as an educator, is something that should be called out
it's both dangerous, often times in such situations, and quite onerous
in your making negative accusations against those that question you on this. If there is no discussion and debate on such a situation, why did you post it on a debate forum on Dave's ESL. ( a wonderful wonderful place that this is!)
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there,

I used to volunteer teaching English in Sub Saharan Africa years ago...it was the most rewarding and enjoyable experience I ever had. Very Happy
sisyphus

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

suphanburi wrote:
spiral78 wrote:

I have no issue with volunteerism.

I do have issues with paying to volunteer for a government job (even if it is in the middle of the Himalayas) under the auspices of "helping kids"... (We won't go into the validity of said government (or the corruption of said government officials who often do make a profit from your volunteerism) - another issue in and of itself. )

Further to that: considering the simple fact that the "government of Nepal" charges climbers a "permit fee" of US$11,000, a "trash removal fee" of $4000, $2500 for your government "liaison officer" etc., (compulsory fees) about $20 million last year alone ...

they could at least pay to feed and house the volunteer "teachers" who will train the future guides and porters.
They don't seem to have a problem feeding and housing the armed forces who are used quell public dissent.

You can now pay me $2000 for room and board so that I can exploit your time and labor (at no additional cost to me) under contract for the next year for my own benefit at your expense.

So the implied tone of your post is that all Voluntary/NGO/Charity work is corrupt. The numbers you throw about may or may not be true for Hiking permits (I doubt that very much as they wouldnt get thousands of hikers every year at those prices). You are right , there are a lot of dubious organisations (usually under the term 'orphanages' )out there charging people for Volunteering. However the legit ones, including this one which cooperates with organisations such as the Red Cross etc charges a small fee merely covering board and lodging with a Nepalese family. There is no profit in it. $2000 in Nepal is the Nepal Hilton? Smile
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope.... I reiterate again, I have no issue with volunteerism.....

In regards to this "volunteer" position ... you have your opinion, I have mine....

but the key phrase here ... public school / government job
(hardly qualifies it as a "not for profit NGO" or "international, charitable organization").

Sorry... volunteering to work for a corrupt government and letting some snivel service tout profit from it is not volunteering.

Paying for the privilege of getting fed and housed for a year while they profit from your labor is simply adding insult to injury.

The government can afford to pay, house and feed the army to keep the civilians in line... they can afford to feed and house the foreign teachers.

And yes, check the costs if you want.. they won't be far off what we were quoted when we looked at them to hike Everest (just to base camp).

The operator fees were on top of that still. The average cost (per person) to climb Everest is close to US$30k (AFTER you get to Nepal) and more than 1/2 of that is "government fees".

$2000 is my fee.. you can pay me, I will place you in a home-stay and pay for your room and board.

sisyphus

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suphanburi. You should get out sometimes, look at the trees, smell the fresh air. You seem angry. I suggest a Everest base camp trek. Without a guide.
Shocked
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello there.

To volunteer or not volunteer teaching English.....one must decide what makes one happy....it is simply a mater of choice! Very Happy Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: