Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how to find jobs and am i qualified enough?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregsie74

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: how to find jobs and am i qualified enough? Reply with quote

Hi All,

Are my qualifications /experience enough for teaching in UAE good enough, and where would i look? eg daves esl, indeed, etc

2 X BA degrees ( media and art )
CELTA certificate
4 years private teaching
2 years classroom experience

Basically im thinking of doing an MA in tesol linguistics, but i heard that MA only increases your salary by 3k a year and im not sure whether this applies to Saudi or UAE as well. Any ideas?

I know UAE is more competitive to get a job but if anyone can point me in the right direction id appreciate it

Basically this is what i know so far - Dubai is more cosmopolitan and not so strict as Saudi, ( ie you can walk around with women) but more expensive re living costs. Also ill probably coming out there to teach alone , at least for the time being, so no dependents.

Thanks all

Greg
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregsie74 wrote:
Are my qualifications /experience enough for teaching in UAE good enough, and where would i look? eg daves esl, indeed, etc

University foundation year positions in the UAE require a related MA + a minimum of three years' university teaching experience gained after the MA. TEFL jobs with language schools require lesser qualifications. However, those positions are generally open to local expats already sponsored in the UAE and not from job seekers outside the UAE.

and wrote:
Basically im thinking of doing an MA in tesol linguistics, but i heard that MA only increases your salary by 3k a year and im not sure whether this applies to Saudi or UAE as well. Any ideas?

That wouldn't apply to the UAE because an MA is required as the minimum qualification. In Saudi Arabia, salaries aren't one-size-fits-all and are calculated based on numerous factors; therefore, pay can vary widely. Additionally, being hired directly by a Saudi university offers better pay and benefits than employment with a contracting company (middleman).
gregsie74

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nomad
Thanks for your quick response, sorry forgot to mention

how does one apply via 'direct hire'? Basically google for dubai schools and email them? or is it best to have a job already in dubai then apply?

also is it easy to transfer from a saudi job to a dubai job? ie do they look on this transfer favourably or do they prefer recruiting from dubai?

Thanks
gregsie74

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:

University foundation year positions in the UAE require a related MA + a minimum of three years' university teaching experience gained after the MA. TEFL jobs with language schools require lesser qualifications. However, those positions are generally open to local expats already sponsored in the UAE and not from job seekers outside the UAE.

So basically direct hire for a uni position is best?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gregsie74 wrote:
how does one apply via 'direct hire'? Basically google for dubai schools and email them? or is it best to have a job already in dubai then apply?

Apparently, you misunderstood. The minimum for a university teaching position in the UAE is a related MA + at least 3 years' related university-level teaching experience. Your qualifications (two unrelated BAs + two years of classroom experience) won't get your CV a second look.

Local hire in the UAE is for those expats who are already in the country and holding legal residency through a sponsoring spouse or parent. These positions are typically for language schools and are not targeted to job seekers outside the UAE. Moreover, the pay is usually low and employers don't cover airfare, housing, and other benefits since the person is already a UAE resident.

and wrote:
also is it easy to transfer from a saudi job to a dubai job? ie do they look on this transfer favourably or do they prefer recruiting from dubai?

Transference from a Saudi sponsor to a UAE sponsor isn't possible---they're two different countries. As long as the applicant has the requisite qualifications, he/she is a viable candidate for the position regardless of the country.

and wrote:
So basically direct hire for a uni position is best?

Unlike Saudi Arabia, which relies heavily on contracting companies for staffing needs, UAE employers hire directly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: