Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First teaching job nerves

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
koko987

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: First teaching job nerves Reply with quote

Hi

Next month I will move to Spain to begin my first job as a EFL teacher. I have a Masters in TESOL and a CELTA, but I finished both around a year ago and haven't taught since. My only teaching experience was as a volunteer for a few months and was pretty much 'anything goes' where the school I worked for was just happy to have a native speaker.

I'm getting to the stage now where I'm beginning to get very nervous about my first teaching job and don't know what to expect, what I should be doing to prepare and what the school I will be working at will realistically expect from me (they know I have no experience). I did some teaching on my Masters but the course was more theoretical in nature and even though I feel I have a pretty good idea of what makes a decent teacher my doubts stem from the fact that I haven't demonstrated I can do this yet.

Is it normal to feel really nervous before you start teaching? Is there anything you'd suggest to get through this? I really don't want my nerves to hinder my performance as a teacher.

I'd appreciate any helpful comments/ thoughts
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is normal to feel a little nervous. At least, if you are conscientious about doing a good job.

What I have always found useful for me in calming nerves is to imagine the lesson from the learners' point of view. What do they need? What difficulties will they have? What solutions will address those issues? How can such and such a language item or task be made easier for them?

Quite soon, I have forgotten about my problems and then am stuck into delivering a lesson, quite calmly. Student-centredness is good for teachers too.

Your school should be able to provide you with any additional support you may need. They know you have limited experience, so it is their responsibility to assist you when you are starting off. And in their self-interest too.

So, relax. Read up a little. And enjoy your teaching job.

Best of luck.
baa_baa

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi.

its normal..

its important that the students like you, that you have authority, and that you are doing your best.

You have an MA and a CELTA you dont need to worry at all.

Spain sounds exciting.. Im sure you ll enjoy it there during your stay.

Whenever you are a foreigner people will like you. So you already have a plus.

Dont worry about anything. Be fair, be prepared, and do your best. In the long run they will appreciate you. Dont forget if they hadnt l ike you they wouldnt have hired you. SO CHEEERS!

Dont ever bring up your experience. Its no ones business. Unfortunately there will be jealous people.

Dont bring up mistakes that you do in class. That will bite you in the ass.
Dont fall behind in schedule. So if you need to be on unit 5. You better be on unit 5.

Dont share how you do your things, teachings, checking assignments, etc. Its no ones business.

Dont talk about the administration. People take it and twist things around.

Goodluck and enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: