Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Americans- had bags searched by TSA stateside?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Noelle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Americans- had bags searched by TSA stateside? Reply with quote

Hi all

This question is mostly for American expats living in the M.E., or for those who've flown through the U.S. or visited the U.S. between stays in the Middle East. I'm just wondering how many of you have had your checked bags opened and physically searched in a U.S. airport? Just trying to figure out if there is a connection between this 'random' searching of my bag and my destination here in this part of the world. This has never happened to me when I've flown to or from any other country, into or out of the States.

I spoke with a TSA representative and was told they only open and hand search checked baggage if an alarm goes off. But I can't imagine what would have been in my bag to trigger an alarm. My friend here in the Gulf just informed me it's happened to her too, but only when she's flown to or from the Middle East. Hmmm? Or hmph..??!
diced260

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a long while I was triple searched and had my bags physically inspected on every international flight. Most of those were not between the US and ME. On one occasion I had been flagged and was pulled into a back room and questioned by an agent working with/for the CIA. The questioning continued by the "good cop" even after I had been let go to catch my connection. I was also followed by a rather conspicuous undercover officer and when I finally found my bag another officer was leading the bomb sniffing dog away.

They seemed to have learned everything they wanted to over the years, because now I hardly get a second glance going through the airports. It took me awhile to get used to, but it's nice!
Noelle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay- thanks for sharing.

I've been threatened with a strip search (in LAX) but it was right after 9/11, the exact same year actually, and so I kind of understand. But I kicked up such a big fuss about it in the airport and demanded a female agent do the search (as I'm female), that the guy just finally let me go. Think I had a reason to be indignant then...

Just wondered if I had a reason to be indignant now about having my bag randomly searched. I was thinking it was because of where I was headed, but perhaps not. I'd still like to know why. The little document they left in my bag states that they do random searches for prohibited items. When I called the number at the bottom and asked about it, the rep told me they only do it when an alarm is triggered. I'd like to know why their materials don't match what their representatives say!

Anyhow- I'm sure I'll get over it. I just got back to the Gulf and have only just now opened the bag to find things in disarray. Needless to say, I'm a bit miffed!
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on my experience from having lived in two "suspect" Mid East countries, I'd say there's no connection; I've always breezed through US Customs. TSA hand-checked my purse once, but it was because their scanner detected a suspicious object: my bullet-shaped, USB flash drive.
Noelle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much Diced and Nomad Soul. I'll stop with all the conspiracy theories now. Appreciate the quick replies.

I'd still like to know why it happened though and plan to follow up on it...
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of them is reading your posts on fora like this ? And then organising the bag searches ? This is the road to paranoia !
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had friends who were routinely hassled for years coming to the US from the Middle East after 911. It was NOT random. Some avoided coming back at all for a few years. But this has settled down in the last 2-3 years. But it was annual strip searches... interrogations... it was nasty stuff when one considers that we are mere language teachers.

One year I did get called back to security from the gate in O'Hare because something flagged on the x-rays done then. At that time, they made you open the luggage, so I did. I was coming from Oman... and had brought a "box" of the UHT milk - which I like in my tea. It wasn't available where my parent's live. But because of the metallic insides of the milk container, it wouldn't x-ray. She ruffled through the suitcase until she found said 'suspicious box' and looked at it questioningly... and said "milk"? Like most Americans she had never heard of UHT milk that can sit unrefrigerated for up to 6 months. She said powdered? I shook it and when she heard it slosh around, she laughed, put it back in my suitcase, had me lock it, and sent me back to the gate.

Personally I wouldn't follow through on it. It was probably something innocuous like my milk carton, but they don't bother to record such stuff. Don't make a name for yourself with these people. They are only a small step from the Gestapo and can make your life miserable... and there isn't a darn thing you can do about it.

VS
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did. I had a metal bike frame. I live in Korea.

My mom was stopped for a hair dryer. Coming from Peru anyone looking Peruvian had to get their bags X Rayed after they came off the plane. Drugs I suppose.

Last edited by naturegirl321 on Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
caliph

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always bring back gold jewelry and declare it. (carried in backpack). They usually like to look at it, so they can direct me to pay some duty, never very much.

One time I had some prescribed codeine medication. I was standing at the counter as they prepared to dig in my backpack. Fortunately a plane from Columbia arrived and next to me when they unzipped a suitcase two big brightly colored parrots flew out. They quickly lost interest in me and told me to go. Allah karim!

Never had my suitcases checked in dozens of trips.
rtm

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Americans- had bags searched by TSA stateside? Reply with quote

Noelle wrote:
I'm just wondering how many of you have had your checked bags opened and physically searched in a U.S. airport?
One of my checked bags gets checked probably one in 5 times I travel (nothing has ever been taken out, but I find those notes in the bag saying it's been searched). I have never noticed any difference based on where i am traveling to/from, whether it's the Middle East, Asia, or Europe.
Jultime

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't count how many times my bags have been searched flying between the US and Canada.

Seemed I was always being harassed by US immigration whenever I was returning to the States on my permanent resident card and Canadian passport. Guess they never liked the fact that I lived in the States for 18 years without taking citizenship. I eventually returned to Canada and happily gave up my PR card to the border agent in 2011.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also had my backs searched leaving the US and coming in from Mexico - numerous time. The last flight BOTH my bags had that lovely little thing the TSA puts inside when they open your bags AND things were missing from one bag as well. This is actually the second time in ten years that I have had something missing after the TSA searched, but that is another whole topic. I remember coming on a flight from Central America that had originated in Columbia and EVERYONE was gone over with a fine tooth comb. So I don't think it is specifically people coming from the Middle East. I basically think it boils down to two things, they do it because they can, and because a sizable number of them are A-holes looking for loot. This time it was a $50 dollar bottle of perfume, the last time it was Beanie Babies, so nothing too major - but still bothers me.
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
I have also had my backs searched leaving the US and coming in from Mexico - numerous time. The last flight BOTH my bags had that lovely little thing the TSA puts inside when they open your bags AND things were missing from one bag as well. This is actually the second time in ten years that I have had something missing after the TSA searched, but that is another whole topic. I remember coming on a flight from Central America that had originated in Columbia and EVERYONE was gone over with a fine tooth comb. So I don't think it is specifically people coming from the Middle East. I basically think it boils down to two things, they do it because they can, and because a sizable number of them are A-holes looking for loot. This time it was a $50 dollar bottle of perfume, the last time it was Beanie Babies, so nothing too major - but still bothers me.

But..but, doncha feel safer...jes' a lil' bit?
Noelle

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about safer, but I feel better after reading 'The Fifth Column's' location- his habitude…

I did contact TSA again to ask them why their agents told me one thing and their little 'bag insert' said another. The man I spoke to claimed to be a supervisor and he did say that it was possible my bag had been searched because of the airport code on the luggage tag-- MCT. He admitted that they do sometimes search bags bound for or coming from the Middle East.

As far as the alarm story is concerned, that appears to be a complete excuse, or fabrication. He said they do have to keep a record of searches performed when an alarm is triggered. The fact that mine has no record indicates that no alarm was triggered. I gave him the names of the two 'agents' I spoke to over the phone who told me this story and he claimed that he would look into it.

I don't actually care at this point. I was just grateful to be right... for once in my conspiracy theory driven life! Oh, and nothing was damaged or missing, thank God.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: