Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lesson Subject Matter
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Lesson Subject Matter Reply with quote

Since some folks found this topic of equal interest to the current employment and legal/political situation for teachers in the FSU so it seemed better to open a thread where you can pursue the topic without derailing the thread completely.

Everybody has their own styles, mannerisms and methods of teaching. While I've seen and heard of schools which attempt to restrict these topics it hasn't been my inclination to work for them. As far as I am concerned whatever the students wish to discuss is fair game. I've had Muslims discuss their religion and those of others, ME women consider women's rights and freedoms, Russian and Ukrainians discuss historical and current events, differences in educational systems, Catholics elaborate on birth control and abortion, the list is long.

How is your style affected by the area you are teaching in? When conducting discussion, selecting readings or building vocabulary do you refuse to discuss current events? Legal realities or philosophical questions? Medical conditions and incidence rates? Racial discrimination and political repression?

What's your reaction when your students bring you an article for critical consideration or ask your opinion of drinking alcohol or age gap relationships? Do you duck and run, remind them that there are certain things that must not be talked about or seek to have a discussion on the issues?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonniboy wrote:
ecocks wrote:
I don't "pursue" anyone. When students disappear I attempt contact but once it was clear they were stopping all I am concerned about is paying off their final bill. My only concerns at the time were with regard to whether the time was available on my schedule and the bill was paid.

Yeah, that's fair enough. I started taking a deposit off my privates as I had the nonsense with them disappearing without a word as well (nothing to do with political discussions. Wink) If they don't come and don't give me reasonable notice I take it out of the deposit. If they vanish, they lose their deposit. I'm sorry I didn't adopt such a policy earlier.

Regarding what you said though, another issue is that, even if they don't feel insulted, a lot of students just aren't interested in meaty political discussions, any more than you or I might be interested in discussing developments in quantum physics, Ukrainian literature, trends in nail art or which actor is shagging who. The first two can also help develop critical thinking, so who are we to say that politics, economics and social issues are where it's at? Nail art and celebrity gossip will be of interest to a lot more students, sadly.

Depending on the size of the market you're in, I'd say there's a reasonable chance you've lost more than seven students, as some potential private students will have been put off by the prospect of what you're (unofficially) aiming to do in the lesson with them. If you're not bothered by that, then good luck, but I rely a lot on word of mouth to get new clients, so it's not a road I'd go down. Each to their own.

I think you sort of miss the point that these are just line items on a long list of subjects.

BTW, have you ever noticed that none of Ukraine's literary figures are very current, say within the last 40 years? Why might this be?

On a humorous note, I had a female student tell me to drop my pants in a company conference room one day. I was concerned but she was adamant that she had to check an injury halfway between my groin and my knee.

She was enormously impressed....by the effect of three days application of Neosporin on the 14 cm cut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jonniboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:

I think you sort of miss the point that these are just line items on a long list of subjects.

BTW, have you ever noticed that none of Ukraine's literary figures are very current, say within the last 40 years? Why might this be?

Dunno, as I could write my knowledge of Ukrainian literature on the back of a postage stamp. That's exactly my point, one man's meat is another man's poison. Politics and social issues will always be a niche interest.

I mean, imagine an analogous situation, you decide to improve your Russian. Let's say for argument's sake that, like me, you're British. The teacher decides that fashion and first appearances are super important and starts asking you why all British people "are dressed for crap" and don't care more for their appearance in contrast to the "stylish Russians?"

Would you

a) feel grateful to her for enlightening you and helping you "think more critically" about how you dress?

or

b) feel a bit insulted, even if you reckon she has a point?

A lot of people would fall into the second category.

The point is, even if the teacher is right, there are some things best avoided. Tact and diplomacy do come with the territory.

Often, when students bring politics or other controversial topics up in private lessons, it's like Facebook posts. They're asking for affirmation, not a discussion, and they certainly don't want an argument or to be challenged.

Essentially, they just want to sound off about their personal bugbears and the foreign language practice is a bonus. I usually just sit back, nod neutrally and make a note of the mistakes, as that's what they're really there for. Replying with "But don't you think that...?" is rarely a vote winner and will just alienate students and end up with them backstabbing you/ spitefully misrepresenting your views to other potential students.
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your "Dressed for crap" comment is a bit out of left field and seems designed to foster the contention you envision. What makes you think that's the way someone approaches a conversation? However, if there was an article in the Telegraph or on Reuter's that the Brits were wearing frumpy clothes with poor fashion sense it would be one of the options for the day's discussions. Another might be the invasion of Lughansk or the referendum in Crimea or whether women have ample access to education in Central Asian countries.

As for the rest, I don't know about you but sometimes I want to hear them express, other times they need to hear a challenge and formulate response.

To get off the political horse, another example would be one time when I taught 3 Azeri girls to make chicken salad using English as the language of instruction and we had a grand time in the kitchen that day. There were protests that I was "doing it wrong" but we stayed with an American-style recipe. At the end each left with a half kilo in a plastic container and I had 30 Euro on the table to go with almost 4 kilos of chicken salad for the next week.

We should note that none of them seemed inclined to become chefs but they were pleasantly surprised to realize they spent almost three hours speaking nothing but English.

Another time we took a tour of the country's mud volcanoes, in English. Despite their comments that they had been before they were pushed to explain to the half-dozen American and Brit teachers I brought along what we were seeing - i n E n g l i s h.

Again, I am not so sure any of them aspired to become tour guides.

My belief is that the content drives new areas of vocabulary as well as increases them to integrate their English construction skills and vocabulary acquisition. You can keep writing K N I F E on the whiteboard 20 times over a couple of weeks and have them make up sentences about it for homework lessons but nothing beats three hours in the kitchen asking for a bigger one, can you clean it and so on. All while chopping, slicing, de-boning, etc.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ecocks wrote:
Your "Dressed for crap" comment is a bit out of left field and seems designed to foster the contention you . However, if there was an article in the Telegraph or on Reuter's that the Brits were wearing frumpy clothes with poor fashion sense it would be one of the options for the day's discussions.

It's one example I recall from a New English file based lesson I observed many moons ago. The point about the imaginary Russian teacher and the clothes analogy is that I've heard locals coming off with stuff like that and it's really just the flip side. They think they know better about fashion and westerners are just total ignoramuses, even if I'm not totally convinced that nails that look like talons maketh the woman Laughing

ecocks wrote:
As for the rest, I don't know about you but sometimes I want to hear them express, other times they need to hear a challenge and formulate response.

To get off the political horse, another example would be one time when I taught 3 Azeri girls to make chicken salad using English as the language of instruction and we had a grand time in the kitchen that day. There were protests that I was "doing it wrong" but we stayed with an American-style recipe. At the end each left with a half kilo in a plastic container and I had 30 Euro on the table to go with almost 4 kilos of chicken salad for the next week.

Now we know the real reason those seven students left, sweat beating down their brows from cooking for you. Wink Seriously, I think there's a vast difference between discussing non-controversial topics like food and volcanoes and "meatier" political topics. Some people have thin skins and it's an area I'd tread carefully in.
ecocks

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Students pick what they wish to discuss or ask me to pick for them. I'm pretty much scanning headlines and thinking about vocabulary options and how complex the subject matter is.

Travel, politics, education, fashion, trade, conflict, freedom/repression, sex, automobile designs, university courses.....lots of wonderful stuff out there for discussion that grows vocabulary.

Another factor was that they read my FB page. It was clear that one woman in particular was offended at my posts and lobbied her employer to cancel me. That one person cost me a total of four of the lost students.

No loss or shedding of crocodile tears, I was looking for students when I found them.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one TEFLtastic word for you: PARSNIP.

There are sound business reasons underlying it. Apart from any ethical or methodological, not to say legal reasons.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who don't know it:

no Politics, Alcohol, Religion, Sex, Narcotics, Isms or Pork.

Otherwise there is a strong chance your students will think you are a fruitcake. And drop you.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To each their own then, you make your living and I'll make mine.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I, too, avoid PARSNIPS in my classes, and have for over 15 years now. Definitely hasn't hurt my career.

Not that such things don't occasionally come up, but not guided or prodded or encouraged by me. But I teach in what could be volatile environments, as I noted on the other thread, and the stated goals of our courses don't really include expressing opinions on controversial topics as such.

Again, I still think that any uneducated babushka in any village in any country can do this proficiently; I disagree that it's a sign of high-level cognitive skills.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, we agree to disagree then.

Now, what do you do with the ones who keep spelling Center with the switched E and R?

Rolling Eyes
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree to disagree is exactly what students and teachers need to do in a language lesson. And perhaps on a forum for the profession too. Otherwise, there'd be skin and fur flying.

Why court controversy? It doesn't pay. In an way.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pays me.

YMMV.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avoiding parsnips, and student walk-outs, pays more.
ecocks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Avoiding parsnips, and student walk-outs, pays more.

Actually not, I run my schedule up to full and then stop.

When I have openings I take on new students.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: