Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL/language schools in QUITO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
unionpark

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:41 pm    Post subject: ESL/language schools in QUITO Reply with quote

I've been following eslcafe threads for many years, but this is my first posting in the Latin American forum. I'd appreciate some help. Can you please provide me with the names of any and all private ESL/language schools in QUITO? I've checked the Internet (eslbase.com, etc.) but I know for sure I can get updated and more helpful info on this forum. Please be mindful of my qualifications and desires (see below) when you recommend schools. Here's a little about me and what I'm looking for:

1) I want to teach adults (I have experience with YL's but would prefer not to teach them at this point in my life)

2) CELTA-certified with B.A.

3) NO Master's - NO teaching certificate

4) 14 years experience teaching (all levels, all subjects) mostly in Asia

5) Interested in teaching any ESL subject at any level, TOEFL, TOEIC, IELTS, and Business English

6) I'm 63 years old

Oh, and one more question please - in some countries (Korea for example), much of the hiring is done on the Internet. What about in Ecuador/Quito? Can resumes be sent via email with the hope that a job can be lined up, or is it the kind of place where you have to be there with resume in hand and knock on doors?

Thank you!
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means email your CV, but in the vast majority of cases you need to be there knocking on doors. It's rare for jobs to be advertised online, and even rarer to be hired sight unseen.

There are many small language schools, or private elementary/ high schools that will hire a few teachers, but obviously the latter are YL work. The bigger language schools have a mix of adult and kids classes. The main ones are:

British School of Language (was Southern Cross)
http://www.southerncross.com.ec/index.html

A CELTA is essential. They pay the best, but also expect the most from their teachers. Mostly adults but some YL work.

English First
http://www.ef.com.ec/contact/quito/

CELTA preferred but not essential. Pay is OK (for Ecuador). Preferential treatment is given to people who do the YL classes on Saturdays. They aren't compulsory, but it's hard to get the better/sufficient hours if you don't.

There is then a BIG drop in wages/quality down to Wall Street
http://www.wsi.com.ec/

Finally, there is EIL
http://www.eilecuador.org/EIL/ingles/home.aspx?idpag=50&idpag2=51

It is somewhat different from the others. Positions can sometimes be voluntary or semi voluntary with low wages. However, it has a reputation for being a great place to work.

I'd also suggest you try the Quito ex-pat group on FB. There is a guy there who regularly advertises for Business English teachers, which is presumably all adults. The wages are nothing special ($800/m IIRC but don't quote me on that) but if the hours aren't onerous it might work for you.
unionpark

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:55 am    Post subject: ESL/language schools in QUITO Reply with quote

Thank you HLJHLJ! I sent you a PM - will look forward to hearing back from you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: