Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

College of excellence Burayda
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tvik

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: College of excellence Burayda Reply with quote

I believe this is the first year open??? I was hired by HERTVEK (North Hertfordshire College) Any word on this school?
baa_baa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

school? I thought it was a univeristy.. or tertiary level.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tvik may be an American. In the US, a school is a place where a teacher stands in front of students, thus it covers all levels, primary, secondary, and tertiary. It has become generic...

Most of the world uses "school" for only primary/secondary. It is very confusing for educators from both sides of this term teaching together somewhere around the world. Cool

VS
baa_baa

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know that we use school for universities and colleges. like when i was in uni. i would say im at school.

but also in many countries they use college for high schools

now the forum is different. you know we are all sharing our offers and Im not sure of the term college meaning high school or not.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I would avoid any Gulf institution that has words like 'excellence' or 'exemplary' in the name purely on the grounds that I can only take absurdity so far...
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MuscatGary wrote:
Personally I would avoid any Gulf institution that has words like 'excellence' or 'exemplary' in the name purely on the grounds that I can only take absurdity so far...

LOL... yes, it is one of those phrases that makes ones eyes start to roll.

I've seen the word "college" used for a primary school in the UAE. In Egypt, Cairo American College is a K-12. Add to that Americans tendency to refer to everything as a "school" it becomes a situation of constant confusion for most of us.

VS
baa_baa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...? I'm still confused

Is this a college or is it a high school?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baa_baa wrote:

I thought this was your constant condition Ms baa baa... LOL

You will just have to wait for our OP to come back and tell you. Since s/he says that it is the first year, I doubt anyone else knows for sure.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baa_baa wrote:

It's a vocational school:

Quote:
Colleges of Excellence (CoE) will offer quality vocational training programs through public private partnerships with global top level training providers in the Kingdom.

CoE offer certificates and diplomas in specialized application areas for high school graduates who are Saudis or sons and daughters of Saudi mothers. In addition, during the preparatory year, CoE focuses on developing foundation skills including English language and communication skills.

Source: http://coe.com.sa/Defaulte.aspx
baa_baa

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you : )
Savvy1

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also been offered a Job by them, but i am currently employed by an Institute in Riyadh. I have reasons to resign (too many to list here) and I am sure my present employer will object to my leaving. Does anyone know what is the process for resigning here, I mean transferring Iqama, signing a new contract and just moving on to a new Job in KSA? Is it at all possible?
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savvy1 wrote:
I have also been offered a Job by them, but i am currently employed by an Institute in Riyadh. I have reasons to resign (too many to list here) and I am sure my present employer will object to my leaving. Does anyone know what is the process for resigning here, I mean transferring Iqama, signing a new contract and just moving on to a new Job in KSA? Is it at all possible?

Read your contract regarding termination, but generally, you'd need to give a 30-day notice of resignation. However, terminating your employment prior to your contract end date means you'll have to head back to your home country and start the employment process again, from scratch, if you want to work for another Saudi employer.
fridgemagnet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
Savvy1 wrote:

Read your contract regarding termination, but generally, you'd need to give a 30-day notice of resignation. However, terminating your employment prior to your contract end date means you'll have to head back to your home country and start the employment process again, from scratch, if you want to work for another Saudi employer.

Does that mean that you don't have to go back to your home country if you wait till the contract end date and want to transfer to another Saudi employer?
rollingk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As NS as said, finishing your contract would leave you without a sponsor, so in order to get a new one you'd have to go thru the procedure in your home country again. However, were you to obtain permission to transfer your iqama, and if the prospective employer would accept that transfer, then this could be done without having to travel back to your home country. Only with a transfer can this be avoided.

The employment laws are set up so that employees must remain supplicants to their employers. You may have to come up with a "good reason" for a transfer (one that doesn't paint your present job in a bad light, and that gives your employer a high place from which to grant such a "boon"). In short, you'd likely have to stroke an infantile ego, while avoiding anything remotely like the truth altogether.

Some folks will not do this. Some are expert at doing it, and some do it every day as part of the expression of who they are.
fridgemagnet

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if your employer is in the red or yellow category? Can you transfer to another company internally without their permission?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: