Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Lecteur d’anglais" in France - competitive?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpjf

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:06 pm    Post subject: "Lecteur d’anglais" in France - competitive? Reply with quote

Hi

Just wondering, has anyone ever applied for the lecteur d’anglais positions in France? As far as I know, the places go to exchange students and then what’s left is advertised and you teach English in a French university and get approximately 1,200 euros after tax. I'd really like to do this to improve my French and wouldn't mind at all if it were in a less popular city (e.g. I'm not particularly interested in Paris)

I’m a UK national, so no visa problems. I have an MA in TESOL, will have a PGCE by next summer, and have about B1 in French, though not sure if they’re looking for people with a higher level of French (?).

So I’m just wondering does anyone know how competitive these places are? My plan was either to apply for this or the JET programme in Japan, but I’d prefer to do this lecteur d’anglais 1-2 years before making a life for myself in Asia, maybe starting off with the JET programme. Problem with JET programme is deadline is quite early (Nov/Dec for starting the next year) so I wouldn't be able to apply to French unis and if no luck try the JET programme. But, if it seems it’s really hard to get on maybe I’ll just apply for JET as if I don’t get into the French university not sure what I’d do. So, in short it would be really useful if someone had more info!

Also, people talk about Asia vs. Europe and how teaching is very different, so I wonder would it be better for my experience to just go to Japan or would French university experience be worthwhile experience for Asia? (e.g. my eventual goal would be getting into the Hong Kong NET programme). I say this because with JET you’re like an assistant whereas in the French university I’d be the sole teacher and wonder if that's better for your C.V.

Money isn't really my concern at the moment, it's experience I want.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Dedicated

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay in replying but I rarely check the France board.

I did this a number of years ago and loved it as "maître de langue" with an MA.

I suggest you register with SAES :http://www.saesfrance.org

Also read an interesting blog about being a lecteur d'anglais:

http://www.blog.parisunraveled.com/how-to-apply-for-a-job-as-a-lecteur-danglais-in-a-french-university

I had offers from 3 universities and chose Lyon.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated wrote:

http://www.blog.parisunraveled.com/how-to-apply-for-a-job-as-a-lecteur-danglais-in-a-french-university

Great. I hope that you're enjoying it.
kpjf

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dedicated wrote:

Sorry about the delay as well (I have just seen your message). I ended up getting a job as a lecteur d'anglais at the last moment as someone had changed their mind about the job and they needed someone ASAP.

I have an MA but only got the "lecteur d'anglais" post. My boss told me universities generally don't want to recruit people as maître de langue because it means giving them more money. Actually, none of my fellow native English teachers on the same contract as me have a master's. I originally though an MA was required for this post.

Dedicated, how is your French if you don't mind me asking? I think I saw an ad for Lyon University and it said you need "excellent" French. Lyon would have been my first choice but I was lucky getting the job I got due to timing. Reason I ask is that my French is just intermediate so wondered as you got a job there and I'd maybe like to try my second time in Lyon. Were they able to give you extra hours there? Cheers
MissFrantastic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:00 am    Post subject: re lecteur position in France Reply with quote

Hey,

This is probably really late and I'm guessing you've already made a decision. If not though, I'd say go for it. I did it for two years here in Caen, and it was mostly a great experience. I'm even still living here, so it can't have been too bad!

In terms of your French, B1 is fine - depending on what the university wants you to teach, it might be necessary to explain a few things in French to the less able students, especially with bigger groups. I'm sure you'll be fine though, as with a PGCE you'll have a lot more experience than I did when I started! My first week I was asked to start teaching subject-specific English to a large (40 students) mixed-ability group of Geography students… and that's just one example of the sink-or-swim technique that seems common re lecteurs.

I could be wrong and it could just be this uni, but if they say you're being recruited just to teach English to actual students of English, be aware that that can all change very quickly. If you're looking for good experience to put on your CV for JET, then it's perfect - not only will you be solely in charge of your classes, you may need to design the whole course and put together the assessments if you're being loaned out to another department. Fun! (No sarcasm intended, promise.)

In terms of pay, it's ok, depending on where you are going and rent etc, obviously. If you do overtime hours, then the pay for those is quite good. The only unfortunate thing is that for some unknown reason, French universities appear to think that people love doing overtime so much that they don't need to be paid for it until the end of the academic year. Again different universities will vary in how long they take to pay you this money, and it is getting better. My first year, I didn't get the overtime money until November of my second academic year. The second year, I only had to wait until October, and this year there are crazy rumours going about of being paid in July!

Sorry for the long reply, especially if it's completely redundant. Good luck and enjoy, whatever you end up doing!
Shakey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The salary for lecteur d'anglais positions is 1,200 Euro a month, is that right? That's only about US $1,300 a month. I'm shocked that the salaries are so low.

I was expecting that those positions would pay around 3,000 Euro a month. Are there any university TEFL positions in France that would have a salary of about 3,000 ~ 4,000 Euro a month?
Kofola

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lecteur is just a teaching assistant (also poorly paid in the UK). If you want to earn the kind of salary you are talking about you will have to qualify as a lecturer. The only foreigners I know who have lecturer positions in France have the agregation, but EU rules might mean that is not necessary these days. Some info on what is required: http://www.eui.eu/ProgrammesAndFellowships/AcademicCareersObservatory/AcademicCareersbyCountry/France.aspx#AccessibilityforNon-Nationals
Shakey

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kofola wrote:
A lecteur is just a teaching assistant (also poorly paid in the UK). If you want to earn the kind of salary you are talking about you will have to qualify as a lecturer. The only foreigners I know who have lecturer positions in France have the agregation, but EU rules might mean that is not necessary these days. Some info on what is required: http://www.eui.eu/ProgrammesAndFellowships/AcademicCareersObservatory/AcademicCareersbyCountry/France.aspx#AccessibilityforNon-Nationals

Thank you for the info. I've never heard of the process of agregation. Looking at the website, the whole scheme seems to be somewhat complicated and bureaucratic.

Interesting to note that postdocs earn more than 1st and 2nd year Assistant Professors.
kpjf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shakey wrote:
The salary for lecteur d'anglais positions is 1,200 Euro a month, is that right? That's only about US $1,300 a month. I'm shocked that the salaries are so low.

I was expecting that those positions would pay around 3,000 Euro a month. Are there any university TEFL positions in France that would have a salary of about 3,000 ~ 4,000 Euro a month?

You'd have to be working as a licensed teacher in the UK for years and years to even get close to the equivalent of 4,000 euros a month. Are you a licensed teacher in some subject in your home country?

1,200 euros a month after tax for 10 hours a week is quite good IMO. On top of that you get almost 4 months holidays a year and you are paid for 12 full months.

Kofola wrote:
A lecteur is just a teaching assistant (also poorly paid in the UK).

It's not really a teaching assistant IMO. A teaching assistant usually takes half the class, does things like introductions for many groups (My name is, I come from...) and is thrown around from teacher to teacher with no actual class of his/her own. I have full control and have a regular group of students and nobody tells me what to prepare/do. I have full autonomy.

Quote:
If you want to earn the kind of salary you are talking about you will have to qualify as a lecturer. The only foreigners I know who have lecturer positions in France have the agregation, but EU rules might mean that is not necessary these days. Some info on what is required: http://www.eui.eu/ProgrammesAndFellowships/AcademicCareersObservatory/AcademicCareersbyCountry/France.aspx#AccessibilityforNon-Nationals

I think even if you're EU you need this. And, you'd need to be fluent in French.

Thanks for the comments MissFrantastic.

Glad you had a great experience in Caen! Not sure if you saw my later post I´m already doing the job, but thanks a lot for the useful info!
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a lecteur for two years in Northern France.

I'd say there's quite a lot of bad info given on this forum about what the position entails.

I got my position as I was a visiting lecturer for another subject and my boss wanted to lock me in to doing that. That's far from a standard route in, though. I was 30 when I did it but most of my colleagues were in their early to mid twenties. I was working at an LEA department so I thought the students would have a decent level but this wasn't the case!

The actual classes were a complete joke from a teaching perspective-you were thrown in with thirty or forty students ranging from elementary to advanced and expected to increase the level every week (we're talking about one hour's class a week...). In reality, though, you could do whatever you wanted and students numbers usually stabilised at around 10-15. No resources were available so this is something to consider if you're a newbie teacher. Having said that, there are now so many internet resources that this shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Most of the students were very nice (some troublemakers but they tended to stop coming) so the atmosphere is generally pleasant, but I felt a bit bad for them about the organisation. My school split the classes into grammar classes, listening and speaking, reading and writing. This patently didn't work as any decent EFL teacher would be able to tell them.

You are not a 'teaching assistant' as somebody said. You get your own classes and never have to assist another teacher in theirs.

Regarding salary, I can't believe I saw somebody complain about it. You will never earn a better salary as an EFL teacher. You are paid something like 1200 euros every month (for the whole year) but only teach a few hours a week each semester. You will also be free to do additional hours at another school if you wish. It's a terrible system for the students and taxpayer but those teachers complaining about the salary need to get real. I think I worked out my hourly teaching rate and it was about 70 euros per hour.

So , would I recommend it? Yes! The university I was at maybe the exception with regards to disorganisation (though I doubt it) but, generally, the students are nice and the pay is unbeatable.
kpjf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicky_McG wrote:
I was a lecteur for two years in Northern France.

I'd say there's quite a lot of bad info given on this forum about what the position entails.

Care to point this out? Just curious. I did already address the assumption that we are language assistants.

Nicky_McG wrote:

Regarding salary, I can't believe I saw somebody complain about it. You will never earn a better salary as an EFL teacher.

I think that was just because the person didn't realise the hours were only about 10 a week. Absolute minimum for a lecteur d'anglais is 200 hours for the whole year and if you don't do 200 you'll need to make it up somehow. A bit more than a "few".

I agree about the bad organisation. Seems common in France. Doubt it's an exception!
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard lecteurs complain about the pay. A lot of people just look at the monthly salary and don't realise that it's basically a part-time job. Some lecteurs get away with murder in terms of content to be honest.

Quote:
I think that was just because the person didn't realise the hours were only about 10 a week. Absolute minimum for a lecteur d'anglais is 200 hours for the whole year and if you don't do 200 you'll need to make it up somehow. A bit more than a "few".

200 hours a year over a couple of semesters is a walk in the park if we're being honest.

In terms of bad info, there are lots of posts saying how competitive it is to become a lecteur. It's not (at least in Northern France). There is a lot of bad info about hours worked compared to salary and, finally, nobody ever seems to mention that if you want to work at a university there are about a million private ones where you can get work.
kpjf

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There is a lot of bad info about hours worked compared to salary

Can you provide us with the links for this bad info?

Quote:

In terms of bad info, there are lots of posts saying how competitive it is to become a lecteur. It's not (at least in Northern France).

So, what you're saying is that in one region of France it's not competitive so that means the job isn't competitive? It seems pretty competitive to me, generally speaking (evidently for the hourly rate/excellent holidays). One example on a thread I read was that Paris Ouest received 150 applications for 9 positions. Naturally, the north of France will be much less in demand and surely won't receive anywhere near that amount, but I doubt universities up there would be struggling to fill their posts, so how is it bad info to say this position is competitive? My ex-boss has received a lot of applications this year (north France).

Quote:
and, finally, nobody ever seems to mention that if you want to work at a university there are about a million private ones where you can get work.

Can you provide us with more info about this? What is the salary like in comparison to the lecteur d'anglais positions in private universities in general? Is there no 2 years limit here? Could be interesting to look at. Thanks.
Nicky_McG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can you provide us with the links for this bad info?

I'm not going searching through the threadss but there's some in this very thread and I've seen people in the past working it out that it's the same as a minimum wage job. Being a lecteur is a part-time job that only lasts a portion of the year. The only reason you wouldn't do, at least, the same number of hours again on top of that is because you're doing a post-graduate qualification. If you can't handle the number of hours required to be a lecteur then you're almost certainly in the wrong job. Though, I'd forgive a newbie for feeling this way.

Quote:
So, what you're saying is that in one region of France it's not competitive so that means the job isn't competitive?

No, I said it's not competitive in Northern France. I've been offered it twice just by sending an email asking for work (obviously I couldn't take it after having done it already). Paris will be an exception as everybody wants to go there (misguidedly might I add). If you've got your head screwed on (you'd be surprised how many people don't) you'll get a position.

Quote:
Can you provide us with more info about this? What is the salary like in comparison to the lecteur d'anglais positions in private universities in general? Is there no 2 years limit here? Could be interesting to look at. Thanks.

There's no two-year limit but the salary is not as good as that of a lecteur. You can probably expect to earn between about 35 euros (this is really the lowest and I probably wouldn't accept it now) - 50 euros an hour. Be warned, however, if you're under 25 it will be more difficult (though not impossible) to find work as employers don't like you to be too close in age to your students (the students don't particularly like this either). You can probably get around this by not turning up for an interview or class dressed like a student (again you'd be surprised at the number of people who don't understand why this would be a problem)

Your holiday pay will be incorporated into this. Usually, you'll be offered a CDII after a year so your pay will be spread over 12 months. The best way to get it is just by sending CVs to as many schools as possible (though once you have one position your name gets known amongst recruiters). You'll never get a position as good as lecteur again but I've got a mortgage, a kind-of permanent contract and about 4 months off every year so I'd say I'm doing OK.

When I look at this forum and see that people are working for 20 euros an hour in Paris I do wonder why nobody is suggesting private universities and business schools. With all tha taxes and social charges in France, I don't know how anyone could survive on that money, at least in the long-term.
kpjf

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I am the wrong side of 30 actually, ha. In fact when I recommended an older friend (with good French ability, PGCE & MA in TESOL) to take over my job, my boss said she preferred someone closer to the age of the students. This surprised me given my friend's qualifications and the other lecteurs alongside me didn't seem to have any formal qualifications, so she seemed to prefer someone young yet less experienced. Though maybe she was the exception here from what you say regarding age.

I'd gladly accept 35 euros an hour in France in one of the private unis (though not Paris). In the city I was in Wall Street offered a measly 12 euros an hour! Talking about that, 20 euros an hour in Paris?! I wonder how anyone can survive on that with the living costs there. What kind of existence is that? But with demand and supply... if people are accepting it, employers will offer it! Maybe some people are just so desperate to work in Paris they'll accept peanuts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: