Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shamal Solutions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rollerblader

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:59 am    Post subject: Shamal Solutions Reply with quote

I have it on good authority from co-workers that male teachers are railroaded out away from the warksite. Shamal Solution's advert for new teachers explicitly states "female teachers are strongly encouraged to apply"

There is entirely too much teacher turnover which is usually due to dismal/malicious management, and smacks of "small man syndrome" to me. The upper management are aware of lower management's bullying tactics, but do nothing because of sociopathic effectiveness on the job. All future teachers wanting that 22000 Dirham salary are duly warned.

Roller
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you read this thread about this organization?

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=99916

You should probably add your post to that thread. At least your post suggests that the company and jobs actually exist... because up to now none of their current or ex teachers have shown up to confirm that.

But, I'm not sure what you mean by
Quote:
male teachers are railroaded out away from the warksite.

Where are their teachers working? Who are the students? Where are their locations?

VS
rollerblader

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Shamal Solutions Reply with quote

The company does exist and the program is located on a military base very near the vehicle inspection station in Al-Ain. The students are military cadets chosen for various helicopter programs in the military. Those fabulous salaries exist, and at least six male teachers have been railroaded out of the program. Those who do not give in to work place bullying are pressured to resign through clever manipulation, or they flee in the middle of the night.

The program is ran by a sociopath and all of the teachers are afraid (actually terrified) of the manager.
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They, indeed, do exist. A mate of mine is the SAT Analyst. I don't think that he would encourage me to work there.

P.s.- A bunch of guys who coordinate with each other wearing desert camoflage dungerees does NOT a military make!
rollerblader

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Shamal solutions hiring again Reply with quote

Any man naive enough to teach for Shamal Solutions is going to find that working for a sociopath is impossible. How many MEN have been pushed out the door in the last few years?
Chris P. Bacon

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:53 pm    Post subject: Shamal Solutions Reply with quote

Yep, Rollerblader is correct. Shamal Solutions is simply Spectre resurrected from the dead. 22000 clams per month is nothing to turn your nose up at, but you will suffer mightily should you sign up for the gravy train. Many teachers have done runners from this very small organization. Language section management within Shamal is pure evil and manipulates everything in its radar be they Emirati military officers, Emirati students, or co workers to suit the needs of management. The aviation language school at the Al Ain Airport have also suffered significantly from Shamal bullying.

Stay away if you value your dignity.

Cris P. Bacon
Nouran

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Shamal Reply with quote

I can relate to all these posts about the English Dept management. I worked for Spectre, now Shamal-- and he came on board after me....One Saturday I got called into the base, with a room full of people I had a good rapport with PRIOR and during the new management.

I later found out they were all shocked that he gave word that I was basically worthless. Told a pile of lies in the meeting to have me fired. His big thing was to listen outside the door "so not to disturb the students" therefore you never knew what he heard, and then could make up complete lies about one's teaching skills.

I taught with the Defense Language Institute program and followed the book to the best of my abilities. One day I learned the students could not tell time which was part of the book. So I spent a few days to teach them the appropriate reading of time outside a digital clock. He said during the meeting to have me fired, "the students aren't learning anything and are behind the other groups". I chose the "slower group", based on scores to divide them into three groups, b/c I have a Master's in Counseling and have worked in the past teaching basics to slower students.

He had me fired basically because the owner's neice was my roommate, which I had no clue she was the owner's neice until later, and she was an immature, whiney, backstabbing, wench. She called management guy for anything I did, was so annoying. She cried in the bathroom for attention, complained about everything-- thought I was working at Romper Room.

He also hated my attorney boyfriend (we moved together for this job) at the time, who also worked for Spectre. They lived together. But he didn't have the ability to get him fired although he tried.

He is worthless, doesn't care about employees, or he would help them not just can them. Passive aggressively. It does not surprise me he is not well liked. And was clueless about the culture, coming from some Asian country.
I had lived in the UAE numerous times before this nightmare. I was sent on a plane back to the US the following day, like I had committed some crime.

Spectre was a good company, paid on time, nice apt (although I got stuck with Satan's daughter), good Special Ops instructors, but manager guy needed a serious reality check.

I would not recommend going there if he is in charge still. Plenty of jobs in Dubai.
genericusername

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 11:53 pm    Post subject: Shamal/Spectre Reply with quote

Spectre was a great company at one time. The ESL manager was slimy who required everyone to call him doctor because he got a D.Ed from some backwater school in North Carolina. He probably even makes his 20 year old Thai wife call him doctor, or maybe daddy or grandpa.

The general manager of Shamal, who had been the project manager of Spectre, is worse than the ESL manager. He is debarred from working on any U.S. government contracts because he was a V.P. at Blackwater and ran the section that was fined $42 million for arms control violations. He is a real scumbag and liar. He told many people lies about me.

The story about the CEOs niece is absolutely true, and it was one of the things that led to a coup in the main office that had the CEO fired and taken over by the COO.
rollerblader

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Shamal/Spectre Reply with quote

Psycho management has an affinity for New Yorkers who comport themselves in the classroom; although I am not sure why. It is very odd how a certain type of teacher gets the axe and another one gets a free ride for a year or so.

Caution
Nouran

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:50 pm    Post subject: Shamal/ Al Ain Reply with quote

I like the part where we were told we could not use "OK", although it was used in the DLI manual for Instructors. Dr Management informed us of that.

Yes, he favors, like owner's neice who whined and cried prior to classes on a daily basis, she was an effective teacher?????????????? He most likely rigs the scores to make himself look good, and therefore no one cans his lame bums.

Sad, b/c Al Ain is fun and the job could be very cush and promising.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: