Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Berlitz in the UAE Job Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeacherProspect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:35 pm    Post subject: Berlitz in the UAE Job Questions Reply with quote

Hello,

I am being considered for a job offer from Berlitz in the UAE (specifically in Al Ain) to teach ESL. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could share their experience with working with Berlitz in the UAE. What was the nature of the job like? What were the hours? How competitive is the salary and the benefits?

I also am being considered for a job offer to teach ESL with ScorePlus in Qatar in Doha.

What general advice would you have for me?

Again, I would greatly appreciate your comments.
I hope that I can also help you.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See "Berlitz - Dubai" (http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=92416) for a few comments. The person who interviewed you will be able to tell you about hours.

Are you a local hire (i.e., a current, legal resident of the UAE)? Language schools usually hire from the local expat community in order to keep salaries and benefits to a minimum. Plus, keep in mind that having Berlitz on your CV is a negative if you plan on moving up the TEFL ladder.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Berlitz in the UAE Job Questions Reply with quote

TeacherProspect wrote:
How competitive is the salary and the benefits?

Language Schools are pretty much the bottom of the barrel as far as pay and benefits all over the Gulf. (the exception is probably the British Council)

Nomad's linked thread tells the tale...

VS
TeacherProspect

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I guess I should have added some context to my post.

I am not looking to teach ESL as a career. I am teaching ESL to gain teaching experience before heading off to school again and then teaching another subject.

I don't have a Master's in TESOL or years of experience teaching ESL. I am thinking that Berlitz may be something for someone like me. I also really do not care about making the best salary that I can. I would be glad to teach full-time for around 25-35K USD with benefits.

I am currently teaching with ELS in California and I am having really bad experiences with the job market here in California. I see the UAE and Qatar as having a lot more opportunity.

The position in the UAE with Berlitz is a split shift and all of it is teaching I believe. But, since the materials are complete, some classes are one-on-one, and the classroom sizes are small I feel that I will manage well. If others can manage, then I know that I can. Anyways, I don't think they would overwork their employees to the point of being counterproductive.

I guess if no one has any direct experience then I will just contact my employer about my concerns.

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were just heading out to get some experience, with no educational credentials (and thus very low pay), the last place I would go would the Gulf as there are very few job opportunities at the bottom. The cost of living is higher than much of the US.

I don't see these language schools paying $3000 a month plus benefits. (pay is always stated monthly in the Middle East) I'd head to the Far East or South America. The reputation of language schools in the ME is long long hours with split shifts and they will work you to death for the lowest pay in the area.

Their definition of productive will be for you to produce as much possible income for them while they pay you the least amount of money. They are notorious as slave drivers...

VS
s2000000

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Berlitz/UAE Reply with quote

Hi Teacher Prospect,
Just wanted to ask, as you're not a local hire (?), is Berlitz going to include the air tickets in the contract (to join and at contract end) and what is the housing in Al Ain that they are offering ? An allowance or an actual flat?
Thanks.
D. Merit

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
I'd head to the Far East or South America.

Sound advice, to which I'd just add '...and avoid this company there too.'
TeacherProspect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

s2000000 - I have not received the contract yet. I will pm you later at that time.

Thanks for all of your comments.

I will see what the job offer is and I will take your comments into consideration.

I was offered a position (but as an Academic Tutor) in Qatar with ScorePlus/Princeton Review that was offering somewhere around 40k total with all of the benefits and housing included in that number. I emailed the teachers that were working there and they had nothing but great things to say. I am very eager to see what contract I will receive as an ESL Teacher with ScorePlus. I am not trying to make money to spend on superficial things, I am trying to save money to pay off my student debts.

I completely understand about Berlitz. They were offering an extremely low salary here in Los Angeles. So much so, I am not sure why anybody would consider working there. But here's something interesting that I was told by the employer. She told me that the split shifts was because of culture and not economics. The people want to be able to go back to their families for a while before going back to work.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeacherProspect wrote:
I was offered a position (but as an Academic Tutor) in Qatar with ScorePlus/Princeton Review that was offering somewhere around 40k total with all of the benefits and housing included in that number.

I am very eager to see what contract I will receive as an ESL Teacher with ScorePlus. I am not trying to make money to spend on superficial things, I am trying to save money to pay off my student debts.

In the meantime, do some research on Qatar's cost of living since you expect to save to pay off debts. For starters, see "Cost of Living in Doha Qatar" (http://www.onlineqatar.com/living/cost-of-living-qatar.aspx). Living in the UAE can hit your wallet as well, especially if you have to cover rent out of your salary.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TeacherProspect wrote:
She told me that the split shifts was because of culture and not economics. The people want to be able to go back to their families for a while before going back to work.

I don't know that I agree with that. It is as much that some work during the day and want classes in the evening.

Just like in the US.

But the real problem in the Gulf is the total inability to do a fair schedule allowing teachers to also arrange their work time around their requirements. For instance, many teachers might love to do all day classes and some might prefer to do evenings. But managements just slot everyone everywhere without ever consulting teachers or even putting the least bit of thought into it. So, you might be the teacher that gets all of the 7:30am classes and all the 9:30pm classes most days. While another teachers might be teaching all mornings. No rhyme or reason to it.

Been there... done that... Laughing

VS
TeacherProspect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments.
I am a lot more informed now.

TeacherProspect
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: