Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adjunct Teachers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
conwaypk

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working for anything under 15k is a joke? Since when Exclamation

I mean really, if it is...I need to get out of my 8,800.00 a month situation. I'm qualified and experienced too.

Honestly I hadn't even heard of adjunct teaching before.
jm21

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was already popular when I was in college 13 years ago....had one professor who commuted to three schools to teach his classes, all about 1.5-2 hours apart. You can make OK money maybe, but not like a tenured professor. They want to do away with tenure completely now. I didn't even think they were hiring new tenure-track professors..maybe at some really high-end universities.

You can make pretty good money teaching at community colleges though from what I saw. Not exactly sure how to land one of those jobs but they pay decently and the hours aren't too bad.

The whole job situation for those under 35 or so is going to absolute shit in America.

I did the calculations and my university gig is pretty similar as far as disposable income goes is pretty similar to making $35k/year in seattle (the only US city I'm pretty familiar with). And a lot of people there make less than that.
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

conwaypk wrote:

Honestly I hadn't even heard of adjunct teaching before.

In the west an adjunct professor is just a part-time teacher. Usually, and adjunct teaches one class and (usually) is not under contract beyond a semester, though they can sign two-semester contracts.

Technically, a teacher who has been farmed out by another school is not an adjunct teacher. He is bound by the contract of his home school, not the school to which he has been farmed out to.

The OP just read an article in Huffington Post and is trying to sound knowledgeable.

Happy Every Day
wangdaning

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only problem here is this has nothing to do with teaching in China. I am sure there are places to vent about adjunct teaching in the US. Why here?

I did report this to the mods.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay on topic. Trolling is a very dangerous business on this board and 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the time such behavior will result in permanent ejection along with your ISPs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: