Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Employment/work visa authorization process

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Employment/work visa authorization process Reply with quote

From Fragomen, October 2013
Source: http://www.fragomen.com/newsresources/xprNewsDetailFrag.aspx?xpST=CountrySummaries&news=43

EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION
The following is a summary of the requirements and process for obtaining employment and residence authorization in Saudi Arabia.

Basic Requirements – The following requirements apply to the sponsoring entity and the foreign national employee.

- The sponsoring company must be registered in Saudi Arabia as a company in good corporate standing and have a valid Commercial License to do business.
- The sponsoring entity must have a block visa quota available, corresponding to the specific nationality, gender, and title of the applicant.
- The foreign national must enter into an employment contract with the local sponsoring entity.
- The foreign national must provide evidence that he or she does not pose a health risk to others and is free of any contagious diseases. The scope of the medical examination varies by country.
- The foreign national must have appropriate educational qualifications authenticated by a Saudi consular post to fulfill the position. The qualification should be sufficiently precise in relation to the profession on the block visa quota. (For example, Electronic Engineer requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Electronic Engineering.) Where appropriate, the foreign national may also be required to demonstrate professional experience that is directly relevant to the proposed position.
- The age of the foreign national should be between 22 and 60 years for male applicants. For female applicants, a higher (but not formally denied) minimum age is preferred, whilst the retirement age is 55.

Please note that gender restrictions apply, and it may be difficult for female foreign nationals to obtain employment authorization.

Process Overview – The sponsoring company, through its Government Relations Officer (GRO), must first file a “Block Visa” request with the Ministry of Labor, requesting pre-approval to sponsor foreign employees. In order to obtain a Block Visa, the sponsoring company will be required to be in compliance with the ‘Nitaqat’ system. Under this system, each company is assigned targets for employing a certain percentage of Saudi nationals, in accordance with the industry sector and the number of employees. Incentives such as issuance of new visas, transferring sponsorship or renewal of work permit are provided for, depending on the ‘saudisation’ ratio achieved.

Once the Block Visa request is approved, the sponsoring company in Saudi Arabia should obtain a visa authorization number and an electronic power of attorney authorized by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Saudi Arabia. Foreign nationals may then apply for work visas through Saudi consular posts abroad. Legislation and procurement of several documents may be required before issuance of work visas. Prior to entry, the foreign national must undergo a medical examination at an accredited medical center, and obtain a written confirmation from the examining physician that he or she is in good health and does not pose a risk to others.

Work Authorization Process: Required Documents and Processing Times – Documentation requirements and processing times for both visa and work permit applications can change frequently and without notice. In addition, documentation requirements for visa applications tend to vary significantly across Saudi consular posts. Please contact your immigration professional for the most up-to-date information.

Work Permit and Visa Validity Period – The work visa generally allows its holder to enter Saudi Arabia for an initial period of 90 days and cannot be extended. The Work Permit and Iqama are generally valid for an initial period of one to two years, and may be renewed indefinitely, subject to company categorization based on the ‘Nitaqat’ system.

“Regularization” from Visitor to Worker Status – Foreign nationals may not convert from visitor to Work Permit holder status while in Saudi Arabia.
ardith

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Employment/work visa authorization process Reply with quote

[quote="nomad soul"]From Fragomen, October 2013
Source: http://www.fragomen.com/newsresources/xprNewsDetailFrag.aspx?xpST=CountrySummaries&news=43

EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZATION
The following is a summary of the requirements and process for obtaining employment and residence authorization in Saudi Arabia.

[clip]

- The age of the foreign national should be between 22 and 60 years for male applicants. For female applicants, a higher (but not formally denied) minimum age is preferred, whilst the retirement age is 55.

[clip]

nomad soul - this is a great post. I wish I'd seen it sometime during the 13 months it took me to secure an employment visa to work in KSA. There were many obscure parts to that process. A follow-up question: are you sure about the female retirement age requirement being 55 years? I am 56 and just starting my employment at KAU/ELI. My age was never mentioned as a source of the delays in getting my visa, but now I wonder. Do you think it will be an obstacle if I decide I want to renew my contract and continue teaching here, another year or two or three?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of us can actually answer that for sure. Historically teachers have been allowed to stay for as long as they can handle the job... once they are in country. Also rules seem to be... flexible... depending on the "wasta" of the employer. Employers regularly use this law to "not renew" teachers they want to get rid of... while ignoring the law for other teachers on staff.

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ardith wrote:
- this is a great post. I wish I'd seen it sometime during the 13 months it took me to secure an employment visa to work in KSA. There were many obscure parts to that process. A follow-up question: are you sure about the female retirement age requirement being 55 years? I am 56 and just starting my employment at KAU/ELI. My age was never mentioned as a source of the delays in getting my visa, but now I wonder. Do you think it will be an obstacle if I decide I want to renew my contract and continue teaching here, another year or two or three?

Frankly, 13 months is the exception with 3-6 months being the average, give or a take a month. (My processing time took a little more than two months from the time I was presented an offer until the day I arrived in country.)

Ironically, about 18 months ago, the region's news reported the Saudi government was considering changing the retirement age for expats (do an Internet search on saudi retirement age expat). Whether that was the cause of your delay, who's to say. That question as well as your concerns about contract renewal should be posed to your HR reps at KAU.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumping this thread for those who are unfamiliar with the employment visa process and what the employer/sponsor does at their end to get the ball rolling.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: