Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Omani VS. Emirati students

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
optimistic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:08 am    Post subject: Omani VS. Emirati students Reply with quote

I was wondering what could be the differences between Emirati students and Omani students. Who are better in terms of motivation, achievement, interest, discipline and so on? Is there anyone on this forum, familiar with both countries, who could comment on that? thanks!
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS would be a good source for this, altho I have a sneaky suspicion that she prefers Kuwaiti administration overall! Laughing
optimistic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. I would like to hear from vs. Wink
rollerblader

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Emirati vs Omani students Reply with quote

Let's be clear on this; all college students in both countries would cheat without question, however the Emiratis have enough safeguards built into the university systems to keep cheating down to an acceptable minimum. The Omanis on the other hand have a much more corrupted educational system which is in itself a poor example of integrity. The Omanis cheat far more than their wealthier cousins in the Emirates. The Omanis expect their teachers to "help" them with their term papers, projects and even the final grade outcome, and are visibly upset when they find out otherwise. I had a female student once in Sohar ask me what her final grade was going to be even before the first quiz was given out to the class!
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Omani vs. Emirati students Reply with quote

I think VS will concur that basically, both countries require highly paid servants who babysit (for the females). I concede there are a few who are sterling, motivated students who aspire to actually pursue graduate school (without wasta) and become professionals. Those are the memorable students, but sadly, and not surprisingly, so far and few between, at least in the context where I taught.

A common cheating scenario in UAE: "Miss, My grade not good. No like. Please change. Please make 60%." My reply: I am happy to meet with you to give you another opportunity to rewrite your paper." (although it was a total google translation and adamantly denied.)
Her reply: "Oh, miss, puleeze, need passing mark."
My reply: "I'm happy to meet with you to improve your writing but I cannot simply assign you a higher mark. I want you to succeed too and am happy to help you."
Her reply: "Oh miss, I sad. (and then proceeded to complain to the Emirati Director where I was summoned to explain the "inequity" of the situation.) End result: The student failed the course but returned the next semester along with all the other failures (even though 60% was the acceptable passing mark.) Central office "manipulates" grades to make it "all fit" with the high achievements of the institution. It is what it is a mantra you need to repeat as you trudge along in the Gulf.

I eagerly await another one of Fifth Column's witty replies.
Regards,
PS
The Fifth Column

Location: His habitude with lexical items protrudes not unlike a damaged pollex!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I eagerly await another one of Fifth Column's witty replies.

My spidey-sense detects insincerity... Crying or Very sad
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Omani VS. Emirati students Reply with quote

optimistic wrote:
I was wondering what could be the differences between Emirati students and Omani students. Who are better in terms of motivation, achievement, interest, discipline and so on? Is there anyone on this forum, familiar with both countries, who could comment on that? thanks!

Yes, I have taught in both countries, but it was another world back then... (from '88 through '95) and I actually worked with three employers who insisted on things like attendance, completing the work to pass the course, no cheating... ahhh... the good old days. I still have friends working at those three employers... and let's just say that things have changed at 2 of the 3 to varying extents.

To get that now, I can really only be sure about AUS in the Emirates and SQU in Oman. Both of them are getting the cream of the crop in each country so you do have motivated students and can enforce the rules and the administration will usually back you. Both are very competitive to get positions.

Elsewhere? Things do go downhill rather quickly these days. You are better off reading around the board... realizing that basically only the unhappy people come here to post... apply to a few of the places that might make you an offer... and if you get one, ask about the situation there at the moment as far as the students. Then you have to decide if the pay and benefits trump the level of possible difficulties.

VS
(and no... I didn't much like Kuwait, but it was medical students, so they were great!!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: