Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oh, my God - it's a conspiracy.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnslat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Oh, my God - it's a conspiracy. Reply with quote

Here's one for all you conspiracy theorists:

A conspiracy theorist has a heart attack and is rushed to the
hospital. While the doctors are working on him, he sees God and
without a thought asks God "Who shot JFK?"
God looks down at him and says "It was Lee Harvey Oswald, from the
book depository, with a Carcano rifle, alone."
At this point the medical staff manages to jolt him back to life and
he's pulled back to this world.
When his friends come to visit him in the hospital he pulls them close
and says:
"The conspiracy goes higher than we thought." Very Happy

Regards,
John
buravirgil

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s also interesting to notice who it is we assassinate. You ever notice who it is, got to think who it is we kill? It’s always people who’ve told us to live together in harmony and try to love one another. Jesus, Gandhi, Lincoln, John Kennedy, Bobby Kennedy, Martin Luther King, Medgar Evers, Malcolm X, John Lennon, they all said, “Try to live together peacefully.” Bam! Right in the fucking head! Apparently we’re not ready for that.
--George Carlin
Capt Lugwash

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Archduke Ferdinand? Did he fit the mould?
likwid_777

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, Mr Ferdinand did not fit that mould. I'm trying to strain my brain, to think of other historical figures who were assassinated and weren't lovely old chaps. I just woke up, so not much is happening. It seems that most of the figures who do meet with assassination were fighting for a good cause. But then again, it's probably more that they get a fuss kicked up and remembered. No one cries a river when a despot is taken out, and no matter how much of an undying arsehole someone is, people aren't really in the practice of celebrating assassins.

Ferdinand isn't remembered because he was a great guy, only because his death "triggered" WWI. Also, let's not forget that heinous pricks will almost always have better security than all round nice guys. Look at that guy who put the briefcase full of explosives under the heavy oak table, due to his suspicions at it being left there. He saved Hitler's life.

Ferdinand's assassination was just a security gaffe, and largely opportunity on the shooter's behalf:

"June 28 was also Franz Ferdinand's wedding anniversary. His beloved wife, Sophie, a former lady-in-waiting, was denied royal status in Austria due to her birth as a poor Czech aristocrat, as were the couple's children. In Bosnia, however, due to its limbo status as an annexed territory, Sophie could appear beside him at official proceedings. On June 28, 1914, then, Franz Ferdinand and Sophie were touring Sarajevo in an open car, with surprisingly little security, when Serbian nationalist Nedjelko Cabrinovic threw a bomb at their car; it rolled off the back of the vehicle and wounded an officer and some bystanders. Later that day, on the way to visit the injured officer, the archduke's procession took a wrong turn at the junction of Appel quay and Franzjosefstrasse, where one of Cabrinovic's cohorts, 19-year-old Gavrilo Princip, happened to be loitering.

Seeing his opportunity, Princip fired into the car, shooting Franz Ferdinand and Sophie at point-blank range. Princip then turned the gun on himself, but was prevented from shooting it by a bystander who threw himself upon the young assassin. A mob of angry onlookers attacked Princip, who fought back and was subsequently wrestled away by the police. Meanwhile, Franz Ferdinand and Sophie lay fatally wounded in their limousine as it rushed to seek help; they both died within the hour."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
JoeKing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh, my God - it's a conspiracy. Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Here's one for all you conspiracy theorists:

Regards,
John

That is not a bad joke, and I can certainly suspend my beliefs(disbeliefs?) long enough to laugh at things like that.

But on the other hand, you brought up the term conspiracy theorists in a way that has been bugging me for a while now - and I don't mean to single you out John because you may or may not really even feel this way. Others can comment on this if they want.

It just annoys me when people quickly dismiss a reasonable question and say something to the effect of "Oh, you're one of those conspiracy theorists", as if you're crazy and/or paranoid. Don't get me wrong - I agree that there are a lot of whacked out theories floating around - but they should be considered or debunked on a case by case basis. Not all theories are created equal.

From Wikipedia:

"The term "conspiracy theory" has acquired a derogatory meaning over time and is often used to dismiss or ridicule beliefs in conspiracies."

"The term is often used to dismiss claims that the critic deems ridiculous, misconceived, paranoid, unfounded, outlandish, or irrational."

"The word 'conspiracy' works much the same way the word 'cult' does to discredit advocates of a certain view or persuasion. Historians do not use the word 'conspiracy' to describe accurate historical reports. On the contrary, they use it to indicate a lack of veracity and objectivity."

As for the joke, it's funny that it uses as its example a case that is almost without a doubt a conspiracy - with virtually 99.9999999% certainty - lone gunman or not. (Who put you up to that John? Did somebody get to you?)

Actually, it is probably the JFK case that gave rise to that term, and here is my whacked-out theory. It was done to muddy the waters. People always ask if we will ever find out the "real truth". I think the real truth is already out there, and anyone who has ever read much on the topic has probably seen it. The problem is that there was also so much disinformation purposely put out, that the waters have been too muddied to realize it. And that was the intent.
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are apparently not JoeKing. Very Happy

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history/2013/11/john_f_kennedy_conspiracy_theories_debunked_why_the_magic_b

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/11/22/hugh-aynesworth-has-spent-his-career-debunking-jfk-conspiracy-theories.html

Have there been conspiracies? Surely. But basing my choice on what I've seen of human nature and its foibles, I'll go with the screw-up theory of history much more often than the conspiracy theory.

Regards,
John
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno 'bout you guys, but I really am conspiring to take over the world and usher in utopia. I have a theory too, to help effect this most noble of aims. And History is on my side...
JoeKing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
You are apparently not JoeKing. Very Happy

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history/2013/11/john_f_kennedy_conspiracy_theories_debunked_why_the_magic_b

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/11/22/hugh-aynesworth-has-spent-his-career-debunking-jfk-conspiracy-theories.html

Have there been conspiracies? Surely. But basing my choice on what I've seen of human nature and its foibles, I'll go with the screw-up theory of history much more often than the conspiracy theory.

Regards,
John
The first link would not open, and I quickly found an article discrediting the author mentioned in the second. He's the last guy I'd go with, especially with all the evidence out there.

http://www.ctka.net/aynesworth.html
"Like Priscilla Johnson, Aynesworth soon decided to make his career out of this event. As we shall see, it is quite clear that he made up his mind immediately about Oswald's guilt. Long before the Warren Report was issued. In fact, he tried to influence their verdict."

"Further insight into Aynesworth's peculiar psychology came in an interview in 1979 on KERA, the Dallas PBS affiliate. He said there, "I'm not saying there wasn't a conspiracy. I know most people in this country believe there was a conspiracy. I just refuse to accept it and that's my life's work." In other words, what the facts are do not really matter to him. It's keeping the lid on a conspiracy to commit homicide that matters."

John, you should read this one by Sylvia Meagher, the first person to index the Warren Commission Report. No conjecture - just the facts.

"Accessories After the Fact: The Warren Commission, the Authorities & the Report on the JFK Assassination"..originally published in 1967

http://www.amazon.com/Accessories-After-Fact-Authorities-Assassination/dp/1620879972

Originally published in 1967, Meagher’s masterful dissection of the Warren Report, based on the Warren Commission’s own evidence, has stood the test of time.

In Accessories After the Fact, Sylvia Meagher delivers a blistering blow to the credibility of the Warren Report, and decades after its original publication researchers and readers are still discovering what made her work so important.
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know why I bother, but here's the first link again:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history/2013/11/john_f_kennedy_conspiracy_theories_debunked_why_the_magic_bullet_and_grassy.html

You believe what you want, and I'll believe what I want. No problem,

Rgards,
John
JoeKing

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Don't know why I bother, but here's the first link again:

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/history/2013/11/john_f_kennedy_conspiracy_theories_debunked_why_the_magic_bullet_and_grassy.html

John
Ok , thanks, it opened this time, But John, did you actually read it? And if you did, do you mean to tell me you are actually basing your belief it was Oswald, and Oswald alone, on this article and the works of the other discredited guy? In contrast to everything else out there, you think these are the two who got it right?

johnslat wrote:

You believe what you want, and I'll believe what I want. No problem,

John
I was going to say the same thing!
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor, lost souls... If only you could read the secret KGB files on this. You'd be shocked to learn how wrong you all are about nearly everything...
JoeKing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Poor, lost souls... If only you could read the secret KGB files on this. You'd be shocked to learn how wrong you all are about nearly everything...
Care to expand on this at least a little?
johnslat

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear JoeKing,

Well, sure he could - but then, he'd have to kill you. Very Happy

Regards,
John
JoeKing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sashadroogie wrote:
Что ты говоришь ???
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Да, да! В стенах Кремля хранится секретный файл, где черным по белому написано, что Кеннеди был секретным агентом коммунистической партии. Но он не следовал плану по Карибскому кризису и компартии не оставалось другого выхода, как ликвидировать его. Его должны были убрать ввиду секретности соглашения с инопланетянами, базирующимися на Луне!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Current Events Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: