Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

safe? easy to get a job?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jlanman4

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: safe? easy to get a job? Reply with quote

Looking to teach English in South America, leaning towards Colombia and Chile. Just curious as to peoples opinions on safety and ease of obtaining a job. I speak very little spanish, I have a degree, and will have my TEFL license very soon. Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TEFL license?
Who's printing one of those? Where is it valid? Does it have an expiry date?

Are you referring to a certification? And if so, from what provider?
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, most jobs in Latin America are found by going to the country of your choice, knocking on doors of schools and institutes, and distributing copies of your resume far and wide. This, of course, requires basic conversational proficiency in Spanish.

Do your research before you go. Use the internet to locate websites of the better known schools that you might target once you arrive. You might begin by googling the names of the various Binational Centers located in Colombia and Chile: http://dosfan.lib.uic.edu/usia/E-USIA/education/engteaching/eal-elp1.htm But don't limit yourself to just those schools.

Learn about work permit/residency requirements. Join discussion groups, message forums, or Facebook groups organized by expats living in the country of your choice and begin networking before you go. Expats who've been living for years in the country of your choice will be able to answer thorny questions like how to work legally, where to network, what schools have good reputations, etc.

And most importantly, have a backup plan if things don't work out. Decide how much money you're willing to spend on food and lodging while looking for a job and. if that runs out before a job materializes, then be prepared to either fly home or onward to an alternative destination.
Jlanman4

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
TEFL license?
Who's printing one of those? Where is it valid? Does it have an expiry date?

Are you referring to a certification? And if so, from what provider?

Yes, a certification. i was looking to do one online. Are online certifications widely accepted in LA?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd ask about visas as in Latin America they are often not given. Employers don't seem to mind that much about TEFL certs. Though they may not pay that well nor offer housing or flights.

As esl prof said it's more about showing up and being willing to work under their conditions.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

naturegirl321 wrote:
Employers don't seem to mind that much about TEFL certs.

Exactly, the more critical issue, for your own peace of mind, is whether or not you are comfortable and competent in the classroom (and, frankly, many employers may not mind much when it comes to this either).

Online certifications vary widely in quality, and often the material you get could be obtained much more cheaply and just as effectively by simply investing in $100 in good books from Amazon.com.

When I first went to Latin America (via the Dominican Republic) back in the early 1990s, I had no formal TEFL certification. In fact, I had no idea that such programs existed, period. What I did have was 2 1/2 years of tutoring experience through the adult education program in the same town where I attended college as well as a summer working as a conversational English instructor for Japanese students preparing to enter university (again, at the same college where I graduated). While I would have been a much better first year teacher in the D.R. had I committed to the time and expense to add a face-to-face TEFL certificate to my credentials, the reality was I did just fine on the basis of my practical experience.

Whether or not you opt for the online TEFL certification, you may want to obtain the following resources and bring them with you to Latin America:

1. Teaching Adults: An ESL Resource Book

http://www.newreaderspress.com/Items.aspx?hierId=4061

2. Basic English Grammar by Betty Azar.

http://www.amazon.com/English-Grammar-Edition-Student-Answer/dp/0131849379/ref=pd_sim_b_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1AXFW8GF2MBZCQRGYFMQ

3. The ESL training videos by New Readers Press which are now available online free of charge:

http://www.newreaderspress.com/Downloads/TrainingByDesign_key.pdf

In addition, and most importantly, try to get some sort of practical tutoring/teaching experience with ESL students at home before you come. Reading and self-study are good and important, but the best way to learn how to teach is by actually teaching not reading about or watching videos on teaching.

Good luck! And please keep us posted as your journey unfolds. Your story will be helpful to others who follow in your footsteps later.
roadwalker

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the advice to do an in-person TEFL certificate course if possible; one with a practice teaching component evaluated by experienced trainers. That way you get any jitters out during the course and also see where you need to improve, etc.

As for safety, I was in Santiago for a half year and never really felt unsafe. However I knew at least a couple people who were robbed of some money. Other than pickpockets, I suppose it comes down to luck and lifestyle. Coming out of a bar alone at night and flashing cash or valuables, I wouldn't say it is very safe. Being aware of your surroundings and going out in groups at night, you'll probably be fine. I don't know the situation in Columbia.
Jlanman4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think its worth the money the apply to a program in Chile for a first time teacher?
esl_prof

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jlanman4 wrote:
Do you think its worth the money the apply to a program in Chile for a first time teacher?

No, I would not pay a recruiting agency to help you find a job. If you're looking for a structured opportunity for teaching, you might investigate opportunities with the U.S. Peace Corps or the Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Program, both of which would be good opportunities for first time teachers in Latin America or other parts of the developing world. In addition to providing training, both programs will cover your travel, health insurance, and cost-of-living expenses which would most certainly exceed whatever you'd be able to earn as a newbie teacher looking for a job on your own.

http://us.fulbrightonline.org/about/types-of-grants/english-teaching-assistant-grants

http://www.peacecorps.gov/openings/?from=pcv_lp

You might also do a Google search and see what types of volunteer opportunities or cultural exchange programs are available with NGOs working in Latin America. Likewise, if you have any sort of religious affiliation, you might investigate volunteer needs in that arena as well. There are a lot of faith-based groups that do community development and educational work in Latin America that are in need of volunteer English teachers.

My first teaching job in Latin America was a volunteer position in the Dominican Republic, which was a good way to ease into the culture, learn the language, and see how things worked before I ultimately pursued employment on my own. Unless you know the language well and have a lot of experience in Latin America, this might be a good starting point for you.
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: learn some Spanish first.. Reply with quote

Even with fluent Spanish, controlling students (and even adults!) in Latin America is very difficult. If you don't know much it will be almost impossible..unless your school gives you a local "baby sitter" to help..and yes many K-12 schools do that.

Students are often near total beginners; a large school in Cusco, Peru--where English is very needed and people hear it often-- told me 93% of their students were beginners. The students both need and expect Spanish in class. The American bosses I worked under all called the students "spoiled"--and said had the job to cut out the need for Spanish-- but I feel that that is the height of hypocrisy! Not only do WE expect English in foreign language classes demand that anyone in our country speak English, we assume we can get around in their country (and any country) without knowing the local language.

If you don't know Spanish you'll find it much harder to connect with your classes, make friends, get things done--and make no mistake, getting a legal visa will be a HUGE hassle!!-- and travel locally. This is triply true if are in a small town or rural area or if you are working with less affluent people through either a volunteer program or a school that has less affluent clients.

This is not a popular statement, but it is true! If you don't know Spanish, your students will ask teachers who do for help. I never minded, but other teachers did; sometimes I wouldn't understand a teacher's worksheet. If teachers do mind you'll have some strained relations with your peers.

If you go with almost none and assume you'll be bilingual in a month you might be unpleasantly surprised; we almost always work with English speakers, and if you can't function in Spanish at all it's very hard to get enough practice to learn.

Also consider that a good salary in Latin America is 600/month.. with no experience expect to make 400 tops. So..do you want to pay for Spanish lessons from a salary that small? Some schools do offer free classes, but many don't--and if classes conflict with you teaching schedule, then usually it sucks to be you.

Other facts.. visas are a huge problem in most countries. I was unwilling to stay because I could not understand the visa process and I didn't trust that things would really work out. Are you willing to leave your passport in a government office? Is that still a yes if there is no concrete return date for you to pick up your passport with the visa--or a date it should be mailed back by? Are you willing to pay for the visa even if it ends up costing you much more than the school quoted you? Are you okay with working illegally? Are you okay with constantly changing visa rules..and thus being told "now you do x, need y and have to sign z"? If you said no, don't go.

You can't save money and you are highly unlikely to have basic resources; you also can't assume pay is on time, you won't work 6-8 am/non-3/7-9 daily and 8-1 on Saturdays, or that you'll have any control at all of either what content or how you can teach. Is that okay? If not, don't go.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: learn some Spanish first.. Reply with quote

lagringalindissima wrote:
If you don't know Spanish you'll find it much harder to connect with your classes, make friends, get things done--and make no mistake, getting a legal visa will be a HUGE hassle!!-- and travel locally.

Indeed, outside of the classroom, a working knowledge of Spanish is essential for going about the basic business of life.

I would disagree, however, with your assertions about using Spanish in the classroom. Once upon a time, I did just that, but that was just a crutch that reflected my inexperience and lack of training as a teacher. There are much better ways to introduce language to beginners. See, for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6De52Pzr8c

Or

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h17eAo9-960

Imitating the methodology of U.S.-style foreign language instructors (who are typically trained in literature NOT second-language acquisition theory--though, thankfully, this is beginning to change) is simply embracing old-school language teaching methods that generally lead to poor results. Had my high school and college Spanish instructors been trained in up-to-date teaching methodologies rooted in second-language acquisition theory such as those above, perhaps I (and many of my classmates) would actually have been able to do simple things like, say, sustain a basic conversation in Spanish, after having completed six-years of Spanish classes.

If we're going to teach, let's embrace the best teaching methods out there and avoid slipping back into old worn ruts that lead to nowhere.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: learn some Spanish first.. Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:

Indeed, outside of the classroom, a working knowledge of Spanish is essential for going about the basic business of life.

I would argue that, in the bigger cities at least, it's not even essential for everyday life. Of course, speaking the language will make your life much easier, and afford you a far richer experience. However, plenty of people seem to get by with little or no Spanish, some of whom have lived here for many years. (To be clear: I'm not advocating that approach, just saying that it is possible.

esl_prof wrote:

I would disagree, however, with your assertions about using Spanish in the classroom. Once upon a time, I did just that, but that was just a crutch that reflected my inexperience and lack of training as a teacher. There are much better ways to introduce language to beginners.

I completely agree. It's been a while since I had a true beginners class (presumably it varies depending where you are, but true absolute beginners are relatively rare in my part of Ecuador). At the time I didn't speak any Spanish, so I had to rely on good practice instead. I'm glad I had that experience, so I wasn't tempted to slip into the lazy option of relying on Spanish instead.

I have often wondered how teachers who never move beyond that approach cope in a mixed L1 classroom.

Anyway, aside from anything else, whether you agree with a sole L2 approach or not, regularly using L1 in the classroom will get you fired in many places.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: learn some Spanish first.. Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
However, plenty of people seem to get by with little or no Spanish, some of whom have lived here for many years.

I agree, there are places where this can be done. And, frankly, I'm surprised by the number of folks I've bumped into who have spent decades in Latin America but can barely sustain even the simplest of conversations in Spanish. Yes, people can and do manage to get by with little or no Spanish. But I often wonder how well they're really managing.

HLJHLJ wrote:
I have often wondered how teachers who never move beyond that approach cope in a mixed L1 classroom.

After years of teaching in Latin America, moving to mixed L1 classrooms helped improve my teaching ability tenfold. I can no longer simply get up in front of the class and say the ________ verb tense in English is exactly the same as the ________ verb tense in Spanish. Instead, I actually have to be able to explain when, why, and how said verb tense should be used in English, knowing that 3/4 of the students in my class may well have no similar grammatical function in their own language to compare it with.[/quote]
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Spanish in the classroom is helpful.. Reply with quote

How many Americans had a monolingual teacher and/or a teacher who refused to use English in our high school classes? NONE. Okay, none might not be literally none, but if you can't speak English you can't be hired in the USA. Telling students that used to=imperfect and thus I used to live in Quito is vivia en Quito is in fact a very effective way to teach..it's not "what naive teachers do until they learn better". I know the drill..I was always told never to use Spanish. But I did..and with other students, not just mine. The students were more comfortable, they liked me since I could have a sense of humor in Spanish and explain things if they were upset, and they often said "we learned/are learning a lot". A class can become just a lecture class about English (of course) but good teachers know when to use Spanish and when to make then use English. What always amazed me was seeing people who'd lived in Latin America for several years and learned no Spanish insist that if we as teachers just stopped "spoiling the students like their school classroom teachers do" they'll learn English in English..but they "aren't learning anything" if they are translating or asking questions in Spanish.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Spanish in the classroom is helpful.. Reply with quote

I don't necessarily believe that very occasional L1 use is the hanging offence it is often portrayed to be, particularly with low level learners. However, it is a huge pedagogical leap from there to:

The students both need and expect Spanish in class.

Which is simply not the case. When L1 is used it is almost invariably for the convenience of the teacher, and not for the benefit of the learner.

It seems that your ideas on this are at least partially based on your experiences of language learning in the USA. It's an unfortunate comparison, due to the outdated teaching methods they use (or perhaps did use), which probably account, at least in part, for the poor outcomes they achieve.

My experience was somewhat different. I studied French at school for approximately 10 years in classrooms where L1 was used heavily. I would struggle to even order a coffee in French today. Since then I have studied 2 languages and dabbled in a 3rd. In all those cases the classrooms were L2 monolingual and were far more successful learning environments. Even starting with just a tiny smattering of the 3rd language, I still recall more of that than I do French.

I would be extremely unhappy if I were paying for a language instructor who had to rely on English in class because they couldn't do the job without it.

Telling students that used to=imperfect and thus I used to live in Quito is vivia en Quito is in fact a very effective way to teach..

I will leave the issue of effectiveness to one side, since the idea had been discussed extensively in the appropriate academic journals. However, to use your example; what would you do if your students didn't have that tense in their L1? What if they didn't have tenses at all?

If someone can do the job properly, they should be able to provide those students with a simple and succinct explanation of its meaning. If they can explain it to those students, they can just as easily explain it to a student who does have a comparable structure in their L1. If they can't... well, that brings us back to either laziness or incompetence.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: