Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Panama?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piglet44

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Panama? Reply with quote

So the sticky is from 2003. Can anyone give some more updated info? Thanks
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Panama? Reply with quote

piglet44 wrote:
So the sticky is from 2003. Can anyone give some more updated info? Thanks

Hopefully, you'll hear back from someone on this forum with recent English teaching experience in Panama soon. In the meantime, you might try doing a search on Google and/or Facebook for expat discussion groups, listserves, message boards, etc. for Panama. Such groups may not be able to tell you as much about English teaching jobs as you would like, but most expat groups can at least give you a good introduction to other aspects of living in the country as a foreigner.

My guess is that as far as teaching goes, Panama is like much of the rest of Latin America: show up, knock on doors, distribute resumes in person and, hopefully, get hired.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Panama . . . I just found a link to a couple of articles on the TEFL Tips blog that, while a few years old, look like a good starting point for further research.

http://www.tefl-tips.com/2009/02/faq-for-latin-america.html#panama

Nature Girl, the author of the blog, is a member of these forums, so maybe she'll be able to weight in with additional information.
piglet44

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That link is also dated 2009.I was looking for something more up to date.I have trawled google and found precious little.I have tried approaching people on blogs and in expat forums and found again extremely little up to date stuff.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

piglet44 wrote:
That link is also dated 2009.I was looking for something more up to date.I have trawled google and found precious little.I have tried approaching people on blogs and in expat forums and found again extremely little up to date stuff.

It was actually updated in 2012, and the article below by the instructor from Future Business Learning was authored in 2012 as well. My guess is that the basic picture regarding English teaching hasn't changed a whole lot since then. Sorry to hear that you haven't had much luck with expat blogs and forums. Those are often helpful sources of current information. The fact that, in this particular instance, no current information is forthcoming may, unfortunately, suggest that Panama is not a viable location (or, at least, an uncommon destination, well off the beaten path) either for English teaching or simply residing long-term as an expat.

Please keep us posted if and when you find new information. It will certainly be of help to others on this forum who may find themselves following in your footsteps.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like many people are moving over to FB rather than forums. There are 3500 people in this group https://m.facebook.com/groups/2397416901 hopefully some of them can help you out.
piglet44

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Naturegirl
LaLaDivina

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also looking for info on Panama. I went on vacation there a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. The heat in insufferable but I'm drawn to the fact that they use the American dollar. I read the link that esl_prof posted and I can say that the Metro is now in full effect and the fare is a whopping .35 cents. Although I was told that they are opening up a 3rd subway line in a year or two and the fare will be going up. Anywho, I'll be checking this thread for any additional information Cool
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Panama Reply with quote

Hello,
I was exploring Panama as a place to semi-retire and teach part-time. I visited there last summer in Panama City to head onward to Azuero Peninsula (Las Tablas, festival city). The tropical, steamy climate was unbearable, esp. since many of the shops and restaurants also had no a-c. However, I was able to stay at Don Jesus' B&B for 8 days + breakfast for just $132. Nice little town but too small for me and no a-c anywhere, except a new pizza shop in the new arcade of shops (but even though the OPEN sign may be on the door, that doesn't mean they are always open). The manana concept of time is in operation. They do have good pizza, though.

As for teaching prospects, I know one has to be on the ground. There are no HR employment links online to apply. Also, Panama is becoming quite pricey due to the constant influx of "wealthier" retirees.

If you would like to know the forum I subscribe to on Panama, send me a PM. I do read it occasionally, but decided against moving there. However, I did not explore pricey Boquete or Volcan where all the ex-pats in modern condos reside. Each region varies in so many ways, as you can appreciate, impossible to address here. The people are very sophisticated, well-dressed, polished, and lovely with some polite restraint in Azuero. Probably a good idea to also pick up a copy of Lonely Planet's PANAMA and connect with folks on those forums.

Regards,
PS
jonniboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also been mulling over the idea. I was there last September and it struck me as a decent possibility for a while. I recommended it to an ex-colleague of mine, who went there after working in Colombia and he's given me some feedback. I also connected with another teacher who's currently there who has given me some tips as well. Below is all hearsay based on what they've said, so it shouldn't be taken as gospel and those there on the ground or who have worked there shouldn't be shy in correcting any of this.

Basically, jobs there aren't found from abroad. The very best you'll get will be some Skype interviews, but even that's not certain, as there are numerous expats already on the ground. Expect to turn up, CV in hand looking professional and get a local mobile number and address as soon as possible to be taken seriously.

There is apparently work there most of the year, but the main hiring period seems to be from the end of the year through February, with a smaller hiring period around early June for second semesters. October-November is one of the worst times to arrive and the latter month is supposed to be pretty dead. Work visas are very difficult to get and costly.

The going rate in language centres seems to be $15 net per 60 minutes. For privates, it's $20-25 depending on experience and privates are said to be plentiful. There are international schools, but you'll need full teaching qualifications and BA in the relevant subjects to be considered.

There is a bit of a "gringo tax" in operation, where North Americans and Europeans will be charged more than locals for the same services. Rent is expensive. In Panama City expect to pay $400-450 for a room in a shared apartment and over $1000 for your own apartment.

Opening up a bank account isn't too bad, but very much depends on the bank and even who you speak to on the day. Some of them will require at least $5000 deposited and the cedula (Residence permit) before considering you, others are more laidback and will do it for $100, but will charge you more without cedula.

The heat isn't for everyone but is a major draw for me. I miss Eastern Spain for those reasons.

Would be happy to hear if my acquaintances stories above are true or not and if anyone can add anything else.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing, Jonniboy! I've not ever been to Panama, but what you've shared--with the exception of wages (which vary widely from country to country)--is largely consistent with my own experience elsewhere in Latin America.

If you do find your way down there, please keep us posted with any updated information you might have.
jonniboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
Thanks for sharing, Jonniboy! I've not ever been to Panama, but what you've shared--with the exception of wages (which vary widely from country to country)--is largely consistent with my own experience elsewhere in Latin America.

If you do find your way down there, please keep us posted with any updated information you might have.

I have indeed found my way down here. Was originally going to do some Central American travelling, but I like Panama City, so I decided to search for work. Arrived Tuesday, started pounding the pavements Wednesday and have 9 (clock) hours of work starting from tomorrow with more somewhere in the pipeline and interviews lined up.

Far too early in my time here to give any meaningful advice, but watch this space.
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonniboy wrote:

Far too early in my time here to give any meaningful advice, but watch this space.

Yes, please keep us informed! I'll be interested in hearing how things go for you. There's not much news coming out of Panama. Good luck to you!
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGoodStory wrote:
jonniboy wrote:

Yes, please keep us informed! I'll be interested in hearing how things go for you. There's not much news coming out of Panama. Good luck to you!

Me too...I have a chance to visit Panama for the first time in March and would love to hear what the scene is like.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Panama? Reply with quote

Hello,
As mentioned above, there are various types of visas and can be expensive. You can visit http://www.expat.com/en/guide/central-america/panama/ and scroll down to to VISAS. For general information and other categories, go to www.expat-blog.com/forum and click on region and then select "Panama.".

TESOL.org recently advertised a teaching stint at elementary/secondary levels but requires current state licensure; it provides accommodation with a host family and meals so it is more of a stipend than a salary. Most jobs are as adjuncts and/or visas are not paid if part-time. Ex-pats hired as "public school" teachers earn the same salary as locals. You can peruse the regs for visas and allowable days at the above forum. As eslprof commented, most jobs in this area do not pay well and one must be on the ground with c.v. in hand.

I've done extensive research on Panama and corresponded with a woman who lives in Azuero Peninsula (some ex-pats on retirement visas there earn a living as bloggers). Like any major city, Panama City is one of the most expensive areas. David in Chiriqui is sweltering hot and trendy areas such as Bouquete consist mostly of retiree ex-pats living in gated condo communities.

I also have done my due diligence on Ecuador where one can obtain different visas but requirements vary, e.g., must have proof of a certain income (for retirement visa minimum monthly SS income of $800 for an individual OR deposit $25k in a bank there) OR visa as a volunteer teacher (also unpaid by institution). One must also be bilingual to really survive and thrive there, as one can appreciate.

However, with the recent influx of ex-pat retirees as Ecuador gains more popularity, rents have increased significantly (Cuenca, Quito, etc.). I also read that the visa application increased to $500 from the original (don't quote me verbatim) $200 plus fees. There is a bewildering amount of paperwork involved (all in Spanish) so posters on the expat blog recommend hiring a local attorney. You can find the Ecuador Guide at the above expat-blog.com website which contains detailed info on visas and links to the application site.

I've heard that Quito is one of the easier places to find lucrative teaching compared to, say, Cuenca. Guayaquil is a large city with high crime and not recommended for single females. Of course, every city has its diversity of neighborhoods as to rental costs, safety, infrastructure, etc. Again, the expat blog I mentioned above contains a wealth of information from ex-pats who have lived there for quite some time and are knowledgeable about the questions posed here. Sorry for the digression to Ecuador but was mentioned on this thread.

Back to Panama as the main thread.

Good luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: