Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Panama?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Panama? Reply with quote

I don't want to derail this thread about Panama, but I wanted to clarify a few things about Ecuador.

peripatetic_soul wrote:
Hello,
I also have done my due diligence on Ecuador where one can obtain different visas but requirements vary, e.g., must have proof of a certain income (for retirement visa minimum monthly SS income of $800 for an individual OR deposit $25k in a bank there) OR visa as a volunteer teacher (also unpaid by institution).

You've missed the professional visa off your list. This is the most common visa for teachers, as you only need a bachelor degree to qualify.

peripatetic_soul wrote:
One must also be bilingual to really survive and thrive there, as one can appreciate.

Not at all. Obviously speaking the language will allow you a much richer experience, but I know people who have lived here for decades and still barely speak a word of Spanish. They get by, so it's certainly possible. Assuming you do make at least some effort to learn Spanish, intermediate fluency is perfectly adequate, it's not necessary to be fully bilingual.

peripatetic_soul wrote:
However, with the recent influx of ex-pat retirees as Ecuador gains more popularity, rents have increased significantly (Cuenca, Quito, etc.).

A common misconception, but there is absolutely no evidence for it. If anything is putting pressure on prices, it's returning Ecuadorians, who vastly outnumber ex-pats, but there is no real proof of that either. In Quito in particular, the ex-pat community is negligible compared to the overall population and nowhere near big enough to be pushing rents up.

peripatetic_soul wrote:
I also read that the visa application increased to $500 from the original (don't quote me verbatim) $200 plus fees.

The cost has increased from $350 to $500. That's a one-off charge for an immigrant visa, which effectively gives you permanent residency. Probably one of the easiest and cheapest PR options in the world.

peripatetic_soul wrote:
There is a bewildering amount of paperwork involved (all in Spanish) so posters on the expat blog recommend hiring a local attorney.

The paperwork is precise and detailed, as is visa paperwork everywhere, but it's definitely not bewildering. You can hire a facilitator or even an attorney to do it for you if you don't want the hassle (the going rate is about $500 for a facilitator). But it's absolutely possible to do it yourself. I did our professional visa applications with approximately A1/A2 level Spanish. Despite the hysteria on some ex-pat sites, it's a visa application, not rocket science.

Wink

If anyone would like to discuss this further, feel free to start a new thread.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:09 pm    Post subject: Panama? Reply with quote

Dear HLJHLJ,

Yes, apologies. More accurately, not being bilingual, but acquiring some proficiency in Spanish would be helpful for obvious reasons. I know in certain areas of Panama where I visited no one spoke any English.

Please don't shoot the messenger. What I posted about visa and rental costs was personally communicated to me from ex-pats who have lived there for well over 10 years. I can't deny or confirm as I do not reside there. I know those sources have no hidden agenda such as IL or real estate companies. They are real folks with whom I communicate.

As for visa categories, thank you for adding the working visa -- teachers with Bachelor's.

In any case, thank you for the updates and clarification.

Regards,
PS
jonniboy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few early impressions.

The only way to get work is to pad the pavements and hand in CVs in person. I emailed some places which are not so convenient to get to and didn´t get a single reply and I´m not exactly a newbie. 12 and a half years experience, CELTA, CELTYL, good references, decent Spanish and 3 years worked in Spain. If you do this, insist on speaking to the director/coordinator. Any CVs left with secretaries will disappear into a forgotten pile. It´s hot:32 degrees, so it´s often a case of walking there in shorts and sandals, doing a quick change a couple of blocks away into shirt and trousers and shoes.

Going rate seems to be $15 per 60 mins. $20-25 for privates. The work seems to be a mix, with a lot of in-company classes, especially in the banking sector, which often start at 7am. There is a fair bit of work around. Moneywise, this is basically subsistence level as Panama is expensive. The best options are to look for work at the Universities or private/international schools.

Rental prices start from $350 a month for a room. It´s usually a good idea to insist that bills are included, as a/c costs will push up costs otherwise. There is work all year, but November to the end of the year is quiet and January is a good time to come.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: