Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My English School, Singapore

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
-L-

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: My English School, Singapore Reply with quote

I've been offered a job with My English School in Singapore. Does/ has anyone worked for them or heard anything about them? Does anyone know if they're a decent company? There seems to be no discussion about them online, which is either a really good or really bad sign!

Also, anyone any idea of the cost of living in Singapore, would 3600 SGD a month be sufficient (to rent a room or flat-share)?

Thanks Smile
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:03 am    Post subject: My English School, Singapore Reply with quote

I have no reports of this establishment but S$3,600 P/M? You may want at least S$4,000 - S$4.500 P/M to live even half decently unless you can get share accommodation. This leaves you at teh mercy of someone you may not want to share your personal life with:- dirty dishes left after a meal for you to wash up, dirty laundry, you to buy the food and the other person to eat it for you, the TV may be hogged for their viewing only, plus what ever else you can think of which gets you upset.

Krakatoa.
-L-

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Krakatoa, I've lived in mouldy student houses for the past 3 years, plagued with no heating in the British winter, no TV and 5 + housemates who don't clean the bathroom or do their washing up, so sharing with 1 or 2 other people really doesn't bother me! I was more wondering if was possible to live comfortably in a flat-share with 1 or 2 others on that sort of wage.

Thanks again.
singaporehabib

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're happy to live in share accommodation and live like a local, then $3,600 is doable but I can't hep but think it's on the very low side and you would be counting pennies.

I live a very local life so for me that's public transport all the way, hawker centres when I don't feel like cooking and shopping at Fair Price as opposed to Cold Storage. You can live quite decently but definitely not an expat lifestyle.

Bear in mind if you rent with a local household, they may have some odd sounding rules like no cooking allowed or only 2 minute noodles. I found that annoying when I first moved here. However, the room rental is usually more affordable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: