Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5000-6000 dollars per month
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawadywady

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
paid in bronzed shells, and I use to walk ten miles in the snow, uphill both ways to buy Jiaozi.

Luxury! We got paid in grains of rice and we had to crawl on our hands & knees through the frozen mud for 20 miles just for a paper cup of warm water.
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kungfuman wrote:
Certified teachers in my school are paid over $5000 usd a month

Was it for a high school level position or lower?
water rat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shawadywady wrote:
Quote:
paid in bronzed shells, and I use to walk ten miles in the snow, uphill both ways to buy Jiaozi.

Luxury! We got paid in grains of rice and we had to crawl on our hands & knees through the frozen mud for 20 miles just for a paper cup of warm water.

Oh. We used to dream about getting paid in grains of rice and crawling on our hands and knees through the frozen mud for 20 miles just for a paper cup of warm water! As it was we taught 1500 kids to a classroom, 36 hours a day, and every month on pay day we were beaten about our heads and shoulders with long strips of yak jerky. We were then allowed to suck on the yak jerky for a bit before we were beaten once more and asked what made us think we deserved any more pay than that!? Then we slept for two minutes before starting another month's work.
ThailandRon

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spat at in the face
shawadywady

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Spat at in the face

eh?
Sinaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can make that amount of money here, but more than likely you will have to supplement your income with private lessons.

I make 14k from my job here in Guangdong, and I make roughly another 14k from privates. For example, I teach 8 kids at one of these kids' houses.I just do one two hour lesson on Saturday mornings, and I end up making about 1000rmb a week for the two hours every week.

I have been doing this a long time and have a reputation as a good teacher, so if you want to make good money, you are gonna have to build up your rep, form a good relationship with students/parents, organise yourself-eg where will you teach and WHAT will you teach- and work hard. I choose not to work Sundays, giving me one day off a week, but if I chose to do so, I could be clearing 40k rmb a month. It is possible, you just need to take the initiative to learn how to be a great teacher and the initiative to start these lessons
ESL104

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine working 7 days a week would mean burnout pretty fast though unless you get some serious paid holidays from your main job so you could recharge the batteries.
Sinaman

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESL104 wrote:
I imagine working 7 days a week would mean burnout pretty fast though unless you get some serious paid holidays from your main job so you could recharge the batteries.

I don't work every day, I do take Sundays off, and I also teach under 25 hours a week, so I won't be getting burned out.

Paid holidays? Yeah I get paid holidays, although they are never as long as I'd like.
ESL104

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinaman wrote:
ESL104 wrote:

I don't work every day, I do take Sundays off, and I also teach under 25 hours a week, so I won't be getting burned out.

Paid holidays? Yeah I get paid holidays, although they are never as long as I'd like.

I was just referring to your point about how it's possible to make 40k/month if you worked 7 days a week - I have my doubts that could be sustained longer than a couple of months without losing money to days where you end up sick and can't work because of exaustion and fatigue. Perhaps it's possible if you get like 3 months paid holiday which would allow you to work every day during the semesters then relax when on vacation.

I suppose on paper you could just go work on a tourist/business visa, work from 4pm-8pm Monday-Friday and 8 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday in a training centre for 200 RMB an hour. 36 hours a week, so 150 hours a month gives 30000RMB which tbf isn't bad at all considering how much of that you'll be able to save and it won't be taxed. And that version of 7 days a week might be sustainable since you're only working 4 hours on 5 of those days.

Guess you could push it to 40000RMB a month if you filled in your daytime (i.e. 8am-3:30pm) with some part time work at a kindy or a high school, but you'd burnout pretty quickly working 8 hours a day for 7 days a week with absolutely no holidays. The only way I could see it working long term is if you got some of those sweet 20k RMB a month full time jobs with 2-3 months paid holidays.
jm21

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the person. My brother works back in the US. He typically works 16 hours per day, 6.5 days per week. 2 jobs, one as a cna and one as a dishwasher. Both of those are harder than teaching esl. He gets one week of vacation per year but it can't be on a major holiday. He has been doing that for several years now.

Most workers in Qingdao work 12 hour days, 6 days per week, and would probably work more if they could. They get no paid vacation or only get paid vacation during the national holidays.

I am lazy, as are most foreign teachers, but to say 40 or 50 hours per week is unsustainable is absolute rubbish. I don't want it for myself, as I have done it and hated it, but 80+ hour weeks are not that uncommon in America at least. I started talking with my brother a bit about working here and his first question was whether he could get a second job easily.
ESL104

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jm21 wrote:
It depends on the person. My brother works back in the US. He typically works 16 hours per day, 6.5 days per week. 2 jobs, one as a cna and one as a dishwasher. Both of those are harder than teaching esl. He gets one week of vacation per year but it can't be on a major holiday. He has been doing that for several years now.

Most workers in Qingdao work 12 hour days, 6 days per week, and would probably work more if they could. They get no paid vacation or only get paid vacation during the national holidays.

I am lazy, as are most foreign teachers, but to say 40 or 50 hours per week is unsustainable is absolute rubbish. I don't want it for myself, as I have done it and hated it, but 80+ hour weeks are not that uncommon in America at least. I started talking with my brother a bit about working here and his first question was whether he could get a second job easily.

Oh I wasn't suggesting a 50 hour week (or even higher) was unsustainable. Obviously something like five 10 hour days, or even six 12 hour days is possible, as evidenced by the millions of workers around the world who work under those terms.

The unsustainable part IMO is the 7 days a week. AFAIK there's no place on the planet where people normally work 7 days a week and I'm not convinced it could be done over a long term timescale (i.e. more than a few months).

With that said, if someone felt they had what it takes I'm sure extremely serious money could be saved (and deservedly so!).
thechangling

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jm21 wrote:

That all just sounds totally insane working those hours. I'd be dead by 50 (most likely 40). Some Work/life balance is crucial or you might as well be dead.
Dan123

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jm21 wrote:

I am lazy, as are most foreign teachers, but to say 40 or 50 hours per week is unsustainable is absolute rubbish.

Unless you get lucky and get to just teach the same few lessons over and over, you'd probably have to add another 40-50 hours hours on top of that for planning if you have any interest in planning even a half decent lesson. I'm not the fastest person when it comes to planning, but I like to put a bit of effort into my classes, and it usually takes me at least 1 hour of planning for every hour of class that I've never taught before.

I literally could not teach 50 hours per week unless I reduced my sleeping hours by half.
Non Sequitur

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Class contact hours are way more energy-sapping than a job that only involves managing yourself.
I did 20 contact hours pw once for a month, to cover a vacancy and I was mighty glad when the new teacher arrived.
I don't think there is any kind of work that parallels teaching.
jm21

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much every teacher in America has at least 20 contact hours. I would think more like 24. And oral English is way easier than teaching a subject matter.

Sure there is prep but it becomes less and less as time goes on. Most teachers teach the same subjects over and over again so after a while it's more review than prep. Plus you learn tricks as you go on.

I'm sorry, but teaching is one of the easiest jobs out there. Plus you usually get lots of vacation. I'm liking it a lot. I seriously cannot understand how this job could be considered hard work. Maybe kindy (haven't tried but heard it's tiring).

Dan123,

I meant 40 or 50 total hours, not contact.

At my job, if I was starting fresh without any lesson plans, it would be about 4 hours of prep per week. That's 3 hours of prep for each 2 hour lesson. About 14 contact hours per week. The public relations class I teach is most of that prep time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: