Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short-term teaching in Latin America
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RoisinDubh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:47 pm    Post subject: Short-term teaching in Latin America Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone would be able to give me any advice about going to Latin America for 3-6 months to teach (before possibly making a longer commitment). I'm a British citizen, female, have undergrad, postgrad, CELTA and DELTA and fluent Spanish. I have been teaching for around 6 years. Would it be easy (or even possible?) to get a job for such a short period sometime between next January and June? I'd prefer something paid, but a voluntary position would be OK. I'm particularly interested in Colombia and other countries I'd love to visit are Costa Rica, Mexico and Chile, although I'm open to just about any Spanish-speaking country.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd inquire about an internship at Cabarete Language Institute in the Dominican Republic. It's not great pay, but they seem to be doing good work in their community. Likewise, this would work well with your proposed 3-6 month timeline.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/tesoltefl-courses/teaching-english-in-dominican-republic/610407635666812

I just checked their website, and it appears that they are hiring short-term hourly employees as well.

http://www.cabaretelanguage.com/employment-opportunities/

There's also some good volunteer opportunities at the nearby 3 Mariposas Montessori.

http://3mariposasmontessori.com/how-you-can-help/volunteer/
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: If you have an EU passport.. Reply with quote

With 6 years of experience and fluent Spanish, you should look into SPAIN.. that's where I'd be in a minute if I had an EU passport Smile. Since Americans can't legally work there I have no idea if the job market is good (it's probably not, but that's just a guess) or if you can find short term jobs.. but it can't hurt to look up language schools there. Unlike Latin America, they also generally prefer British English.
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some places you might look.

http://www.amerispan.com/volunteer_intern/Costa_Rica/Santo_Domingo_de_Heredia/674/

http://www.cedei.org/en/

http://www.volunteersouthamerica.net/

A lot of people criticize voluteer placement services that have a fee. Like why should I pay to volunteer!!! but they are sometimes worth looking into because that fee is often in exchange for, room and board, insurance, all or part of your transportation, and piece of mind, which is worth a lot for some people, and a little or nothing for others.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's another volunteer opportunity:

http://dominicandream.org/volunteer
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The volunteer website that Mother F linked to is very good. They have affordable programs.
RoisinDubh

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Am I right in thinking that I won't need a work visa to volunteer? I don't mind working for free for a few months but have very limited funds, so in that case I'd be relying on finding free/very cheap accommodation/food.

I've already lived and worked in Spain several times, so not interested in that at the moment. I'm really keen to visit Latin America, and would especially like to stay in one place and get to know it a little bit.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoisinDubh wrote:
Thanks for the advice. Am I right in thinking that I won't need a work visa to volunteer? I don't mind working for free for a few months but have very limited funds, so in that case I'd be relying on finding free/very cheap accommodation/food.

Requirements will vary from one country to another. Inquire directly with the volunteer organization that you hope to work with.
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: right.. Reply with quote

In Latin America work visas are hard to get even if you have a paid job..but no, you don't need them to volunteer; you get a short term volunteer visa if you stay over 90 days. Any legitimate program will help you get it, even if you pay for it.
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: right.. Reply with quote

lagringalindissima wrote:
In Latin America visas . . . but no, you don't need them to volunteer; you get a short term volunteer visa if you stay over 90 days.

This is not true across every country in Latin America unfortunately. As the prof mentioned, visa laws differ from country to country. As will the visa expertise of organizations recruiting volunteers. Some will be able to provide accurate visa info and/or assistance, but others will be clueless. So protect yourself with your own due diligence once you've decided upon a country.

Xie Lin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

However: with a DELTA, MA, 6 years experience, and fluent Spanish, you should be able to just walk into a one semester job in Colombia come January. Spanglish and Windowlicker used to be good souces of advice and info on the Colombia board. I know Spanglish has since moved on, and I don't know about Windowlicker, but it might be worth a PM to one or both of them to ask what they think, since Colombia is your preferred location. IH would probably be happy to have someone with your qualifications, or you could look for a colegio or uni with a mid-year opening. I don't know how onerous the work visa process is though--that could be the monkey wrench in short-term paid employment.

ETA:
Or maybe not--according to this thread, the visa process is easier than in many countries:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=103555

RoisinDubh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice everyone. I think I'll probably go with the volunteering option first and if I like Colombia, look into going back for longer.

I've contacted a few organisations and am looking for others...is anyone aware of anything where your living costs are covered so you're not actually spending money to be there? I'd love to live with a Colombian family or something like that...
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! Please keep us posted on where you end up and how things go. Your stories will be of help to others who follow in your footsteps.
Lotteloes

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:39 pm    Post subject: Short-term teaching in Latin America Reply with quote

MotherF wrote: A lot of people criticize voluteer placement services that have a fee. Like why should I pay to volunteer!!! but they are sometimes worth looking into because that fee is often in exchange for, room and board, insurance, all or part of your transportation, and piece of mind, which is worth a lot for some people, and a little or nothing for others. (I got an error using the quote-option)

Although the posts are from 2011 I do have a question regarding this. I am looking into volunteering as well and I don't mind paying money to an organisation if they take care of some things so that I can focus on teaching. So if I have to pay around € 300,00/month for insurance, having a local contact and somebody taking care of visa and other small but important things, I am fine with that.
But then they want me to pay € 150 - € 175/week for housing and food. This is about € 600 - € 700/month. I stay with a local family, together with another volunteer who pays the same amount. I cann't help it, but this feels like overpaying (especially when I read that eg in Ecuador a teaching salary is around the $ 300/350 per month).

I know that it will be very difficult to give a general overview but what would be acceptable to pay for housing and food? For now it seems that it will be cheaper to rent an apartment on my own.
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think with your quals and your Spanish ability you would be able to get a decent job in Colombia.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: