Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching In Ecuador? AN An Ecuadorian Friend Suggested This

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRJohn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:45 pm    Post subject: Teaching In Ecuador? AN An Ecuadorian Friend Suggested This Reply with quote

I am asking this question because I have a friend who lives in Ecuador. She invited me more than once to come and stay with her family and look for a job there. I met her (as well as lots of other people from Latin America) in Madrid, a city with a large émigré population from South America.
Although I have no immediate plans to go to South America, the question arises: What would it be like to go to Ecuador and look for a job?

Is it actually viable? Or would I not make enough to survive? What about visa issues? I know the country has a widely-varied landscape and so would be fascinating from a tourist point of view.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Teaching In Ecuador? AN An Ecuadorian Friend Suggested T Reply with quote

JRJohn wrote:
Is it actually viable? Or would I not make enough to survive? What about visa issues?

Yes, it's definitely doable. Though, you'll need to plan to go there in person to look for work as it's not common to hire teachers from abroad. You'll make enough to survive but, of course, you're not going to get rich. This isn't China or KSA. A couple of folks on these forums are in Ecuador and seem to be doing well. You might peruse some of the Ecuador threads that have been posted in the last year for more information.

Good luck and please keep us posted on how things turn out.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it's viable. As Esl-prof says, have a look through the forum, there is a lot of information already.

As to whether you will be scraping by or doing OK, there are a a lot of variables. These include your qualifications, experience and where you are planning to base yourself. If you can give us a bit more information, we can give you a better idea as to what to expect.
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:40 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Ecuador Reply with quote

Hi, JR,

Below is an informative forum on Ecuador. Although many threads relate to ex-pat retirees, several topics will be relevant to you (housing, teaching, work, visas, best places to live, safety, etc.). Here is the link:

http://www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=379032

Regards,
PS
JRJohn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:51 pm    Post subject: Well Reply with quote

Well, here's what I would be planning to do in Ecuador:

I would opt for teaching (private or public) in Quito or Guayaquil, because I think that's where there are more likely to be more jobs.

Here are my qualifications: I am a U.K. citizen. I have an MA in Hispanic studies (I speak Spanish fluently), Trinity Cert TESOL, and lots of EFL experience, for example a year in Poland, and 3 years in China. I have letters of recommendation too. So what kinds of schools are open to me?

Why would I consider Ecuador in the first place? It's partly based on a recommendation. But it's also because I want to be in an interesting, lively place with a nightlife (and a pulse), not somewhere depressing. As I understand it, Ecuador contains a lot of different climatic zones in a relatively small area, and that makes it an interesting destination.

I would prefer to live in an apartment on my own. Once the issue of rent rears its ugly head, I wonder how rent is paid? In China I paid 4 months up front. In some places it would be 6 months.

Then there are visas to consider. I understand that getting a visa for Ecuador might be like opening a can of worms. However, I understand that it is possible to arrange a 6 month visa before I leave the U.K. I am going to check out the link to the Ecuador expat forum later. [/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: