Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Surviving in Berlin- as a Teacher

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vashdown2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2014 1:44 pm    Post subject: Surviving in Berlin- as a Teacher Reply with quote

Dear All,

I have suffered through life in the Middle East for the past 2 years, and it has really taken a toil on my emotional health and social life to say the least!

Have read all of the recent updates regarding working in Germany as an American using the freelance visa. What I am wondering now: Is it actually possible to live in Berlin making 14 euros/ hour and paying at least 400 euros rent ( quote based on Craigslist).

Does not seem like it would be feasible to me.. I am in my late 30's, and would be happy to perhaps meet a German partner and settle down.... but until that time, I would have to be able to pay rent, food, transportation, internet, and health insurance of course.

Any feedback?
JN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it might be possible to live in Berlin earning 14 euros/hr., but that would depend on how many hours you actually get and what kind of experience and qualifications you have.

I'd bring savings, too because you will probably need them for anywhere from a few months to a lot longer.

There are a lot of English teachers in Berlin. I left Berlin and found more work elsewhere and I often meet other teachers who did the same.
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can stay in a Wohngemeinschaft, which is a flat share. Check wg-gesucht.de. I only ever went in one to see a Spanish colleague in Berlin who shared with a German flatmate. It was actually a nice place and very central. His rent was less than €250 if I recall.

Travel is ridiculously cheap in Berlin. If you go to bvg.de, you can get a monthly ticket for the Berlin AB region for €60 a month which covers trains, buses, trams, u-bahn and even a ferry.

Food and internet aren't expensive. German health insurance is expensive, but companies such as ALC sell sufficient cover for around €150 a month which is accepted by the visa authorities.

The thing I found expensive in Germany was clothes, and I am far from being fashion conscious. I bought all mine in the UK.
Loobs

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember all freelance EFL teachers are also required to pay into the Deutsche Rentenversicherung (pension fund).
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1968-1969 I taught in Westberlin. I learned that in some countries you cannot live on the earnings of an English teacher. So I went to Saudi Arabia. So it goes.
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to think that my years living and working in exotic places made me broad-minded and cosmopolitan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: