Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eid Mubarak - or is it in Morocco?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysterytrain wrote:
Here in Indonesia (and in much of the Muslim world, I think) Eid-al-Fitr is like the Muslim equivalent of Xmas (though the general absence of alcohol does make a BIG difference in the "tone".) In Xinjiang, as I observed, both Muslim festivals were relatively restrained (possibly partly for cultural reasons ... very possibly also partly for political / security ones).

Alcohol isn't essential for a good time. As for Xinjiang, the situation there must be quite tense with recent bombings and resultant security. I'd like to know the reason for Casablanca's dullness.

mysterytrain wrote:
I suppose you have made your point of view that Casablanca and Morocco are dusty, dull and / or dangerous, not sure why you need to knock the locals for not partying to your expectations though?

Not knocking as such, just disappointed. A lot of people, although I wasn't in this group, head to the Morocco shown by Bogart and Hideous Kinky. If they arrive to find the biggest day of the year features empty streets and tumbleweed, aren’t they entitled to be disappointed?
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
As for Xinjiang, the situation there must be quite tense with recent bombings and resultant security. I'd like to know the reason for Casablanca's dullness.

I haven't been there (Xinjiang) since early summer of 2011, but I've no doubt "you could cut it with a knife" at this point. Under the aegis of national / regional security, in some parts of the province men with beards or facial hair and women with headcover are not allowed on public transportation. Students and public employees (who are Muslim) are officially prohibited from some religious activities and actively discouraged from fasting during Ramadan ... it was bad enough when I was there, I'm sure it's worse now.

Hod wrote:
mysterytrain wrote:
I suppose you have made your point of view that Casablanca and Morocco are dusty, dull and / or dangerous, not sure why you need to knock the locals for not partying to your expectations though?

Not knocking as such, just disappointed. A lot of people, although I wasn't in this group, head to the Morocco shown by Bogart and Hideous Kinky. If they arrive to find the biggest day of the year features empty streets and tumbleweed, aren’t they entitled to be disappointed?

One always retains the right to feel disappointed (or offended), yes indeed.

So, in conclusion, Casablanca at Eid-al-Fitr is where Leonard Cohen goes to somber up, when he's gotten a bit giddy ... got it.

I've heard of Bogart, Sam, but who's this Kinky? I know of a Kinky Friedman, but he's not "Hideous", just run of the mill ugly.
Hod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should get round to reading this, but it's more for the chick lit audience. There's even a film which I also haven't seen. Sad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideous_Kinky
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morocco is a beautiful country...but Casablanca is simply a dump... Shocked
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hod wrote:
I should get round to reading this, but it's more for the chick lit audience. There's even a film which I also haven't seen. Sad

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideous_Kinky

Ah, xie-xie. I think I caught the last twenty minutes or so of this on television a year or two back. Kind of an eat=pray=love womanly self-discovery type of story, eh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Africa Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: