Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beware of Hanoi Ivy League Prep Group
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hemispheredancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:58 am    Post subject: I agree completely with gypsehanga Reply with quote

Gypsehanga is totally correct with what she is saying about Diep's prep schools. Most teachers are gone within a month... rewriting contracts, changing them before signed OR even more shocking... switching the pages of the contract while teachers are signing them without teachers realizing it (shown one contract and as she makes a copy of it she changes the pages). Stories are made up or twisted to say that students just did not like what the teacher did or taught in order to have a reason to remove hours from a teacher's schedule. The frontman is paid part of the salary for the hours every teacher works. So that is why at times (besides when the others quit) that teachers are flooded with hours. Also, she has the same students at all of her prep centers. Just look at the photos on the websites. Yes, the students are promised ridiculously high SAT scores and she also publishes fake scores and scholarship offers in her advertisements (otherwise why are the same students still in the school?). The process for deveoping and writing essays for university applications is rigged to rip off the parents and to frustrate the students as they never seem to finish their essays. I was supposed to be set-up the college counseling courses, which of course never happened. They did not provide this before I was there and I seriously doubt they provide it now as it takes someone with experience and knowledge - Diep has been doing it and she knows only to tell the students that they have to get ito Ivy league schools or she throws them to the side and takes their parent's money. She and the frontman ML are or were in on everything together - do not be fooled by them playing good cop bad cop.

Yes, it is a risk and adventure anytime you work abroad, but teachers do need to share information about the less resposible and let's face it just down right crooks out there.

ExpatLuke - The UAE does not have a relatively clean reputation concerning any form of teaching. I know as I was there, was a principal and then worked for ADEC. In any country, even in Europe, you run into less than reputable organizations and people. I can only stress the importance of letting others know once you have had a bad experience. Yes, things do happen at times, but in general these things are in patterns.

Any questions... just message me.
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, teachers need to share information about scam schools.

My comments were directed at the person who said they were done with Vietnam because they had a bad experience at 1 school.
dazoneman

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Diep decided to try her luck recruiting new teachers again. Stay away at all costs.
mjoles81

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:18 pm    Post subject: Ivycation (Hanoi & HCMC): International Tax and Labor Fr Reply with quote

IVYCATION TAX & LABOR FRAUD (Vietnam & USA)

Students, Parents, and Teachers:

Ivycation has been committing tax fraud and labor fraud in Vietnam and the USA for many years, namely under the names of Diep Nguyen, Linda Nguyen, and CiCi Nguyen (sisters). I have been teaching ESL, ELA, SAT/ACT, and TOEFL for eleven years (with degree and certification in education), and I have never seen such a horrendous, illegal, and immoral operation like Ivycation!

Every teacher’s story is different so I cannot comment on the deceit/fraud of others. I have contacted several previous teachers in order to file a joint lawsuit in Vietnam and the USA against Ivycation (who is refusing to provide any documentation or legal address in the USA).

After my first three months of employment with Ivycation, Diep and Linda Nguyen refused to provide me copies of my contract, salary paystubs, or any paperwork required to open a bank account, rent an apartment, convert currencies, etc. Diep and Linda explained that my employment is illegal and blackmailed me to pay Ivycation retroactive taxes (1/3 of my salary for each month - $5,000)! They have used these "bait-and-switch" tactics before to bring teachers to Vietnam with a wonderful contract opportunity - only to find that their contracts are unilaterally broken, illegal and not registered, and the school devises ways to keep your money.

Additionally, Ivycation (Linda, Diep, Cici, Thuan, et al.) refused to follow the original contract and pay me for earned bonuses and housing allowance. Specifically, after moving to a new apartment close to their center, Diep and Linda changed my housing allowance retroactively and unilaterally from $1,000 to $800 to $400 to $200! By doing so, they kept more of my earned money… because of these illegal changes, I ended up homeless, and expelled from Vietnam!!!

Parents and students are also defrauded intentionally. Ivycation has a wide range of student levels – from basic/beginner – to near genius. These high performing students are given “scholarships” for free classes because Diep and Linda identify them as potential advertising to lure lower performing students to pay for their services by making false claims and promises. Additionally, these high achieving students, who agree to advertise/recruit other students, also are given “internships” and “employment” opportunities at Ivycation to help build their college applications and increase their odds to be accepted into top-tier universities.

These actions are despicable because Diep, Linda, Ivycation, et al., are using smart students (who would be successful without Ivycation) to propel their family business, and giving select special students extra opportunities – for which lower-performing students have to pay thousands of dollars!!!

Some students’ scores go up slightly (which happens for any student who invests extra time for daily reading, writing, test practice – without a “prep school” – as in the case with most American students); nevertheless, most Ivycation students leave disillusioned and in deficit to Ivycation. These stories are not shared on their webpages because it highlights Diep/Linda’s many levels of fraud/deceit.

None of the Iocal Ivycation staff has experience or education in teaching methods/approaches or education theory. This is evident because they do not invest in teaching aids, books, or curricula for students or teachers. Instead, they are breaking Vietnamese and American laws regarding copyright infringements for test materials/books. They bring teachers in to review SAT/ACT/TOEFL in class using illegal/copied materials from online, something students can accomplish on their own with daily reading/writing practice for FREE!!!

When I asked for Ivycation curricula, they informed me that there is none – and that previous teachers simply “improvised”. When I offered to create a curricula and syllabus to bring order to chaos, Diep and Linda argued that it is not necessary. Students simply pay to come to Ivycation so that they can do practice which can be found independently online, with the aid of an online tutor, or English speaking friend.

Lastly, Ivycation is using my name, image, and video to sell their businesses on their webpage and YouTube. (Infringement of Right of Publicity and Unlawful Use of Name or Likeness.) This is another illegal business practice in the USA, namely New York and California where they operate their illegal business, but also internationally because we do not have a written agreement. My image/presentation was before I became aware of Ivycation’s Labor/Tax fraud, and my subsequent requests for my contract, salary receipts, and paperwork for housing/banking. If I had known the scope of Ivycation’s illegal fraud before my presentation, I would have resigned and reported Diep and Linda to the Labor/Tax Ministries.

If you can provide me with their USA office address or mailing address, I will file a joint lawsuit with other previous teachers, students, and parents. I can be reached at: [email protected].

Otherwise, please share your experiences of fraud, deceit, and manipulation on social media. Please do not feel that you have failed as a student – you must realize that Ivycation has failed you and fraudulently has taken your parents’ hard-earned money!

We cannot change the past; nevertheless, together we can change the future – to make sure that more students, parents, and teachers are not duped, swindled, or defrauded by the illegal actions of Diep, Linda, Thuan, CiCi, and other unscrupulous Ivycation staff!

Knowledge is power!

Godspeed,

MJO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: