Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone tell me about ELES Centers, Muscat
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
omanoman

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm maybe you should pm me about your contact because my information / contacts are current and your statements are flat out wrong.

I like the place and have worked there in the past occasionally so I know the people and the circumstances of the past. Comparing to a Korean hag won is just so inaccurate that I have to assume you may be just a disgruntled character looking to try a smear job.

Omanoman
balqis

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, unbearable.
balqis
CVN-76

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait to not work for ELES/ELS ever again. Oh, wait, I'm already not working for them ever again. Here's to never being in the employ of one of the worst agencies in Oman. Here, Here.
omanoman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not an agency?? Maybe you are one of the ex Buraimi crowd, some of whom seemed to suffer under the director there who by all accounts was a jerk.

My time spent here and there over the years with them has been either benign or downright positive most times.

Seriously, I can't reconcile these posts with my own experience with the centers there.

omanoman
CVN-76

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
saltyham

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:43 pm    Post subject: Nope Reply with quote

I ended up working there until June 2015 and it was bad. Contracts not honoured, pay often late, highly questionable ethics by management. If you want more information, feel free to pm me, I'm still in touch with a lot of people who stayed on after I left (they too have left now) and some who are still there. Horror story.
Pretty sure OmanOman is on the payroll.
Tazz

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one person singing the praises of an institute/ company when all around ex employees are warning people to stay away-think that the view of the many would be persuasive enough if anybody is considering working at this place.... Rolling Eyes
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Man me thinks this is a great place to teach English in Musk Rat Shocked
nicole2010

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would recommend giving the place a chance despite the negative reviews from some posters. However, one matter I feel the most important to point out is they do have pay on time issues so if you do not have money to cover at least 1.5 months of living expense it could be difficult. The positives are they have a modern office setting in Muscat, the manager is western and reasonable, and they are not into desk warming and the schedule is convenient, and many of the students are Omani professionals or employees of a ministry.

In their defense, I think the management has seen a lot of BS and bizarre behaviors from their staff through the years and may have become cynical even when there are legitimate gripes from good teachers.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, they have a bad reputation in the Gulf going back many years.

Where is the job? There is a centre in Muscat and I met some very professional staff from there a few years ago. Their reputation elsewhere is poor.

I'd do some research before I committed to anything as the chance of transferring once in the country is small.
balqis

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2015 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general in certain deep provinces in Oman life is extreme and hard beyond imagination, even if you work for CoT or CAS. Your office in the college - if you have one - and the college building may be the only up-to-certain-standard place in the whole area/town, and the college campus the only properly paved place.

And besides, to work for an institution in Muscat and for its small branch somewhere in the interior of Oman has very little in common.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I agree with this comparison about life in OH MAN.....have always enjoyed teaching in Musk Rat over IBRI....although I also do enjoy the EFL spirits and ghastly ghosts at the Ibri Oasis Hotel Waterhole not far from the College Of Technology! Shocked
balqis

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the ''bizarre behaviours'' mentioned earlier, truly and verily, but how one is to behave in the deep interiour of Oman, but bizarre only??
You live there on the edge non-stop and more or less pray that the water delivery to your roof tank is on time, there is no power cut in the area, and the Bengalis who are always your neighbours - and there is no other neighbours to be found there - are quiet [ and hardly ever they are, considering there is 25 of them into a two-room flat].

And if the said institution want experience teachers, i.e. those who know how to mask a little better their bizarre response to the interiour of Oman, well then the said institution should raise their wages substantially, so that experience teachers may consider working for them.
Otherwise those who come to Oman to work as ESL teachers with no prior experience of the country and lured therein by the imagery of the Ministry of Tourism of Oman designed smartly for a wealthy French or German tourist, well they are going to have a very unpleasant and bizarre awakening in many places they end up at in Oman.

balqis
omanoman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spirits in IBRA are just as entertaining, at the Hotel there or at Sharqiya Sands. Not much else to do although the area has some excellent tourist spots - wahiba sands, Wadi bani khalid, al ashkara, ras al jinz (turtles).

Some good times there

merry Christmas all !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: