Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University teaching in Latin America
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danmbob

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: University teaching in Latin America Reply with quote

Are there university jobs in Latin America?

Last edited by danmbob on Sat May 06, 2017 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes there are. Mexico is probably your best option. Come visit us in the Mexico subforum for more information.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a good place in Peru. You can PM me.
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of places in Ecuador would be interested as well.
danmbob

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

any info on the Ecuador unis?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you like to know? There are a couple of us here who work in Ecuador universities.
danmbob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay? hours? housing? job specs? hire from abroad?
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay depends on location, but $10-$15 approximately in the major cities.

Hours: +/- 15 hours contact full time if you are in a genuine university job, or 20+ in a language institute based in a university.

Housing: Plenty available, but don't expect any financial or practical help with it.

Overseas hires are rare, especially if you don't already have contacts.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For someone with your experience, I would also look into (1) the U.S. State Department Teaching Fellows Program (for teaching at the university level) and (2) the Fullbright Program (for teacher trainers, usually based in universities), both of which pay upwards towards 30,000+ per year plus benefits, RT transportation, and housing assistance. Also, the Peace Corps now has a program (3-12mos) for either returned PC volunteers or highly trained and experienced professionals like you which has some interesting teacher training opportunities, particularly in some of the more-difficult-to-find-viable-employment countries in Latin America.

I could also PM you the names of some universities in the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico worth checking out, but I think you'll find the above opportunities to be a bit more compelling.
danmbob

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for those tips. I'm familiar with the ELF program and Fulbright but I didn't realize the Peace Corps did stuff like that. thanks very much
Xie Lin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
For someone with your experience, I would also look into (1) the U.S. State Department Teaching Fellows Program (for teaching at the university level) and (2) the Fullbright Program (for teacher trainers, usually based in universities), both of which pay upwards towards 30,000+ per year plus benefits, RT transportation, and housing assistance. Also, the Peace Corps now has a program (3-12mos) for either returned PC volunteers or highly trained and experienced professionals like you which has some interesting teacher training opportunities, particularly in some of the more-difficult-to-find-viable-employment countries in Latin America.

Good advice from the prof. Very Happy

esl_prof

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danmbob wrote:
thanks for those tips. I'm familiar with the ELF program and Fulbright but I didn't realize the Peace Corps did stuff like that. thanks very much

You're welcome! Please keep us posted on how things go with your transition to Latin America. It's always helpful and informative to hear other folks' stories.
Sudz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...was about to start a new thread on this, but this one fits well.

I've just finished my MA TESOL, and am looking for options in 2016. I enjoy Japan, but am likely to leave unless I can get my way into a uni here - which isn't guaranteed by any stretch.

In any case, I've been interested in LA for some time (particularly SA), and am wondering where I may be able to find work at the university level. I have several years of experience, though nothing at the university level.

I'm a single guy, and am not too concerned about money, though I would ideally like to be able to put away a little bit so I can 'putter' around SA to some degree (I understand though that it is a huge area). I'd rather not be confined to one small area due to financial constraints - as well as potential work constraints.

Columbia has always greatly interested me, though am open to locations.

Any feedback would be fantastic.

Cheers
currentaffairs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sudz - it would be a good thing to try spelling it as 'Colombia' for starters!

I was in Japan for six years. You should be able to get some part-time university work with your quals. Any kind of teaching experience at the university level will set you up for future opportunities. I would probably go for some jobs in Japan and see what comes up. This is a good time to look for work with the universities starting late Sept/Oct.

Another option would be the Middle East. You could definitely get work in Saudi Arabia or UAE at colleges or universities. You could work for a couple of years and then head to South America with some money behind you.

I have been in Colombia and as others note, a lot of work comes through recommendations and on the ground job hunting with comparatively little overseas recruitment. It can also take a year to get a good job/jobs so having some money will help.
Sudz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks you very much sir - I've made that spelling mistake before.

I do plan to look into Japanese university positions. Unfortunately (regarding Sept/Oct start dates) I would have to bail out of my current job, which I'd prefer not to do. In any case, I'll likely start applying for the April start dates sooner rather than later.

SA might have to wait until later. Sounds as though I'll need some real $$$$ to make a go at it, and my current job doesn't pay all that well. Never considered working in SA...until I heard about the vacation time!

Thanks for the insight!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: