Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No schools for old men
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wsavoie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:51 am    Post subject: No schools for old men Reply with quote

Just poking around.

I have a BA in English/Education from Michigan State University and an MA in Educational Leadership from Washington State University. I've worked in public schools in USA for 20+ years and have a legitimate ESL endorsement.

I've taught internationally before, in Korea in the nineties, and have done corporate education and two-year college.

I suspect Thailand doesn't hire older people. I get that. And I don't really have an interest in being an edutainment clown. That being said.

Question #1

What are the chances that an international school or Thai university might hire me for part time work?

Question #2

Would it worth starting a language school with a Thai nominee, or is that whole business dubious?

Question #3

Can I get a retirement visa AND work part time, or is that just asking for trouble?

I don't really need the money per se. It would be nice, but mostly to stay busy and give me something to do. I have been to Thailand, as a visitor, and while you don't really know a country until you live there, I don't view it as untenable.

I know I would certainly qualify for a retirement visa, and have been toying with the "elite" visa. Certainly, there are elements of this post that seem contradictory. Please don't flame me. I am just trying to get a sense of things and I am asking for your opinion and help.

Thanks in advance.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice is to just come to the Land of Smiles and retire here...if you are over 50 it is extremely difficult to find a job teaching English here...enjoy your retirement. Smile
suphanburi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
My advice is to just come to the Land of Smiles and retire here...if you are over 50 it is extremely difficult to find a job teaching English here...enjoy your retirement. Smile

MOD EDIT

There are lots of "over 50's" working here (legitimately) as teachers.
For those who are properly qualified (education degree or teacher's licensure) there is no shortage of work or decent employers to work for.

Over 60 and it becomes an issue. Thais face "mandatory retirement" at 62.
Over 65 and (legitimate) employment is almost not possible.

wsavoie wrote:
Question #1

What are the chances that an international school or Thai university might hire me for part time work?

Question #2

Would it worth starting a language school with a Thai nominee, or is that whole business dubious?

Question #3

Can I get a retirement visa AND work part time, or is that just asking for trouble?

1) Thai uni = possible, especially in their language center.
These jobs are found "on the ground" as on as "as needed" basis (usually about 30-90 days before the start of the semester).
Uni's here run Aug-Dec and Jan-May. 6-15 class hours per week but the pay is poor (25k thb/month)

International school = also possible but local hires are NOT given the same package as "international" hires.

Additionally, the chance of legitimate, part-time work (with proper visa and work permit) is slim.
It is usually not worth an employer's time, cash and effort to get you a visa and work permit for part-time work.
These types of jobs are in demand (decent international school typically pay double or more what EFL jobs pay) and usually have an adequate supply of applicants for full time work.

2) It is a good way to turn $100,000 into $10,000.

3) Not legally. You can't legally work (for remuneration) on a retirement, ED or tourist visa.

That said, depending on where you end up there will often be options for under-the-table work. Not legal but common enough and enforcement is not usually an issue.

EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

AGE is a serious issue here in the Land of Sm when it comes to teaching English... Age discrimination is rife and if you are over 50 it is extremely difficult for a Newbie to find work. There are many EFL teachers who have been here for decades,,,and I can tell you for a fact that you will face serioua competition in finding teaching teaching work here. Thais like employing EFL teachers in their 20's and 30's...as they think youth is very important (and not experience) when teaching at Thai government and private schools. Also you need a lot of energy in teaching Thai students...and [b]Edutainers need to be funny, young looking and of course very, very active in class[/b]. Also the salaries they offer here are geared for young newbies....just enough money to get by and come to work daily. SAVINGS ia next to impossible....most EFL teachers would be lucky to save enough money to pay for their ticket home every year. Again my advice is come to Thailand to retire if you are over 50....and make sure you have enough money to support yourself too! Shocked
adaruby

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
My advice is to just come to the Land of Smiles

Rolling Eyes

Land of Smiles? When was the last time a Thai - who wasn't taking your money - smiled at you?

Land of Stares, more like.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adaruby wrote:
EFL Educator wrote:
My advice is to just come to the Land of Smiles

Rolling Eyes

Land of Smiles? When was the last time a Thai - who wasn't taking your money - smiled at you?

Land of Stares, more like.

Land of Scams Laughing

To the OP:

Burma is opening up, and older teachers with exp. and esp. higher degrees/certs are in demand.

Cambodia is always an option, but low pay as well.

VN could have something suitable for you as well.

Good luck!
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Land of Farang!!! Smile Smile Smile
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news...there is now a new school for "old men" in Thailand.....it is called "The Farang Thai Wife School" in Pattaya! Smile
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if you have a Master's of Science and a TEFL with years of experience just run to Burma?
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on the Thai Forum is too slow!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
So if you have a Master's of Science and a TEFL with years of experience just run to Burma?

Sure, why not? You can always run back to Thailand aka the Land Of Smiles- LOL Laughing
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Smile Smile
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does holding a master's in TESOL or Applied Linguistics or a doctorate give one much advantage at getting hired at the best schools or universities?

I have met a lot of guys with just a bachelor's and a CELTA who were doing well. But some were looking to get out and escape to Taiwan or Korea if they could.

I don't know, it wouldn't be worth it financially if you were set on staying in Thailand to do a master's or doctorate. Maybe a CELTA, but not a master's.
bigdurian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP:

If you were considering the Elite scheme then I can't see how you can't do the retirement visa. 800K in the bank isn't that much.

Plenty of work for 50+ IMO, maybe not in regular schools as such, but I'd go with language schools.

You say money isn't that important and you're just looking for something to keep busy, so language schools won't tie you down to one place for eight hours a day. Also, after a while living somewhere, it's fairly easy to pick up privates.

Many Thai people do still respect age and experience, which you have.

I say go for it. If it doesn't work out, make sure you have something to fall back on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: