Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Thailand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoddinot

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: Teaching in Thailand Reply with quote

I have a B Ed and a TESOL certificate. I am an experienced teacher, having taught in New Zealand for 30 years. I am 57. Is it possible to find a job in Thailand at my age? I want to teach there next year if possible. Owen
sigmoid

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 8:20 am    Post subject: sure thing Reply with quote

Oh yeah. Thailand is desperate for teachers at this point due to low salaries and increasingly expensive and demanding visa/work permit regulations.

With your qualifications and experience you should have no problem finding a job in Thailand. The real question is do you want one? Smile
ChrisP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: age Reply with quote

Yes, you could get one, but there is terrific age discrimination. China is a better bet.
WorkingVaca

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:22 pm    Post subject: Qualifications Reply with quote

I think only the national universities and the British Council actually require certification and experience for decent salaries teaching in Thailand. Otherwise, be prepared to compete for low-paying jobs with people much younger and much less qualified than yourself. If you can accept this, and not become indignant that the Thais cannot recognize your superior qualifications, then you will be happy there.

I knew a guy working in Thailand that was always asking around for highly paid positions teaching "Business English" (which might as well mean "tout English" in Thailand) because he felt he was overqualified for the public schools and language centers, and was disappointed again and again at the poor salaries offered him, since he felt he deserved more with his "qualifications." Last I heard he was looking around for work in Hong Kong or Taiwan.

My point is, do not expect your qualifications to earn you a higher salary than other teachers in Thailand. Good luck.
tedkarma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't mess around with the regular language schools - go right to the "real" international schools where you will earn at least double (sometimes triple or more) the going rate and probably get free housing and an air ticket thrown in.

You are qualified and experienced - which will mean absolutely NOTHING to the lanuage schools and EVERYTHING to the international schools. I, btw, say "real" international schools as there are many local schools that want to pretend to be international schools and have the word in their title, but that is where the comparison stops. With your quals and exp., if you don't start for at least B60-80k the school isn't real.

If you are seeking a decent job and salary - as above, time your arrival for a couple months before the school year - or a month or so before the end of the school year and introduce yourself (cold call) all the major schools (do a web search - there are about 5-6 major reputable schools in the BKK area). You'll land something decent - don't listen to the naysayers. They don't really know how it works.

Even better - check out the major recruiters such as ISS - the "real" schools tend to hire ONLY from overseas at major conferences and you might need to fly to Oz for an interview rather than to BKK. If you get hired while in Thailand - you'll most likely be a "local hire" without all the benefits - lower salary (the B60-80k mentioned above), no housing and no plane ticket. You could expect at least B80k up to B120k if hired from overseas - by one of the "real" schools.

Don't waste your time with the language schools - they will only make you feel devalued and worthless. That's their game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: