Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

University Job in Moscow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MO39

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: University Job in Moscow Reply with quote

I've been tentatively offered a job teaching English and Spanish at a private university in Moscow, one with links to an American university. It pays $1000 a month plus a studio apartment on campus. I have never been to Russia and do not speak the language, but I feel a certain affinity for it since all of my grandparents emigrated from there to the United States around the turn of the previous century. Any reactions to this offer from those of you who have spent some time in Moscow would be greatly appreciated!

MO

P.S. I am in my late fifties; would my age be any sort of advantage or disadvantage in Russia?
Communist Smurf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 6:08 am    Post subject: MUT Reply with quote

Are you talking about Moscow University Touro? To my knowledge, they're the only private university in Moscow with direct ties to an American university. I visited their campus once. I've heard only bad things about them. I spoke to one American professor there and he was pretty cool. But when I spoke to this one woman, I think the Vice Rector, she was rude and got impatient quickly.

If this is the same school we're talking about, then I think you'll be ok without Russian. It seemed to me all the students spoke atleast some English. It's a pretty small school too. I know they have Spanish classes so I think we're talking about the same school. $1k + apartment *on campus* sounds like a great deal.

Check out the Job Information Journal. The entries are old but maybe it'll help.
MO39

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:28 pm    Post subject: Thanks for the warning! Reply with quote

C.S. - Thanks for the warning! Yes, the school in question is indeed Moscow University Touro. I just read the pertinent entries in the Job Information Journal, and from what they say, it looks like a place to stay away from, or at least it was a few years ago. If anyone has more recent information, I'd really appreciate hearing from them.

MO
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: