Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

teaching chile

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bertonneau

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: teaching chile Reply with quote

So, I called the guy who runs Teaching Chile. He seemed like a nice guy and answered my questions about things. It wasn't until I read more about this program that I came to understand what's going on. First, you pay a 50 dollar application fee. He does whatever work he does and apparently sees what he can find you. Next, you pay a 1300 placement fee for him getting you a job wherever he finds it. Next you pay the 1000 dollars or so that it costs you to get a round trip ticket to Chile and back depending on where you live in the world. That's 2350 out of your pocket for a job that pays about 700 a month give or take. If you think that's some great deal and find it a fair tradeoff for having someone get you a job for a fee than great go for it. I find it a ripoff for someone to charge me that amount of money in order to land a job that pays so little. As his website says this is a job not a volunteer experience. So if you find that acceptable than go for it otherwise for anyone wanting to find a job in Chile that doesn't involve that kind of money just to pay for a job I'd seriously look elsewhere.
esl_prof

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cardinal rule of ESL job hunting: Never pay a recruiter.

Recruiters get paid by the schools they recruit for, not the teachers who utilize their services.
bertonneau

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Yup! Reply with quote

Yeah man I got ya. I'm just passing on this info on to those completely new to this.
BajaLaJaula

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was appalled as well when I visited their site and saw that they require the job seeker to pay the recruiter.

And 700 a month doesn't get you much, even in rural areas. Would be cheaper to find a job on your own by taking your chances and emailing directly to schools. What a load of sh*te.

Are teachers really that desperate to live in Chile?
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:13 am    Post subject: Here's the deal.. Reply with quote

Many Americans want to go anywhere in Latin America to "work" because they want to learn Spanish; they just can't accept that we can't.

Few schools hire from abroad..and even fewer advertise; even if they do advertise they often say "thanks for your interest..stop by when you get here!". I am not exaggerating, either. A Chilean school once did advertise and I replied; they sent me their standard package and we e-mailed back and forth. Finally they asked "have you brought your ticket yet?". I politely replied that I wasn't coming unless I had a job (with them, of course) lined up.. and that was the end of our discussions.

So..teachingchile hasn't died out yet because people (hopefully!) do in fact try to find a job before resorting to using them. They hear over and over (and OVER) "Once you are here stop by and sure.. we'll set up an interview..". If they try other countries it can be even worse..at least Chile is wealthier than most countries in the region. If people dig even deeper into job hunting they learn that the visa issue is a mess in (as far as I know) all Latin American countries; this program promises to get you a legal one. They can't give up on their dream, so they try teachingchile.

Advice:
No don't pay anyone 1400 to get you a 700/month job.. if math isn't your thing, that's 2 full months of your salary Smile. And roundtrip airfare is 3 grand from the USA to Chile, not just 1000. (It might be more from England or the rest of Europe.) Plus there's your CELTA.

But don't just fly to Chile because "I have no other choice.." either. You do have a choice; if you can't get a school to hire you from where you currently live--in 2015!-- then don't go to Chile (or anywhere else more than a seven hour drive from where you live) just to job hunt. And please don't buy into the fairy tale that "this is just their culture.." and decide "hey..you go exactly to not just "see" but be in a new culture, right? And if you go into a new culture with an open mind things usually work out". It might work out.. but odds are you won't find an amazing, great paying job that only hires people who are here in person by just going alone.
lagringalindissima

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: I would add.. Reply with quote

Why would a company use teachingchile? Why would a company pay teachingchile to find them teachers? They must know any teacher that applies will owe about 1300 to a 3rd party, right? Is it that hard to find teachers? I'd be wary of a company using teachingchile to find teachers.
Hemlock32

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 2:08 am    Post subject: This is a scam Reply with quote

I just paid 50 dollars to this recruiting agency, and I got a bunch of details on the way back, and I had an interview through skype set up and nothing has happened. I tried writing an email back to the people who wrote me and got nothing back.

We should be able to tell the operators of this website to ban them from this site.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: