Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CELTA qualified but no degree
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sharona

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:18 am    Post subject: CELTA qualified but no degree Reply with quote

Hi, is there anywhere I can teach in China or SE Asia without a degree?

I am 53 yrs old from New Zealand and am CELTA qualified.

I also have some experience as I taught English in China for six months approx 5 years ago (I seemed to be accepted without a degree then, I'm unsure if it was legal or not - I got a visa & was hired no problem even though I was upfront about my no degree status).

So is it possible? thanks Smile
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it legally possible = yes, in in a few places (Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar) but that will change next year (2015) and this is November 2014.

Is is illegally possible = yes. There are still lots of tourist teachers in SE Asia working on tourist visas. Buy a ticket, fly in and try your luck. You'll be doing regular border hops (so pack light) but it can be done.

You won't be well paid, it won't come with a visa or any other benefits and any employer who would hire an illegal would also have no qualms about screwing you around and feeding you to the dogs either.

Is it legally possible in the ASEAN + 6 after next year (2015) = no.

sharona

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

Who is the ASEAN + 6?

When in 2015 will it change?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharona wrote:
Thanks.

Who is the ASEAN + 6?

When in 2015 will it change?

Association of Southeast Asian Nations
ASEAN +6 is like the Asian version of the EU.

http://www.asean.org/communities/asean-economic-community/category/asean-free-trade-area-afta-council

Implementation of the AEC (ASEAN Economic Community) comes into effect no later than Dec 2015. In some countries it has already begun or is in the transition phase.

Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: CELTA qualified but no degree Reply with quote

sharona wrote:
Hi, is there anywhere I can teach in China or SE Asia without a degree?

I am 53 yrs old from New Zealand and am CELTA qualified.

I also have some experience as I taught English in China for six months approx 5 years ago (I seemed to be accepted without a degree then, I'm unsure if it was legal or not - I got a visa & was hired no problem even though I was upfront about my no degree status).

So is it possible? thanks Smile

Legally in SE Asia or China? Nowhere.

Illegally in the same countries? Everywhere.

I would doubt any school that would bother to do a work visa/permit would hire somebody without a degree just so they might work 1 year before they had to be let go due to new immigration policies. But plenty of schools hire under the table and has been said, you can expect the pay to be low, no benefits, no vacation, no respect & no job security/stability.
sharona

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have an important choice to make.

Which Asian countries am I more likely to be caught whilst working illegally?

Would I face a fine / deportation from all countries if caught or might one or two be a teeny weeny bit more lenient? thanks
suphanburi

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharona wrote:

Would I face a fine / deportation from all countries if caught or might one or two be a teeny weeny bit more lenient? thanks

Working as a tourist teacher will, if caught, earn you a fine and deportation. It may land you a few days in an immigration detention center pending your exit.

MOD EDIT

Working as a tourist or on the wrong (usually "business") visa is far less risk and common enough all over (especially China, Cambodia, Vietnam and Laos). There are still lots of tourist (TR visa) in Thailand but employment options are becoming more limited.

esl_prof

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharona wrote:

I'd choose "E) none of the above." Instead, go to Latin America where you can find a third-tier language school that won't care whether or not you have a degree and the government will allow you to apply for a residency visa independently of an employer. At least you'll be legal and won't have to worry about being deported.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

esl_prof wrote:
sharona wrote:

I'd choose "E) none of the above." Instead, go to Latin America where you can find a third-tier language school that won't care whether or not you have a degree and the government will allow you to apply for a residency visa independently of an employer. At least you'll be legal and won't have to worry about being deported.

Yes, it would make much more sense to go to Latin America. Language is easier to learn, more/better long-term options (IMO) in regards to investment, business, long-term visas, residency etc.

In Mexico, at least before, if you got caught illegal, you could just pay a fine, about $500USD and they would even process a legit visa for you to stay there. Most Lat Am countries have common sense immigration laws, rules and enforcement.
Dave_1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharona wrote:

Ignore the advice of these people. SE Asia is full of teachers not with degrees and very little danger of being caught. Very few schools have the will and resources to go through the maze of rules a work permit is..pick up 2 part-time jobs, it's easy to find in big cities and full time jobs don't always work out so degree thing a waste of money if you don't already have one. Some of these people don't want any new arrivals in SE Asia as it just lowers salary rates so if they talk 500 people a year out of coming here, that's a few dollars an hour higher for them as teacher shortage created. This person calling some "tourist teachers"..what a patronizing thing to say. Go to south america if you prefer but if your heart s set on SE Asia, do that and be prepared to work a couple of jobs, part-time, short term full time...the turn over is incredible in many schools and why many employers do no care to go for work permits. That's the truth
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed stay in ASIA if your heart is set in Asia.....Good luck! Smile
Dave_1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
Agreed stay in ASIA if your heart is set in Asia.....Good luck! Smile

well said..go to one of the bigger cities of the far east, with cheaper costs of living, many schools, and start applying...get a part-time gig, seek another and have a good year or two. The reason so much recruitment goes on is cause so many teachers quit, not because of high demand. The whole industry is run short-term and month to month...2/3rds of schools are short term and do no shell out big cash on work permits..some are cowboys, some are half decent places that need to make money in what is a highly transient and seasonal market of students and teachers. Google school name before going for interview to check on their past, refuse to go to any middle men/agents, have a year's savings reachable in case you hit a bad patch (500 usd a month covers rent+food in Lao,Cambodia,Thailand,Vietnam)

Be wary of any on here insisting SE Asia is only for degree holders...they have other agenda..they lose jobs to better teachers in some cases and are sore about that. They want you to think immigration and police are rading schools all over and that borders are closed to visa runners...it serves their narrative.

If one likes social life, drinks and eat expensive, has pricey hobbies, they'll only break even only in far east even with 2 jobs
VietCanada

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

500 is not enough for Vietnam. You have to leave the country every three months to renew your visa. No legitimate teacher is going to lose their job over you. No legitimate teacher would accept the low wages and abuse to accept a job you would have to. Parents will gladly turn you in for the refund on their child's fees. Don't be a fool.
Dave_1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VietCanada wrote:
500 is not enough for Vietnam. You have to leave the country every three months to renew your visa. No legitimate teacher is going to lose their job over you. No legitimate teacher would accept the low wages and abuse to accept a job you would have to. Parents will gladly turn you in for the refund on their child's fees. Don't be a fool.

I lived on 500 USD a month in VN..I was 4 years there...visas vary..can extend in country, or take a trip out. Someone with a CELTA is not legit? There are Lao, Cambodia, Thailand, Myanmar...VN nowt special now. Easy to move on. I saw your thing about parents turning teachers in...never read of that or heard of it in 4 years...but you want to create picture of immigration and police raids as schools even though it hardly ever happens. Well done for scaring people away with baseless fear
fpshangzhou

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in China it's quite easy to find work without a degree. My company hires uni students from non-native English speaking countries all the time. Matter of fact, yesterday I met 2 uni students from Venezuela studying here on student visas. They got hired, albeit part-time positions.
There's always ways around the whole work permit situation, but this board discourages such practice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: