Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

China, Malaysia or Indonesia?? - non-degree holder
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Because there was one typo that clearly invalidates my point, doesn't it? Yawn. There are umpteen articles about how insufferably rude Typo and Grammar Nazis are online. Try reading one some time. This is not the first time Mystery Train, the self-appointed typo fixer, has arrived and rudely started correcting others.

Also, you are off topic. The OP wanted to find out where she could be employed without a degree, so a rehash of how necessary a TEFL certificate is in China is a sideshow. Further, most of the better regarded schools require one, even if it isn't technically required.

Last edited by bradleycooper on Mon Nov 10, 2014 3:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
bradleycooper

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mysterytrain wrote:
bradleycooper wrote:
Indonesia now requires not only a degree but a degree in an English-related subject. Frankly, I doubt yours will be a very appealing CV to most employers in Indonesia these days. They can't even get most degree-holders through. Word of mouth is that it is hard to get a job there without a degree now- unless you know the right people. But presumably you don't?

It is not about who the prospective employee knows, but rather who the prospective employer knows, or has for a "friend" in which office.

Quote:
Unfortunately, the same now applies for China. They require a degree, a TEFL certificate, 2 years' work experience and a criminal record check. The laws were tightened as of late 2013.

China does not (up to the present day) have a national governmental requirement for a TEFL certificate, to the best of my knowledge, nor do all provinces in the PRC carry such a requirement (though some may). Can you provide a link to documentation of the relevant regulation or law, or other clear information / cite to back up your statement?

With respect to the last sentence, I justed want to point out that the correct spelling of the word "site" uses a "s" not an "c". Cite is actually a verb not a noun. Of course you already realize that, but you have set the bar pretty high by correcting others, so I thought it would be rude not to return the favour.
Razz
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleycooper wrote:

Also, you are off topic. The OP wanted to find out where she could be employed without a degree, so a rehash of how necessary a TEFL certificate is in China is a sideshow. Further, most of the better regarded schools require one, even if it isn't technically required.

Right, OP wanted to know where to find a job without a degree, correct. So who went "off that topic" by mentioning imaginary national requirements for TEFL certificates, which has nothing to do with the OP's needs? Well, Brad, it was you.

So I guess you will now use the crutch of "off-topic" to refrain from contesting or refuting my assertion that the specific information you have supplied there (the "off-topic" information, that is) is incorrect and misleading. Have a nice day.

Last edited by mysterytrain on Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
mysterytrain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bradleycooper wrote:
Wow. Because there was one typo that clearly invalidates my point, doesn't it? Yawn. There are umpteen articles about how insufferably rude Typo and Grammar Nazis are online. Try reading one some time. This is not the first time Mystery Train, the self-appointed typo fixer, has arrived and rudely started correcting others.

I was trying my very best to mind my manners, Bradley. I didn't even mention the quaint construction quoted below, for example. I hope you can "get able" to appreciate my efforts in this regard. Smile

bradleycooper wrote:
Therefore, if we are going to split hairs and get finnicky, it depends both on who the prospective employee knows (in existing school chains) and who the prospective employer knows in government offices. Having a good social network and contacts within Jakarta is very valuable for employees, as it allows them to know which schools may get able to get around governmental regulations.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: