Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kaspi Education Centre,Baku - any comments are appreciated
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jm2505

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Kaspi Education Centre,Baku - any comments are appreciated Reply with quote

I last worked in Baku (Language Services Direct) around 8 years ago and would appreciate any info about the Kaspi Education Centre.

Also, what is Baku and the EFL sector like these days?

Many thanks in advance.
tuco

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Kaspi Education Centre,Baku - any comments are appreciat Reply with quote

jm2505 wrote:

Also, what is Baku and the EFL sector like these days?

I would like to second that question.

Anyone here working in Baku? Azerbaijan is a fascinating country and I'm considering going there for a few months.
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't answer your school question.

But I spent some time in Baku. The is no way I would describe it as "fascinating".

People were nice, but that town is seriously a dump. And literally too. When we were there garbage was piled in drifts all over town. The streets were almost impassable for the potholes.

Public utilities are unreliable - water and electricity regularly fail. The subway grinds to a that when that happens. Not good.

And there's not much to do.

Baku makes Russia look like paradise.
tuco

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject: huh? Reply with quote

I was talking about cultural accomplishments, not infrastructural shortcomings.

Try not to think about trash for a moment and listen to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5VPQgsgVXU

Rolling Eyes
expatella_girl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If one were to be living in Baku, failed infrastructure definitely would be a daily feature of notice. It would be impossible not to notice.

If your agenda is to go there and revel in the 'culture', please feel free to do so.

Somehow I feel you have come here less with questions, and more to make assertions.

You should live where you like and enjoy what suits you. If Azerbaijan is your cup of tea, please drink mine too while you're there.
tuco

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With pleasure.
Deats

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Azerbaijan is one of the most underrated countries on planet Earth. I have been to 86 countries and I'd put it in the top 10 quite comfortably. I have posted my blog links to some cool things to see/do if you make it to Baku.

Baku has its rough sides, but the old town is stunning:

http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/2550/Beautiful-Baku-430?isUpdate=true

http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/2550/Out-cold-433?isUpdate=true

Nearby is Atesgah Fire Temple, Merdekan, Suvelan and Nardaran:

http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/2550/Atesgah-Fire-Temple-Merdekan-431?isUpdate=true

There are some sublime villages and towns like Sheki:

http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/2550/Civilisation-well-shower-least-439?isUpdate=true

and Lahic: http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/2550/Breathtaking-views-without-bear-437?isUpdate=true

The ancient petroglyphs at Qobustan.

http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/2550/day-Petroglyphs-432?isUpdate=true

And what about the mountains at Xinaliq. Wow:

http://www.travbuddy.com/travel-blogs/2550/great-escape-frikking-BEAR-434?isUpdate=true
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone is missing the point somewhat. OP was asking about the ESL sector and I don't think I'd be wrong in assuming that he is also asking what it's like to live there.

With the exception of expatella_girl, you're all discussing Baku as a tourist destination. Visiting for 2 weeks is very different from living somewhere.

2ndOP doesn't seem interested in anything other than a glowing review, so perhaps the new aim of this thread should be to just post about why Baku is the greatest place on Earth.
tuco

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phillip Schofield wrote:
I think everyone is missing the point somewhat. OP was asking about the ESL sector and I don't think I'd be wrong in assuming that he is also asking what it's like to live there.

With the exception of expatella_girl, you're all discussing Baku as a tourist destination. Visiting for 2 weeks is very different from living somewhere.

2ndOP doesn't seem interested in anything other than a glowing review, so perhaps the new aim of this thread should be to just post about why Baku is the greatest place on Earth.

Thank you for your invaluable input. Smile How long have you been living in Baku?
tuco

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I supposed to apologize for being offended by expatella's message? Words have consequences. You don't just take a dump in a public place and then take umbrage when called on it.
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuco wrote:

Thank you for your invaluable input. Smile How long have you been living in Baku?

Many years. It's a wonderful place of open meadows and rainbows. The average salary for an ESL teacher is $10,000 per 60 hour week. Most schools also provide you with a free mansion.
The metro system is a wonder to behold, with its super efficient flying trains.

Truly a wonderful city.
tuco

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[deleted - too personal]

Last edited by tuco on Tue May 12, 2015 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Phillip Schofield

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, now I feel bad.
GotoRussia

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tuco, you seem to be sensitive to other's opinions on Baku simply because your mother was from there.

Understandable that you want to reconnect, but they are giving their valid views that it's a less than desirable place to live and work.

By all means you should go if you want to soak in the cultural history. I'm sure it has special meaning for you.

But for the average English teacher looking at this region it probably doesn't even pop up on the radar.

Don't be so offended when others say it's a dump.
jm2505

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phillip Schofield wrote:

If anyone read my original post, they would have spotted that I have lived in Baku before - 8 years ago - when I worked as an EFL teacher for a year.
I was imply wondering what the place was like now.

When I was there I thought Baku generally was a rat-infested, decaying dump but had potential. So I wondered if the Govt. had pulled its finger out and improved things. Having said that, the Azeri students I worked with (BP and Govt employees) were really pleasant.

Oh by the way I am a she not he.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: