Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Teaching in Kanchanaburi and finding other work beforehand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jrizbriz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Teaching in Kanchanaburi and finding other work beforehand Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm planning to move to Kanchanaburi in January because I spent two months teaching there this summer and loved it. I did an unpaid internship at a primary school in Tha Maka through an organisation called Love Tefl and now want to find a paid position in Kanchan for 2015. I have a Bachelors degree (2:1) and the Trinity London CertTESOL qualification plus two months teaching experience.

I applied to an agency and have applied for a few positions directly. I was asked to come for an interview for one position (social/moral studies teacher as opposed to standard EFL teaching) but sadly am not in Thailand yet so can't do that...

I am looking for any advice about finding work in Kanchanaburi! I am happy to work at primary/secondary level and can start at the end of January, although am aware that the next school term starts in May. I have noticed a lot of people saying that it's best to wait until you get there but as it's such a long way from home, I'd ideally like to get some interviews lined up before I fly! Has anyone had any success with this? My other question is what other work, if any, can I find to do in the months leading up to May? Have read a lot about non-Thai people struggling to find any so wondered what my options are...

Any advice will be gratefully received!! Smile
suphanburi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding work (other than piece work) in January (less than 30 instruction days left in the school term) is going to be next to impossible.

You have the correct paperwork (degree and passport) to get legal so all you need to do is arrive here in mid April (right after Songkran) with enough money in your pocket to last till payday at the end of May and the chances of employment are about 100%.

Google "ajarn" (Thai for teacher) for the other job listing site.

jrizbriz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply suphanburi. When you say 'piece work' what do you mean?
suphanburi

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jrizbriz wrote:
Thanks for your reply suphanburi. When you say 'piece work' what do you mean?

Inconsistent, hourly work (1-10 hours per week) at 250-400 baht/hour with no visa, work permit or benefits.

As compared to a regular contract with non-b visa, work permit, 30-40k per month and possibly some benefits like housing or medical.

EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To The OP,

My advice is to advertise your teaching services in the Bangkok Post and The Nation Newspapers BEFORE you come...sure you will get a lot of responses and offers...I did this some time ago...and was flooded with job offers throughout the Land of Smiles..including Kanchanaburi!! Good luck! Smile Smile Smile
jrizbriz

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To EFL Educator,

Thank you for your advice Very Happy! How would I go about advertising my teaching services in the Bangkok Post and the Nation Newspapers? Which newspapers do you mean?
jrizbriz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
To The OP,

My advice is to advertise your teaching services in the Bangkok Post and The Nation Newspapers BEFORE you come...sure you will get a lot of responses and offers...I did this some time ago...and was flooded with job offers throughout the Land of Smiles..including Kanchanaburi!! Good luck! Smile Smile Smile

To EFL Educator,

Thank you for your advice Very Happy! How would I go about advertising my teaching services in the Bangkok Post and the Nation Newspapers? Which newspapers do you mean?
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the two most popular English language daily newspapers here in the Land of SMILES...just contact them directly they both have websites and register with them to post your teaching services. I did this years ago and received well over 100 job offers from schools, companies and privates. I was so busy with teaching work then for years I didn't even have time for a vacation. Stay away from the TEFL websites here in Thailand. they get thousands of hits from job seekers daily....and you will be very luck to even get a reply! Good luck Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
jrizbriz

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL Educator wrote:
These are the two most popular English language daily newspapers here in the Land of SMILES...just contact them directly they both have websites and register with them to post your teaching services. I did this years ago and received well over 100 job offers from schools, companies and privates. I was so busy with teaching work then for years I didn't even have time for a vacation. Stay away from the TEFL websites here in Thailand. they get thousands of hits from job seekers daily....and you will be very luck to even get a reply! Good luck Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Ok I shall do that! Thank you very much for your advice! Very Happy
plumpy nut

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finding work beforehand in Thailand. Laughing It's possible, but anyone experienced with Thailand knows they are unlikely to pay your airfare or buy you a ticket. They just find your credentials agreeable that's all and will keep you if you work out as a teacher. Nothing else. Laughing Laughing When coming to Thailand make sure you have enough money to go back to your own country and become re-established.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plumpy nut wrote:
make sure you have enough money to go back to your own country and become re-established.

I have met young TEFL teachers who wanted to get out of Thailand. However, they could not afford the air fair to get back home.

Instead, they were trying to get a job in Korea where the schools would pay for their air fare from Thailand to Korea.

That was their only hope. They were living month-to-month. they just could not earn enough o travel internationally.

You really need to have a slush fund set aside to get yourself out of the country if things go bad or you want out. Keep the money aside for your exit strategy. The salaries are just not high enough in many cases to afford international travel.
EFL Educator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One can enjoy one's travel in the Land of Smiles earning Thai TEFL wages... Shocked :
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: