Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No Replies from I Can Read

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore
View previous topic :: View next topic  
singaporehabib

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: No Replies from I Can Read Reply with quote

Hi! I'm new to this forum and want to thank you all for your insights with regards to working in Singapore. I am hoping someone out there may be able to help me with a curious question I have.

Firstly, a little about me. I'm a Singapore PR (Australian born and bred) and CELTA qualified with approximately 3 years of teaching under my belt. However, for the last several years I have been working in the corporate arena but now want to go back to teaching as I embark on the next phase of my life (impending marriage and domestic life).

This is where my question comes in. I have applied to I Can Read as I thought it a perfect vehicle whilst studying for a certificate in teaching children Speech and Drama. However, I have not received any response. I re-sent my application after calling their head office in Bedok and being told that perhaps they've lost my email. Still no reply. I then spoke with a lady from one of their branches and she gave me the email of the HR head. Again, no response. I'm curious as I continually see that they're advertising for teachers and here I am, a Singapore PR who is more than willing, great with children and I speak with very clear diction (former radio and broadcast training).

Is this lack of response normal? I'd understand if they didn't advertise so often but surely with the number of adverts I see, they must be looking looking for more than one teacher.

I'm perplexed and just wanted to see if anyone could shed some light.

Thanking you in advance!
singaporehabib

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I never did hear from I Can Read and am not particularly worried as I have found myself a great job teaching English which I've been enjoying these last few weeks. I'm still a tad curious as to why ICR never responded but life's too short to give it too much thought!

I'll still visit these forums as I'd love to assist wherever possible. Singapore is a great place to live and work so if you have any questions, feel free to contact me.
water rat

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not interested in you because you have PR. They prefer to fire their teachers just prior to the end of their three-month probation. It saves them money. With PR, you have some rights and cannot simply be shipped out. You said you read the threads here. Many of them talk about just what I am saying. Have another look. Also, it isn't likely you would have time to pursue your studies or even be happily married with the dog hours. I also disagree that Singapore is a great place to live and work, it's oppressive, tenses and money-grubbing.
singaporehabib

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Water Rat for your response. I did think that but the weird thing is, I actually applied a couple of years ago as well when I didn't have PR. Maybe they just don't like me Laughing I also saw somewhere that they do take on casual/part-time staff hence why I thought it would be great with my studies etc as I realise the full-time hours do sound onerous.

As for working in Singapore, I guess it depends on what work you get. I was working for a language institute attached to a university when I first moved here and the hours and pay were fabulous. I only left as I was offered something more lucrative in the corporate arena which was definitely tougher than anything I'd done in Australia! But the connections and experience were invaluable and I could afford a decent place to live and have a nice life. Having said that, teaching as a career can offer so much more in terms of satisfaction and flexibility which I'm now enjoying, although the pay is somewhat lower.
Krakatoa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:35 pm    Post subject: ICR Reply with quote

The simple fact is they are not interested in you as you have experience they do not want. Besides this you are not maleable (you may resist being bent / moulded to do their will therefore they may have problems with you.)

Do not worry about them and if you have read the threads on this school (?) you will soon realise that you have missed nothing.

Remember the old saying:- "A leopard can not change its spots."
singaporehabib

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Krakatoa. I fully agree with you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Singapore All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: