Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Robbed in Mexico City
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mtiz

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:59 pm    Post subject: Getting Robbed in Mexico City Reply with quote

I'm a (fairly) young female from the States, working in Mexico City. I've been here almost ten months teaching English. I've been robbed at gunpoint twice. I'm seriously so tired of being scared to death by robberies, also with losing money/cellphones constantly. I'm honestly so fed up with the city.

My husband is Mexican so I'm pretty much here for good so I've got to find a solution. We have spent a lot of time in other parts of Mexico and Central America and have never been robbed until here. Where can we go that is safer? Or is Mexico just doomed to be a haven for crime forever? I feel like peseros/combis = dangerous, taxis = dangerous, walking = dangerous, even owning your own car = dangerous. I am emotionally and physically exhausted from being scared all the time.

Have you experienced this in Mexico City or a different city? Do you think I am targeted because I am a foreigner or is this a similar experience for locals? Are there places that are technically "safer" than the DF? Please share your experiences/advice.
notamiss

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the evidence I’ve seen suggests that in general you are not targeted for being a foreigner, and that it’s the same or worse for locals. But who knows? Even if the above is true in general, in any one particular instance, your being a foreigner may have made a difference – someone would have to ask the perpetrators to know for sure.
Further, if being a foreigner had any positive effect on other occasions, you’d never know, since they would have passed you by.
In 17 years in Mexico City, I haven’t had any of your bad experiences. I am sorry that this happened to you, and I can imagine that it is very traumatizing. Probably there are better and worse areas, but again, who knows? The one time I was mugged (no weapon visible), it was on the sidewalk of a busy, open avenue at midday, a few blocks from my home.
Rose Cohen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mtiz, I'm so sorry to hear about your traumatic experiences in Mexico City. Though I haven't lived here as long as notamiss (I moved here permanently in 2007), nothing like that has happened to me either. Since I'm semi-retired, no doubt I don't run around the city as much as you do, which may help to keep me safe, but I do take public transportation when I leave my neighborhood near El Angel to go to the Centro Histórico or other parts of the city. I doubt that being a foreigner has much to do with why you were targeted by the creeps who held you up. In fact, how would they know you were a foreigner in the first place? Mexicans do come in all sorts of shapes, sizes and colors, especially in Mexico City. Wink
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting Robbed in Mexico City Reply with quote

mtiz wrote:
I'm a (fairly) young female from the States, working in Mexico City. I've been here almost ten months teaching English. I've been robbed at gunpoint twice. I'm seriously so tired of being scared to death by robberies, also with losing money/cellphones constantly. I'm honestly so fed up with the city.

My husband is Mexican so I'm pretty much here for good so I've got to find a solution. We have spent a lot of time in other parts of Mexico and Central America and have never been robbed until here. Where can we go that is safer? Or is Mexico just doomed to be a haven for crime forever? I feel like peseros/combis = dangerous, taxis = dangerous, walking = dangerous, even owning your own car = dangerous. I am emotionally and physically exhausted from being scared all the time.

Have you experienced this in Mexico City or a different city? Do you think I am targeted because I am a foreigner or is this a similar experience for locals? Are there places that are technically "safer" than the DF? Please share your experiences/advice.

Mexico City is a very dangerous place to be. Nowhere is truly safe. Kidnappings and armed robbery are the norm. Corrupt cops can't be trusted either.

I saw 3 armed robberies happen in front of me within six months and every single Mexican friend or adult student told me tales of being robbed, pick-pocketed and even kidnapped.

As a (I presume white) female you are even more of a target. All you can do is try and reduce your chances of being a target or relocate to a "safer" area of Mexico.
Rose Cohen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Re: Getting Robbed in Mexico City Reply with quote

Prof.Gringo wrote:
mtiz wrote:

Mexico City is a very dangerous place to be. Nowhere is truly safe. Kidnappings and armed robbery are the norm. Corrupt cops can't be trusted either.

I saw 3 armed robberies happen in front of me within six months and every single Mexican friend or adult student told me tales of being robbed, pick-pocketed and even kidnapped.

As a (I presume white) female you are even more of a target. All you can do is try and reduce your chances of being a target or relocate to a "safer" area of Mexico.

Stuff and nonsense, Prof. Gringo!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Mexico City for many years and never had that experience either. I was pickpocketed in the Metro once, and pickpocketed while walking down the street once. Ironically, both times were in trendy or safe areas. I used the Metro daily, as well as micros and taxis. Towards the end of living in Mexico City I did quit taking micros and used the Metrobus a lot more and taxis from sitios. I always felt safer in my own neighborhood because I felt like I had people I could turn to, places to run in case of a problem. Some things you might want to consider - don't take a purse with you when you go out, I think that is seen as an attractive, easy target. Just take what you are going to use/spend in your pants pockets, if possible, or a small travel kind of purse that you can tuck into your shirt. A lot of neighborhoods that are considered trendy/safe really aren't. Almost all the most popular areas were on Chilango magazine's list of most dangerous areas. If moving out of DF is an option do your homework, we moved to the state of Zacatecas a couple of years ago to a very (then) quiet and peaceful area that is now on the edge of more dangerous areas, and will, more likely than not, soon spill over to where we live now. We have actually considered moving BACK to Mexico City for safety reasons, though things look as quiet and peace here as ever. So sorry you have had such scary experiences, I don't blame you for being scared.
notamiss

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
… we moved to the state of Zacatecas a couple of years ago to a very (then) quiet and peaceful area that is now on the edge of more dangerous areas, and will, more likely than not, soon spill over to where we live now. We have actually considered moving BACK to Mexico City for safety reasons, though things look as quiet and peace here as ever.
Sorry to hear that – what bad news!
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notamiss wrote:
BadBeagleBad wrote:
… we moved to the state of Zacatecas a couple of years ago to a very (then) quiet and peaceful area that is now on the edge of more dangerous areas, and will, more likely than not, soon spill over to where we live now. We have actually considered moving BACK to Mexico City for safety reasons, though things look as quiet and peace here as ever.

Yeah, it sucks. Of our police force of 25, 17 were just fired for not passing the "pruebas de confianza" and 2 were reassigned for "undisclosed" reasons. Right now we have state police here, who are clueless and gestapo like in their enforcement of petty "laws" - things that have commonly been accepted here for years and years - street vendors, short term double parking to unload, etc. On the surface things look the same, but we are two hours from Torreon and two hours from Durango, where things are progressively getting worse, and those two portions of the highway are in the news almost daily. So far, going south to Zacatecas or Fresnillo is OK, but who knows how long that will last. Things have changed drastically in the area in the last year. Such is life. Maybe we will move to Queretaro! haha Or Puebla.
Rose Cohen

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
notamiss wrote:
BadBeagleBad wrote:

Yeah, it sucks. Of our police force of 25, 17 were just fired for not passing the "pruebas de confianza" and 2 were reassigned for "undisclosed" reasons. Right now we have state police here, who are clueless and gestapo like in their enforcement of petty "laws" - things that have commonly been accepted here for years and years - street vendors, short term double parking to unload, etc. On the surface things look the same, but we are two hours from Torreon and two hours from Durango, where things are progressively getting worse, and those two portions of the highway are in the news almost daily. So far, going south to Zacatecas or Fresnillo is OK, but who knows how long that will last. Things have changed drastically in the area in the last year. Such is life. Maybe we will move to Queretaro! haha Or Puebla.

That is bad news! I know how excited you were when you finally finished building your house in Zacatecas State and were able to move out of the DF. On the other hand, if you end up moving to Querétaro or Puebla, you might find yourself with an occasional weekend houseguest, namely me!
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Getting Robbed in Mexico City Reply with quote

Rose Cohen wrote:
Prof.Gringo wrote:
mtiz wrote:

Stuff and nonsense, Prof. Gringo!

Non-sense???

The OP said she has been ROBBED at GUN_POINT-TWICE!!!

Has had money AND Cell phones-STOLEN,

Non-sense?

So the three armed robberies I saw were all non-sense too?

Sure they were "Rose Cohen", sure Rolling Eyes

Saw a man being robbed, near the "Plaza de las Tres Culturas", 3 thugs were robbing him, one had a knife to his throat, while the other took his wallet, phone, watch etc. I was in my car, and unarmed.

Second time, 2 thugs had just robbed people on a city bus in broad daylight, and they went running past me, trying to escape, as a local Mexican cop had no car, he commandered one to give chase, also several of the passengers on the bus gave chase, and I had to walk the same way, as I was going, I found about $7,000 MXN Pesos, which the perps had stolen, I picked up all the loose cash from the sidewalk, and I came upon the thugs being detained and beaten by a crowd of bystanders, the cops also arrived about the same time, and urged the crowd to continue to beat the suspects, before the police could take them into custody, then the police continued to beat the suspects, with their clubs, saw one cop stomp on one guys head with his boots etc. I found who had been robbed, confirmed the amount and returned the money, heck, they even gave a whole $100 pesos for being honest. I returned 700 bucks and the guy gave me 10... Jajaja Razz

And the 3rd time, just finished a private class in a semi-industrial area, and a man was robbed at an ATM. 3 thugs were involved, and he was screaming for help... I asked one of my Ss, who I knew had a Mexican Fed. gun permit if he had any weapons, but he answered in the negative, because in Mexico, even with a gun permit, you can't even take the guns outside with you. If either of us had been armed, there would have been a very different outcome.

You want MORE?

Ss, his father was robbed by the police, express kidnapping.

Ss, robbed with a gun to her head & car-jacked, leaving the bank at 08:25AM, she said the PBI officers with their sub-machine guns arrived to their post at 0830. The robber knew he still had 5 mins before the guards arrived.

Female friend, a tourist, she took a taxi on the street. She was robbed and sexually assaulted.

Ex-girlfriend, pick-pocketed on the subway.

American friend, with his Mexican wife, she was 6 months pregnant, they came in from Salt Lake to visit her family, took an "authorized" taxi from the airport, robbed at gun-point, lost everything- Wedding rings, money, cards, passports, etc.

Now somebody will say how Mexico's crime stats aren't all that bad... Sure when up to 92% of all crimes go un-reported in the first place, it sure makes those stats sound better!

Let me link you to it:

http://www.insightcrime.org/news-briefs/crimes-mexico-unreported-inegi

Anybody who says that Mexico, esp. Mexico City is "safe" is spreading lies and misinfo.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Getting Robbed in Mexico City Reply with quote

mtiz wrote:

Sorry you've had such a rough time in Mexico City.

There are no "safe" places in Mexico City, as you seem aware. Beyond the tips about not carrying money/ATM card/Credit cards/Nice phone, and your personal dress, it's a roll of the dice everytime you go outside.

Check out some other cities: Puebla, Cuenavaca, Toluca, Queretaro, SLP etc. Of course, there isn't nearly as much work or "culture" in those places but safety is prob better than the DF.

From a thread I posted that became a "Sticky":

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=86629

Here are some basic precautions in regards to safety and security.

Currency/Money

I believe that the safest way to carry cash, even safer then a credit/debit card is in the form of American Express travelers checks. Yes, they are a little harder to use, but they are much safer and more secure then cards. If you lose your card its going to take a while to get a new one, and that is going to be much more difficult or impossible in Mexico from a foreign bank. Don't leave home without it.

Never leave the house/apartment/hotel with more than you are willing to lose. Because of robberies, pick-pockets, and other assorted problems like corrupt cops, don't take more than you are willing to lose with you. I always leave my important ID's and take only a Mexican drivers license and enough cash for the day.

If you are in the Metro system, stay alert, don't let people shove and push you. Keep your wallet in your front pants pocket and keep your hand on it. Thieves will move on to an easier victim.

Kidnapping

Mexico is said to be the kidnapping capital of the world. This seems to rarely happen to foreign teachers here. Still, basic safety precautions should be taken. Don't carry credit/bank cards which can make you a target of an express kidnapping. Always use ATM's in a place where you feel safe, inside of a mall or store is often best. Beware of people lurking and watching for targets near ATM's.

Rip-offs

Always ask for the price before buying, trying or doing anything, especially in tourist areas. If you are in doubt, just put it back or say NO! There are many scams where locals try to rip-off tourists by charging an inflated price or even saying one thing and then changing the price after you have made a commitment. Be especially careful of an establishment that offers to allow you to run a tab. Refuse and pay for all items as they are ordered. Padding the bill in a bar or night club is a common way of getting ripped off. Better yet, don't drink and save yourself money and problems.

Taxis

Most taxis are safe and operated by people just trying to make an honest living. That being said, there have been untold numbers of crimes committed by taxi drivers and by others against people that got into the wrong cab. Be safe. Check the cab for the proper license, numbers, drivers taxi license/ID card (displayed in the window), and other signs of a legit cab. If a taxi has a meter ask the driver to turn it on as soon as you start to get into the cab. If he says it doesn't work, immediately exit the taxi. "Sitio" taxis are safer, because they are dispatched by a taxi stand and they record the taxi info. Public transit is usually the safest means of transportation because of the public nature of it.

Corruption

Paying a "mordida" or a bribe is a way of life in Mexico. Never offer to pay a bribe outright to a cop or public official. Always ask if there is "some other way" or if you can "pay an on the spot fine". You don't have to pay a bribe. You can refuse. Depending on the situation and if a crime was really committed, the police may just let you go, write you a ticket or take you to jail. Paying a mordida is often the best way to go.

Dress

Mexicans tend to dress conservative. If you want to blend in and avoid standing out so much dress like the locals do.

For men: a shirt with a collar, with a pair of pants (NOT shorts) and leather shoes will do the trick.

For women: Either a dress or skirt below the knee or pants (preferred if you don't want extra Wink attention) and a blouse/shirt with sleeves of some kind. UPDATE: Go for a pant-suit, best to avoid unwanted "attention" from the "macho" men.

Food

Most of the places you might choose to eat are just fine. Do be aware that sanitation and hygiene standards are usually not on a par with back home. Use common sense and wash your hands. Remember, if the place you choose to eat doesn't have a place for you to wash your hands, the employees don't either!

Public Bathrooms
Finding a clean, decent bathroom can be a challenge. Sanborn's has the best ones. They are free, although it's expected to give a tip to the attendant (it's worth it).

Extra Tips:
Safety and violence are always something that will be debated about.
In Mexico City I don't usually feel unsafe. But I keep aware of my surroundings. I don't give off an air of "oh, I'm such a nice guy, let's be amigos". Nope. I have my war-face on in the Metro, for example and I keep my hand on my wallet. I also know the pick-pockets and street scum are going to see that and pass me by for easier pickings. Don't lug a copy of LP Mexico around with you and a camera around your neck while gawking at every vocho (VW bug) that passes by.

Trust your gut. If something feels like a bad place or feels unsafe, it probably is. Millions of years of evolution at work there.

What has people worried (My opinion) are the seemingly random shoot-outs and battles between narcos, police and the army. Again, a lot of that depends on where you are. I've yet to see any of that in Mexico City, except for the military convoys on the highways. But those (the convoys) are going somewhere either on a training mission or a real-op, but not in Mexico City it seems.

I've witnessed several robberies in broad daylight, 3 thugs robbing a guy on the side of a very busy central road with a knife to his throat...
Many of the street robberies happen when somebody withdraws cash from an isolated bank, esp. in industrial areas and after hours. Much better to do so in a commercial shopping plaza. Even better if there are 2-3 police (PBI in DF) standing out front with sub-machine guns. Use some common sense here.

Don't withdraw large amounts of cash from the bank. If you do, be careful. Many times a spotter will work the bank inside and then send a signal to his buddies outside to intercept somebody that has just made a large withdraw (that's why cellphone use is banned in banks).

Most crimes are not planned, but are crimes of opportunity. Don't give criminals opportunity and they will pass you by.

Small things can have a big impact. If you're really worried about getting mugged, buy some pepper spray, a kubotan works well (it's what I carry), and don't carry much of anything on you.

And yes, crossing the street is the most common way to get seriously injured or killed! Cars will hit you and just keep going.

Never carry a laptop in public, if you need to, use a backpack, not a laptop case.

Try to blend in. Kinda hard if you have blond hair, but it's still better than standing out even more.

Just stay aware of who and what is around you. Cool
MotherF

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found that blending has more to do with how you move and the styles you wear than the color of your hair.
Many of my Mexican friends have been pickpockeded or mugged, or express kidnapped in Mexico city. They are easy to spot as "provincials" and targeted.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rose Cohen wrote:

That is bad news! I know how excited you were when you finally finished building your house in Zacatecas State and were able to move out of the DF. On the other hand, if you end up moving to Querétaro or Puebla, you might find yourself with an occasional weekend houseguest, namely me!

The funny this is, we have three bedrooms, specifically so we could have people come and visit. The weather here is nice most of the year, there are a few relaxing things to do, the regional fair in November is fun and interesting - but so far, not a single visitor. Who knows what will happen long term, but I guess we are just going to be here for the long term, our apartment in DF is rented out, and after have a house with a big patio and a huge back lot, I am not fond of the idea of moving back to DF.
Rose Cohen

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
Rose Cohen wrote:

The funny this is, we have three bedrooms, specifically so we could have people come and visit. The weather here is nice most of the year, there are a few relaxing things to do, the regional fair in November is fun and interesting - but so far, not a single visitor. Who knows what will happen long term, but I guess we are just going to be here for the long term, our apartment in DF is rented out, and after have a house with a big patio and a huge back lot, I am not fond of the idea of moving back to DF.

In my case, Zacatecas is a bit too far to go for the weekend, especially if I went by bus, a really long ride from Mexico City.
hobo6

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the OP hasn't even returned, so who knows if these posts are a waste of time. But I agree with the post a few above about how you look when you go outside. That was going to be my first question - just exactly what do you look like when you go out on the street? I lived here for 2 years between 2008-2010, 5 months in 2012 and now I'm back again and going on month 7. Nothing bad has happened to me in MC. During my first 2 times here, I took the metro daily going to my students. This time around, due to bad knees, I try to stay out of the metro stations, but I still take them almost every day. I take the metrobus, and a couple of times a week, the micros.

Like Beagle, my students have told me first and second hand stories of being robbed by individuals or the police. If they're first hand stories, I believe them. I know that perhaps I've been lucky and I don't doubt that at some point, my time will come up and I'll be robbed. Honestly, I don't know how I'll react when it happens, because I'm a tough chick, but I've never had a gun or knife put to my face.

As for me, I'm in my early 40's, and walk the way my personality is - with confidence and a don't F with me attitude. I almost never take taxis (in any country due to the crazy drivers), and my only serious precaution here in DF is not to take micros at night due to the increased probability of being robbed (I've had enough students tell me stories about this). But I'm a tourist on Sundays and sometimes during the week and I look like a foreigner due to my clothes - sports sandals, Chinese foldable hat, small "purse" made by the indigenous, sunglasses and if it's warm out (not much this year), shorts. So if anything, I have a big X written all over me for them to come and get me.

Predators (if they aren't high) always know what type of people to go after just by looking at them from a distance. I have a difficult time that you've been robbed twice in such a short amount of time, so I would like to know how you're dressed and how you walk when you're out and about. It just doesn't make sense. Perhaps the perpetrators know you or know a person who knows you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: