Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary vs cost of living
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caesar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The TEFL-Prague team have extensive experience btw

You call 3 years extensive?

OK, you're not a recruiter - you're just lame enough to believe what TEFL Prague Shoveled into your brain. Their website is full of marketing cliches and misinformation - all to get your money.

I don't think anyone's frustrated, Cull. Maybe YOU are and that's why that word seems to pop up in your mind. I'm sure YOU are starting to be a bit frustrated because the "goldmine" TEFL Prague promised you isn't panning out.

You see, I came here for the social life. How could I possibly be frustrated here? But, hey, keep on believeing that teaching in Prague is a goldmine and anyone who disagrees is frustrated. Keep on believeing that and maybe you'll convince yourself one day.
Cull

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh dear.
I thought this forum would be a good place for potential and existing teachers to post and reply to tips but as I can see it is simply a rant.
I'm done.
The ranters win.
I wanted to add positive posts but the ranters just want to rant.
What a shame Embarassed

Goodbye all and good luck with this forum Cool .

You're gonna need it with these ranters Exclamation
matmac

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cull,

i repeat - you are smoking crack. stop trolling and pointing the finger at everyone else. your posts are asinine and based on bad info. but thats cool.

see ya
Cull

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm continuing this thread on the TEFL Prague forum under PRAGUE CAFE. I've had it with this one. I can only say that the people who have replied are the type who pay 110Kc for a beer and gawp in awe when they see it for 65Kc. (In Zizkov you can get it for 12Kc).
I wonder why the posters here are generally debils??????
Tak jo, nashledanou a dobrou noc. Mej te se hezky Razz
Btw, I have been in Prague for 8 years. I only decided to go into teaching qualified last year and previous to that I wagged it in my lessons. I know Prague inside out and know that the average post on this forum is a pile of cr-p.
The ones who were supportive: thanks.
The ones who were debils: thanks Rolling Eyes
Aramas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I don't check the thread for a while and this happens! Shocked

The evangelical 'Cull' certainly has a talent for calling the kettle black. I hope he was at least being sincere about leaving this forum. Why would anyone do a generic TEFL course when they could do a reasonably priced CELTA? If I end up going there (it's in my top 3) I'll be starting with a CELTA at Akcent IH.

To the others that posted, thanks for the information. It's quite helpful.
merlin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aramas said,
Quote:
I'll be starting with a CELTA at Akcent IH

I have no first hand knowleged of that program but It seems a reasonably good choice. Masaryk University in Brno also has a reputable CELTA program, supported by a univeristy and accredited by the same world-recognized RSA-now-CELTA and Cambridge Univeristy.

Newbies & such:
Don't pay for overpriced but essentially worthless "International TEFL Certificates". The real thing will cost you just about the same amount of money.

Last edited by merlin on Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Aramas

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I checked out the Brno course a while ago and rather than using the standard 4 week format, they do it part time over 15 weeks.

It costs 45000 kr ($1800USD) which is a few hundred dollars above the norm. They also offer a 90000 kr package that includes accommodation, discount meals and Czech language and history lessons over the 15 week semester - not bad for the money, imo, although perhaps best suited to the 'soft option' exchange students that clutter up my local uni here in north Queensland - They don't learn much, but they seem to enjoy diving on the reef Smile

It's certainly an option worth consideration.
merlin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's some interesting information, Aramas. I think you're right about the accomodation package - it's the "soft option" for people with a lot of money and three months to spare, probably over the summer. That's probably where they make their profit - in the services around the central product. 90000 breaks down to about 6000 per kc week, 200 USD +/-.
Fledermaus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add my two bits worth...

Hmmm, Ho Chi Minh City more expensive than Prague? What would Uncle Ho have to say about that, I wonder? Wink

This thread is very interesting, to say the least. It's also likely to generate a lot of heated debate between expats, or expats and Czechs. I myself have debated the point with a few people in my time here.

In any case, I find it AWFULLY hard to believe that Prague is the 49th most expensive city in the world. It is certainly very easy to spend away all your money if you're not careful, as you can be easily lured by lower prices in most cases. However, I think that for the basic necessities (food, toiletries, household sundries, etc.), Prague is no more expensive than most places in the US, and in many cases, cheaper. Regardless of what anyone says, fresh fruits and vegetables are cheaper here because the Czech Republic has a greater range of choices on the market of European providers and isn't squeezed so much by the mafia-like agribusinesses who very often dictate prices in the States.

What criteria was used for this survey, anyway? I quote here:

"The index is based on cost of living expressed in US dollars. Therefore, if the dollar weakens against the local currency of a city, the city becomes more expensive and moves up the index, even if prices expressed in local currency remain the same or even go down...The information is used by governments and major companies to protect the purchasing power of their employees when transferred abroad. The choice of cities surveyed is based on the demand for corresponding data from companies and government organisations."

OK, fine. But what sort of things was this survey looking at? Naturally, if you live in the center of any of these cities (or any big city, period), you're going to pay significantly more money for rent. What living standards does it take into account? Those suited for executives and high officials (as the quote above seems to suggest)? Accomodations and facilities for those people are always going to cost more money, especially since they involve flats/houses that have been renovated according to an upper-middle class American lifestyle.

What some of you have stated here is true enough. Teachers' salaries are almost universally bad. The schools don't pay very well. But there are a few things that I differ with. I, for one, live better overall here than I did at any time in the States. I have a bigger flat than I ever did (true, I have to share it with one other person, but it's still more space than I've ever had). My purchasing power ratio - salary to prices for necessities - is greater here than it was in the States. True enough, I can't buy quite as many extras, but then again, what do I need them for anyway? I've reached a point in my life where having fewer, not more, "trinkets" of dubious value is welcome. Makes moving and storage a thousand times easier. Cool

Anyway, seems to me that this is an entirely solvable problem, in any event. Not making enough money? Get private students. It's a great way to pick up quick money for your groceries, saving your school salary for rent payments. And at any given moment, there are always many, many people willing to pay a native for private instruction or practice. Schools not paying you enough? First, don't work for anyone who's not paying a minimum of 225Kc per 45-minute lesson; it just ain't worth it otherwise. Second, consider getting a business license (zivnostensky list) and striking out on your own. You'll make more money than you would at the schools and yet charge your clients less than the schools would.

The fact is, it's not too difficult to get 20,000Kc per month. You just have to be willing to work the hours, be willing to live somewhere away from the center and take it a little easy on spending. This seems pretty obvious, but some people that I know still haven't gotten this message (not including present company). Smile
merlin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First, don't work for anyone who's not paying a minimum of 225Kc per 45-minute lesson; it just ain't worth it otherwise.

This I agree with. With that you can make 20,000 - 25,000 crowns per month ($1,000 US) This is almost twice that in the original post ($500-$600) and the minimum one should expect for a reasonably well-prepared lesson. Anything less is exploitation.

Quote:
Second, consider getting a business license (zivnostensky list) and striking out on your own. You'll make more money than you would at the schools and yet charge your clients less than the schools would.

This I agree with, but with qualifications. It's a bit less clear-cut. First, the government seems to be anti-small business and keep tryig to pass a minimum tax on small businesses. This would be a disaster for teachers using it as an income supplement. You might end up paying taxes as if you were a using it full-time. For extra income I have an SRO (Ltd.) which doesn't pay a minimum tax but it's always looming over my head. Then there is the lawyer and accountant I have to pay. When the laws changed in 2001 I had to pay a lawyer 12,000 crowns to sort everything all out. I had to pay my accountant 8,000 crowns last year on a business that grossed 50,000.

Well, get a business license if you can, but remember not to count your gold in the mine until it's in the vault.
Fledermaus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very true. I'm going through issues of my own with regard to the whole business license thing. I'm currently waiting on my visa in order to get the license, but the Czech government's seeming ineptitude about how to treat the small business owner has struck me in a big way. In light of this, I should say that, if you want to get a business license, you should really do so if you are going to totally strike out on your own and you have potential client firms lined up beforehand. There is a minimum tax, as Merlin states, along with other administrative hassles. I think it's worth it in my case, but I know that's not true for everyone. I would advise anyone to get the facts (all of them) on this, then consider whether it's the right choice for you.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread has grown a slant that's really more useful for those teachers who have already been in the CZ for a while and are ready to make a commitment to the country, in terms of investing both time and a certain amount of money into making legal arrangements.
It would be pretty difficult to accomplish any of these things without some Czech friends to help one through, and preferably some functional Czech language yourself.
For those who are wondering about the basics, like "can I move to Prague, teach, and live fairly well?" the answers are also fairly basic, in my opinion.
A new (or experienced) teacher can move to Prague and live reasonably well, so long as his or her expectations are more focused on the experience than on luxuries.
Later on, if you find that the Czech Republic is where you really want to be, you'll find the connections to make improvements and changes in your job situation. Like everywhere, it really takes a certain amount of local knowledge.
Aramas

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just thought I'd make a note in here that Masyaryk University in Brno have dropped their CELTA price from 45,000 Kc to 35,000 Kc (~$1440USD). I've also heard that they'll throw in all the cabbage you can eat Smile
Cull

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In light of Aramas' recent posts concerning the Caledonian School I feel I must point out that his/ her posts must be taken with a very imaginative grain of salt.

Here's thinking of you..........
Aramas

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if you feel you must Smile

Personally, I don't feel that I must do anything. However, I suspect that perhaps you might enjoy the company of a puppy? Regarding my posts pertaining to the Caledonia school, and more importantly your apparently appalling lack of comprehension of them, I suggest that you brush up on semantics. Your generic TEFL certificate may have even covered it briefly Cool

I assumed that you deliberately and flagrantly misrepresented what I wrote, as trolls are wont to do. However, if you're finding English comprehension to be problematic I can reccommend several good books on the subject. You owe it to your students to at least try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: