Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dealing with anger in VN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ExpatLuke

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VietCanada's answer to crime and death is just to shut up and ignore it because it won't change......... There's another reason why his career hasn't advanced in more than 10 years.
conoresl1984

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just left there last week after 2 years. anything to do with money in Saigon is like pulling teeth. Aggregation. Driving also. I would sometimes fantasize about lobbing bricks at taxi drivers behind me. They need to re evaluate the whole having kids culture. Maybe 1 child like China used to have. Sex ed taught in schools. The city is at bursting point already and then they reduce import tax on cars. Loads of small hatchbacks everywhere now clogging up bike lanes. Thailand offers free condoms I have heard. Other countries are trying to combat their problems where as in nam the ultra capitalism is destroying the place. The new subway will only serve people in district 2 and tourists going to the water park. The other lines (which are most needed) wont be finished for years. Ultra greed from the top down and no police force. I feel sorry for the locals who will never see another version of life outside Vietnam
cb400

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing to see this old thread back... brings back a lot of memories from when I wrote the OP. I've been back in Canada for the last 2 year (or just after I wrote it) and after a difficult adjustment back to 'normal' life, I really do appreciate what I have here.

I went back to Nam last year as I was missing the place, only for Vacation and ended up leaving early... just not the place for me and 7 days is all I could stand after 7 years of living there.

One warning for the long term expats there, is keep an eye on your breathing and health issues. I never smoked, stayed healthy and fit but I am still having to use a puffer before doing exercise..... a result of the pollution of VN and second hand smoke potentially.
jim_brava

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been in HCMC for 8 days, and this is my first visit to Vietnam after over a decade in Asia (mostly Malaysia, Thailand and Japan, with a bit of Singapore, Korea, Laos and China):

A: For the love of Christ, build some foot bridges over busy roads/intersections. I know Vietnam is a developing country, but they can't be that expensive.

B: I get that road/pavement surfaces and underground pipes/cables can't improve themselves, but is it necessary to dig up every road/pavement within the Bui Vien area at the same time?! You can barely walk anywhere without dodging the bucket of a digger or a big manhole"

C: "Marajuana? Hey you! Can I help you? Hey you!"

D: I almost got hit by a motorcycle from behind me that was going at a ridiculous speed, while I was walking on the pedestrian pavement.He then proceeded to yell back at me for almost causing the collision. You are literally not safe anywhere, and dodging all the roadworks makes it even worse.

I'm sorry Bangkok. All is forgiven...
sigmoid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you guys are quite right for complaining but these days Ha Noi and HCMC aren't your only options.

Although Da Nang is only one of the alternatives available, Expat Luke pretty much nailed it back on page 1:

ExpatLuke wrote:
Posted: Mon Dec 08, 2014 4:21 pm

I'd suggest moving to a city that isn't quite that bad. Danang is nice. People do drive on the sidewalks a bit, but it's nothing like in Saigon. In Danang the roads are much bigger and more modern, and locals often times actually use the sidewalks for walking. Crazy concept in Vietnam, I know.

I dunno, I like Saigon more than Hanoi, but Danang is the best in terms of relaxation and letting the anger drift away at the beach.

Anyway, it's that simple. Just pack up and get out of town...
DauntlessinDanang

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expat Luke wrote:
Quote:
An English "teacher" who can't even spell properly. You're an embarrassment to the profession.

Getting angry at another poster for expressing his opinion on a post about dealing with anger in Vietnam, classic!
Quote:
Get real. Just because we're pointing out some obvious problems Vietnam has, doesn't mean you need to come to its defense.

So it's your way or the highway, huh? This isn't Danang Expat Jobs buddy!

Expat Luke wrote:
Quote:
You sound like a fool.

Quote:
There's another reason why his career hasn't advanced in more than 10 years.

Aside from the herd mentality it's almost comical. Truth be told, the worst thing about living and teaching in Vietnam, hands down, is dealing with foreigners too big for their britches with big chips on their shoulders who get a big kick out of chastising their fellows while blaming the Vietnamese government and its people for what mostly amounts to their own shortcomings.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting thread here.

One thing though. This thread seems to be entirely about the ROAD? Very little else made anyone irritated?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: