Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mexican Equivalent of U-Haul?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:49 pm    Post subject: Mexican Equivalent of U-Haul? Reply with quote

Is there a Mexican equivalent of U-Haul? I'd like to rent a cargo van in the D.F. for my move to Queretaro.
hobo6

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might ask this on an expat site. They'd know better.
notamiss

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just guessing, but since labour is cheaper than in our home countries, you could probably arrange for a guy with a truck at a price that turns out as reasonable as a U-Haul would be back home.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hobo6 wrote:
You might ask this on an expat site. They'd know better.

Oh, I have done that also. I'm on City Data and Expat Forum.
MotherF

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I looked at the beginning of the year when I moved and got nothing. The closest elektra is a good place to find people with trucks for hire. A long distance move cost more than a u-haul in the us because gas is quite a bit more than it is in the us now.
We actually opted to buy new furniture rather than move some stuff.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
No I looked at the beginning of the year when I moved and got nothing. The closest elektra is a good place to find people with trucks for hire. A long distance move cost more than a u-haul in the us because gas is quite a bit more than it is in the us now.

Fortunately, I'm not moving any furniture; just clothing and miscellaneous belongings.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a mover in DF if you are interested. He moved us to Zacatecas from DF a couple of years ago - with a whole household worth of furniture and 5 dogs for about 700 dollars. We have known him for over 20 years, he is reliable and honest and won't overcharge you because you are not Mexican. I have referred many people to him over the years and everyone (Mexican and otherwise) has been very pleased. You can ride along in the moving truck with him and save a few more pesos. PM me if interested.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know a mover in DF if you are interested. He moved us to Zacatecas from DF a couple of years ago - with a whole household worth of furniture and 5 dogs for about 700 dollars. We have known him for over 20 years, he is reliable and honest and won't overcharge you because you are not Mexican. I have referred many people to him over the years and everyone (Mexican and otherwise) has been very pleased. You can ride along in the moving truck with him and save a few more pesos. PM me if interested.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2014 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzgerald wrote:
MotherF wrote:

Fortunately, I'm not moving any furniture; just clothing and miscellaneous belongings.

You might also just make two bus trips and take a big suitcase and a couple of boxes each time. Most bus lines are pretty flexible on the amount of luggage you can take. I went to Rio Grande yesterday, and there was a Mennonite family going to DF with a stunning number of boxes of cheese and didn't pay any extra for their boxes. Have never seen anyone charged for extra. I have travelled with 3 suitcases and a box, personally, and never had a problem. I do make sure to give a generous tip when they are loading the stuff, but don't know if that even matters.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:

Thanks! I lined up a similar deal. It looked like renting a large van would be too costly when everything was taken into account, so instead I've got a guy with a small truck coming tomorrow morning who will take me, my stuff, and my pets to Queretaro for 2,900 pesos. This seems like a very good deal to me.

In Queretaro, I've lined up a furnished, pet-friendly one-bedroom in the Centro Historico for 3,600 pesos / month. Now honestly, in the D.F. I don't know WHAT you could get for that price - Single Room Occupancy in a questionable part of town?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Fitzgerald"

In Queretaro, I've lined up a furnished, pet-friendly one-bedroom in the Centro Historico for 3,600 pesos / month. Now honestly, in the D.F. I don't know WHAT you could get for that price - Single Room Occupancy in a questionable part of town?[/quote]

In lots of parts of DF you can get a reasonable apartment for 3600, but it won't be too central. We rent our 1 bedroom apartment in a gated cerrado in Jardin Balbuena for 3200 and it's a decent area that now has loads of public transport - a lot of it just added in the last few years. But for a furnished apartment that will allow you to have pets, and in a central location, yeah, that is a steal, I think, just about anywhere. Sounds like you got a good deal on your move, hope it goes smoothly.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2014 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new apartment is not spectacular, shall we say, but the location is splendid, and I can make it work as a stopgap. I arrived in Queretaro yesterday, and I'm happy to be here. My pets - three cats, a ferret, and a large group of snails in a terrarium - all seem to be doing just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico (off-topic) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: