Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

getting QTS from Texas or Florida
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jm21

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: getting QTS from Texas or Florida Reply with quote

Welcheronymus wrote:
jm21 wrote:
The texas programs seem pretty nice and they have an option for doing one year of paid teaching to get certified, which is not a bad deal at all.

I'm a little bit confused about how the teacher ready program from Florida works though. They say the teaching can be done outside of Florida but will they let you do it outside America? Has anyone tried this? Previous posts seem to imply you can. If you can do it from China it seems like a helluva bang for your buck if you're interested in teaching k-12.

On the other hand a year or two of teaching in Texas wouldn't be bad and would really amp up the resume.

Are there other states with similar programs? I'm from Washington and it's much harder and much more expensive to get certified there. Not sure it would be worth it.

@JM21-
I started the TeacherReady program in the USA, working with a mentor teacher at an American middle school (I was working on English, grades 6-12). I did the observations, interviews, etc in an American classroom for the first few months of the program. I found it beneficial to see how things are done in the USA.

Mid way through the program i took a job teaching ESL at a high school in China. I was able to complete the remaining assignments in my classroom or interviewing and observing other teachers (at my school in China or by contacting teacher friends in the US to interview them).

The final part of the program involves observed teaching. For this, I had one of the assistant principals at my Chinese high school observe me and complete the documentation for this part of the program. As long as your Chinese observer is a certified teacher and has 3+ years of experience, their observations should be accepted by the state of Florida. Confirm that with the TeacherReady program co-ordinator, though.

I'm not a resident of Florida but I am now certified for English, grades 6-12, in that state. You don't have to go to Florida to take the certification tests (I didn't) and you probably can get the fingerprinting done out of state, too (I did mine in South Carolina, but that was 6 months ago and things may have changed). Again, inquire with the Florida Department of Education or TeacherReady on that.

All of this is based on my assumption you are a US resident. (You said you're from Washington, but your usage of QTS sounds British to me). If you are not a US citizen, then inquire with TR about how the program can or cannot benefit you as a non-citizen.

Hope that helps.

Helps immensely.

I am a USC. I was going to put the title as how to get a teaching cert, but dreaded a bunch of BS about TEFL, CELTA, DELTA, etc
crowding out the information I wanted.

Sounding like the FL one is probably the most practical if you're focused on staying in China. TX or the TFA program might be better for someone who wants a break or is thinking about moving back to the US.
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Praxis in Florida is (or was) more rigorous than in other states, but since certification is more or less transferable from state to state, a certification from Florida will probably put you at the head of the line if you apply for a job in another state.
Welcheronymus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: getting QTS from Texas or Florida Reply with quote

Quote:

Helps immensely.

I am a USC. I was going to put the title as how to get a teaching cert, but dreaded a bunch of BS about TEdidn't ELTA, DELTA, etc
crowding out the information I wanted.

Sounding like the FL one is probably the most practical if you're focused on staying in China. TX or the TFA program might be better for someone who wants a break or is thinking5 about moving back to the US.

I see where you're coming from on the thread title.

I did consider that Texas program, too. But i knew i wanted to teach overseas and didn't want to wait. And it was an extra step to find a job in Texas (IIRC). So the TeacherReady program was a good option for me since it can be completed outside the US. But I could see the Texas program would be beneficial for experience with an American curriculum and for a reference.
ben.detw

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@jm21

I just completed the TeacherReady program and will be heading to the Search associates job fair (Bangkok) in January. If you want to know more, send me a PM and we can talk on Skype.
buravirgil

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: getting QTS from Texas or Florida Reply with quote

Welcheronymus wrote:
I am a USC.
You're a Trojan?
Curiously rare initialism. Naturalized?

Bud P.? Are you a teacher Wink
Florida more rigorous than, say, CA or CO? Pfft.
In 2003, my cohort's scores were used to normalize a Praxis test for alternative certification.

So...the thread is an exploration of how stateside licensure might land a position in China? Mercenary, no? Kinda tail wags the dog, no?
Bud Powell

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: getting QTS from Texas or Florida Reply with quote

buravirgil wrote:
Welcheronymus wrote:
I am a USC.
You're a Trojan?
Curiously rare initialism. Naturalized?

Bud P.? Are you a teacher Wink
Florida more rigorous than, say, CA or CO? Pfft.
In 2003, my cohort's scores were used to normalize a Praxis test for alternative certification.

So...the thread is an exploration of how stateside licensure might land a position in China? Mercenary, no? Kinda tail wags the dog, no?

I cited Florida because jm21 cited Florida. Got it? Can you wrap your head around that?

I don't give a rat's hat about anything you say.

This forum doesn't need an ignore button. It needs a flush button.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to visit this thread: "Online US teaching certification courses"
http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=108919
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: