Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm from ?? and someday I will/won't return there for good.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Will you return to your home country long-term after TEFL?
Yes
35%
 35%  [ 14 ]
No
65%
 65%  [ 26 ]
Total Votes : 40

spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:31 pm    Post subject: I'm from ?? and someday I will/won't return there for good. Reply with quote

What country are you from, and will you return there long-term after TEFLING?

I left the US in 1998 and have no plans or reason to return. Will retire elsewhere, eventually.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the tense is wrong for me, but after having spent 22 years teaching EFL abroad (insert "broad" jokes here), I returned .

It's worked well for me.

Regards,
John
esl_prof

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no intention of ever returning to the U.S. when I left. After a decade-and-a-half abroad, I came home for a year to regroup while planning my next overseas adventure, started tutoring refugees and, six years later, it looks like I'm probably here to stay.
MotherF

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left the US in1995. At this point in time I have no plans to return, but I've learned enough in live to know that nature has a way of throwing a wrench in to carefully laid plans.
Shonai Ben

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left Canada in 1998.Been in Japan since then.No plans to return.Basically, I don't have anything to return to.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, my case is a bit different. Born in Mexico, lived in the US from 5 till 17, back to Mexico for a few years, then back to the US for 10, and back to Mexico since. No plans to live in the US, have made a life here, which is, I think, better than the life I would have had in the US.
rtm

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm another back-and-forth person: 10 years teaching EFL, then back to the US for 7 years, then abroad again for a couple years, and now back in the US for about a year. Not sure where I'll be in the future.
water rat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rtm wrote:
I'm another back-and-forth person: 10 years teaching EFL, then back to the US for 7 years, then abroad again for a couple years, and now back in the US for about a year. Not sure where I'll be in the future.
I voted 'yes', but I think you (Spiral) should wake Mr. Kanine-sushi from his cyber slumbers and ask that "don't know" and "don't know, but I certainly hope so" be added as poll options.
If you care to read more of my views and personal history, as well as that of a few other members on a similar subject - I just wrote a bit a few minutes ago here:

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?p=1187411#1187411

(Thank you)
peripatetic_soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Will you return to your home country???? Reply with quote

Temporarily, yes. I'll let you know after Medicare cranks out. I've visited Panama and Ecuador to explore retirement options. Imagine renting a 3-BR house with a garden and car port for $250 USD.
Health care seems to be better/more affordable in those countries, hence the reason so many ex-pats retire there. Of course, as you are aware as world travelers, there are tradeoffs. For me, the main ones are space to have a garden, a-c, and excellent health care at a low cost, none of which you can find in the U.S. unless you have amassed a generous pension. After teaching 5-7 more years, I will most probably retire in Central or South America, depending on the circumstances with respect to housing and health care. After all, who would have anticipated that petrol prices would be about $2.15 per gallon at this time in parts of the US? We know it's possible.
Happy Holidays,
PS
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mushkilla is gone. Please advise should he return under another aka.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went overseas in 1985 and didn't intend to come back. I returned in 2001 to dispose of my nicely appreciated piece of real estate and had moved my things back to store at my parents' home, and then my father passed away. It was soon clear that my mother was in the early stages of Dementia and would sooner rather than later be needing assistance. As an only child, who could afford to do so, I retired and stayed until she had passed this year. And now it would be too complicated to move.

Things don't always turn out as one would wish...

VS
sager

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: I'm from ?? and some day I will/won't return there for good Reply with quote

I left South Africa in 2001 and have no desire to return there.
MuscatGary

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left the UK in 1977 and went to Germany then Spain then Venezuela, two year in each. Went back to the UK and worked there until 1993. Got itchy feet again and went to Spain, India, France, Spain, Kuwait and Oman with spells off in Tenerife. Currently working all over the Gulf and no plans to ever return to the UK. Retirement is looming and Tenerife is home!
Halcyon Chimera

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left the US in 2012 and have no plans to ever return except maybe to visit. Nothing is there for me. This is only my third year teaching in China, but they've been vastly better than the two I taught in Alabama. I just turned 30 last month so I've got at least another 30 years to teach and save up for retirement to the beautiful beaches of the Philippines Very Happy
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Left the UK in 2005, thought I would be a TEFL lifer, but returned to the UK in 2014 to do a Master's in a subject not related to EFL or education at all. Not ruling out becoming an expat again in the future, but it will not be as a teacher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: