Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

questions, answer needed pls help
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SiameseCat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:39 am    Post subject: questions, answer needed pls help Reply with quote

Hello everybody Smile

Hi - Hi , I have read a lot here for a month, loads of info and i really enjoy it ,but my case is a bit different. I really need some advice from you guys who have experiences in the gulf.

It's not me who will teach, but I ask for my American husband who now teaches in Chinese university in China ( ok, we live here LOL) We have been here for 3 years ( in China, you know, it drives us crazy enough ) and we are thinking to move on - to the middle east! to dig in the sand! to the black seaaaaaa

We think about Oman, since it's not ultra super extreme religious like Saudi Arabia - my hubby will finish his MA TESOL degree ( from the university in the US,his hometown,distant program) in Dec2015 - but we do not want to wait until then and think to go ahead and apply for AUG/SEP2015 semester with

1. BA in social science
2 with experiences : 3 yrs teaching in University level in China,1 yr teaching kid at school in Thailand ,no experience YET in Middle East Sad but hey, we are flexible like lizards! we love to explore new culture, we have loads of energy (Me,35 and He is 30) , we are open minded and travelers,we eat everything! (not ALL,but most),we enjoy new people and new languages and we dont expect that much.

Do you think it's possible? Smile

I think about a few universities in Oman, may be U of Nizwa? or anywhere that provide housing, - flight for dependent (Meeeee) will be super!

any suggestion?

OOOH, and another thing bugs me, it's about the "Related degree", do you think the BA in social science ( and MA is coming to town sooon) will be ok?

Thank you ,thank you , thank you in advance for all kindly answers and advises. sorry for my Bad English, I am Thai from Bangkok,not and never near native English. I hope you guys understand.

Rolling Eyes SiamesCat
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiameseCat wrote:
My hubby will finish his MA TESOL degree ( from the university in the US,his hometown,distant program) in Dec2015 - but we do not want to wait until then and think to go ahead and apply for AUG/SEP2015 semester with

1. BA in social science
2 with experiences : 3 yrs teaching in University level in China,1 yr teaching kid at school in Thailand ,no experience YET in Middle East

...about the "Related degree", do you think the BA in social science ( and MA is coming to town sooon) will be ok?

Does he have a CELTA or equivalent TEFL cert (i.e., 120 hours of in-class instruction with supervised/assessed teaching practice)? Regardless, his unrelated degree won't get his CV a second look, even if he's currently studying for his MA TESOL. (Employers expect to see a completed degree and not one in progress.) Plus, all of his experience will have been gained prior to the MA.

That said, you're both young. At age 30, he should consider teaching for a few years in China or elsewhere to build his post-MA TESOL experience. It will put him in a better position to qualify and compete for jobs in Oman.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the minimum qualifications required to teach in the universities from the latest ad from Hawthorn:

Qualifications:
1. Bachelor Degree, with a TESOL or TEFL certificate and with a
minimum of 3 years experience, or
2. Master Degree in TESOL, TEFL, Applied Linguistics, Literature or
related subject and with a minimum of 2 years experience

I'm not sure whether the Ministry is requiring related degrees or not. (His BA would definitely not be accepted as related) Because the Gulf pays well, they are able to demand proper credentials and experience.

My advice would be for him to finish his MA and get a couple years experience AFTER its completion. That is pretty much the only way to stay in university level teaching if that is his interest. Also they like to see experience teaching Academic English - reading and writing preferably.

Do not consider any job that doesn't provide housing, tickets for both of you, and medical coverage. (this is standard for any dependable employer in the Gulf)

VS
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The related-degree requirement may vary; the Hawthorn ad I saw states the following:

Quote:
Certification: Bachelor Degree with CELTA, DELTA, TEFL or TESOL
Fields of Expertise: ESL/EFL , High School , University ,
Details: Position title: English Language Lecturers to work in Oman
Category: EFL/ESOL/ESL Teacher/Instructor
Experience: Minimum of three (3) years experience in teaching English to adults
Summary:
Hawthorn Muscat English Language Centre requires native English speakers to work at the Ministry of Higher Education Colleges of Applied Sciences in Nizwa, Salalah , Ibri cities of Oman.
Successful applicants will be required to commence duties immediately
Qualifications:
1. Bachelor Degree in English with a TESOL or TEFL certificate and with a minimum of 3 years experience or
2. Master Degree in TESOL, TEFL, Applied Linguistics, Literature or related subject and with a minimum of 3 years experience

(Three cats on this thread so far!) Laughing
1st Sgt Welsh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nomad soul wrote:
The related-degree requirement may vary; the Hawthorn ad I saw states the following:

Quote:
Certification: Bachelor Degree with CELTA, DELTA, TEFL or TESOL
Fields of Expertise: ESL/EFL , High School , University ,
Details: Position title: English Language Lecturers to work in Oman
Category: EFL/ESOL/ESL Teacher/Instructor
Experience: Minimum of three (3) years experience in teaching English to adults
Summary:
Hawthorn Muscat English Language Centre requires native English speakers to work at the Ministry of Higher Education Colleges of Applied Sciences in Nizwa, Salalah , Ibri cities of Oman.
Successful applicants will be required to commence duties immediately
Qualifications:
1. Bachelor Degree in English with a TESOL or TEFL certificate and with a minimum of 3 years experience or
2. Master Degree in TESOL, TEFL, Applied Linguistics, Literature or related subject and with a minimum of 3 years experience

Yep. I didn't have a related degree, yet had no problems getting a job with Hawthorne. However, I did have a CELTA and, as far as I know, aside from those who have MAs and DELTAs etc, so does everyone else employed by Hawthorne that I work with.
Sleepwalker

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your husband needs to get a CELTA and experience pre-Celta or MA is often counted.

Tell him that, once he gets hs his CELTA to apply through the recruiters and direct to private colleges/universities
SiameseCat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Hi Hi Smile wow , i didnt know it would be so fast! I thought I have to wait a bit but you all here already!

thank you thank you very much! everybody Smile

YES!

My husband has TEFL cert in 2009, took it from the school in Phuket before he started teaching English at school in Bangkok in 2010, and then came to China.

He has been teaching general English(Reading/writing/speaking) here for 3 universities in China, the first year in Chinese University teaching Oral English teacher position *THEY DO CALL IT ORAL ENGLISH *LOL ( actually this year and last year he teaches for Kaplan University in the US,which has a Co- program here as an ESL teacher position ) ,i guess it should be able to count as his teaching experiences pre TEFL ?? ( or should he try to get CELTA?)

but his BA.is not related and they might turn down?

- -"

May be he should try to apply for Turkey too? , i heard some Uni no need / serious related degree , then wait until he 's got some experiences after he's got MA then just move on to the gulf?

or he just try to apply via recruiter?

I am confused myself already Razz

Last edited by SiameseCat on Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:48 pm; edited 3 times in total
SiameseCat

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="nomad soul"

(Three cats on this thread so far!) Laughing[/quote]

Meawwww yessss ! wa ha ha! Twisted Evil
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiameseCat wrote:
May be he should try to apply for Turkey too? , i heard some Uni no need / serious related degree , then wait until he 's got some experiences after he's got MA then just move on to the gulf?

You'll have to ask these questions on the Turkey forum.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question whether or not to get the CELTA depends on a couple factors. How many hours was his current certificate and did it have supervised classroom teaching with real EFL students? They would want to see about 120 hours and the supervised teaching.

He could try applying and see what happens. The worst is that they will say no. Cool If his CERT isn't accepted, then he can decide whether to get the CELTA or just finish his MA. (he wouldn't need to do both)

As Nomad said, they will ignore degrees in progress. It must be completed.

VS
madrileno

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SiameseCat wrote:
My husband has TEFL cert in 2009, took it from the school in Phuket before he started teaching English at school in Bangkok in 2010, and then came to China.

He has been teaching general English(Reading/writing/speaking) here for 3 universities in China, the first year in Chinese University teaching Oral English teacher position *THEY DO CALL IT ORAL ENGLISH *LOL ( actually this year and last year he teaches for Kaplan University in the US,which has a Co- program here as an ESL teacher position ) ,i guess it should be able to count as his teaching experiences pre TEFL ?? ( or should he try to get CELTA?)

but his BA.is not related and they might turn down?

- -"

or he just try to apply via recruiter?

I am confused myself already Razz

Since his BA is unrelated it will count for nothing. Recruiters for all of the colleges here want a related BA degree for the minimum requirement. Most people at the more desirable colleges have MAs in TEFL or Linguistics in addition to a related BA.

Your husband's best chances may be with Hawthorn or less desirable places like U Nizwa. Also, these places may not provide all the benefits for employees' spouses (flight, health insurance, etc.) like the recruiters do. Perhaps someone with direct experience from Hawthorn or U Nizwa can provide info on this...
SiameseCat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for all Smile

well, i just talked to him about this and we decided to earn experiences somewhere , finish MA - and work somewhere else before heading to Oman or UAE.

I think I will head to Turkey forum and looking around for more INFO

xia xia!

Twisted Evil
omanoman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a flight home and basic medical coverage are part of Oman labor law and not a condition of the quality of the employer.

college, institute, university, highschool whatever, all work under the law.

If you're getting short changed on these legal basics, wake up and do something about it.

( whoops, edited for poor reading comprehension - spouse benefits are entirely employer preference - still, I'll leave the post up for rookies)

Merry Christmas!

omanoman
CANDLES

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SN......

'Desirable places, versus 'undesirable'? You mention U of Nizwa and no other names.....That's a bit of off! I think the only one that is desirable is SQU??? only because it has been established for a very long time. Rest are debatable .
Wink
SiameseCat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you Omanoman and Candle !

Smile

sorry i was not around ( I was digging up in Turkey forum,as i said - what a nerdddddd LOL)

Razz Happy belated new year! wish you guys all the best!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: