Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which country am I best qualified for:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Linochka

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:58 pm    Post subject: Which country am I best qualified for: Reply with quote

Hello folks, I was wondering if anyone who understands the region better than me (not difficult) can tell me which countries I have a chance in?

I have an undergrad degree (unrelated to English/teaching), CELTA plus 3 years of experience gained in Russia. I'm a British girl, if those details are of any relevance.

I'd deeply appreciate any help. With the collapse of the Russian ruble, I'm making my escape from St Petersburg, and hope to earn as much as I possibly can as quickly as possible.

Thanks again.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Which country am I best qualified for: Reply with quote

That's a "no" for Qatar, Kuwait, and the UAE, which require a related MA + years of experience.

Possibly Oman (some ads by Tati and Hawthorn state related degrees, but they're inconsistent). Oman pays the least of the GCC.

Saudi contracting companies will hire you. You'll see numerous ads for female teachers on the Cafe's job board. Be aware, these companies range in degree of sketchiness, so thoroughly research the employer (not the recruiter) before saying yes to a job offer.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oman is probably your best bet. Currently Hawthorn is recruiting for a couple colleges in the hinterlands. Much depends on what kind of experience you have. Do a search for their ad on the international jobs board here. Then do a search of the employer and cities on here (and the google) to learn the good, the bad, and the ugly.

Without an MA, you are pretty much stuck with the lower tier jobs (not the lowest anyway), but at least your pay will show up pretty predictably. The exchange rates in the Gulf are pegged to the dollar BTW - which means what lands in your accounts back home will vary somewhat... but it has to be better than the current ruble situation.

VS
Pikgitina

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, starting there isn't as bad as it may sound sometimes. Also, if you're serious about staying in the Gulf region and working your way towards better money, this is a great place to start. You can get the experience you need and possibly a distance MA at the same time. It worked for me!
psychedelicacy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the British Council in Qatar, Saudi or Kuwait.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: