Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigating Aeon's Initial Training Week
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fluffyhamster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rslrunner wrote:
It's not the methodology itself that's the problem. The problem is that the methodology is given to people under duress. i talked about this before earlier.

I am a Johnny One Note. I agree. I focus on a few things because nobody else will, and people have gotten it into their heads that discussing these issues is somehow bad form. Which is why nobody has reviewed the precise nature of the training week until I cam along.

"People under duress" could describe any job, though, even in the West. Return to my earlier post at the top of the previous page, rinse, repeat. (See? Imperatives on a bottle of shampoo, of all places! Nice lather, mind).

The fact that you don't think methodology in itself can be a problem, but only the way it is transmitted in training (not that there is always that much of a difference!), tells me you haven't taught much or aren't prepared to move beyond the sticking points you've prescribed for yourself. My honest advice would be to try to put this experience behind you and move on to more positive things. Whether you are generally cut out for ELT (TEFL, TES(O)L) remains to be seen though.

I certainly can't see the point in continuing to repeat yourself on these threads. I think even those intending to work for Aeon and after a bit of "insider" info will zone out after the first half-dozen pages or so. Either way, you've made your points, and those interested can dig your posts out, read them (along with the balancing responses), and draw their own conclusions.

Last edited by fluffyhamster on Fri Jan 08, 2016 5:24 am; edited 1 time in total
rslrunner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fluffyhamster wrote:
rslrunner wrote:
It's not the methodology itself that's the problem. The problem is that the methodology is given to people under duress. i talked about this before earlier.

I am a Johnny One Note. I agree. I focus on a few things because nobody else will, and people have gotten it into their heads that discussing these issues is somehow bad form. Which is why nobody has reviewed the precise nature of the training week until I cam along.

"People under duress" could describe any job, though, even in the West. Return to my earlier post at the top of this page, rinse, repeat. (See? Imperatives on a bottle of shampoo, of all places! Nice lather, mind).

The fact that you don't think methodology in itself can be a problem, but only the way it is transmitted in training (not that there is always that much of a difference!), tells me you haven't taught much or aren't prepared to move beyond the sticking points you've prescribed for yourself. My honest advice would be to try to put this experience behind you and move on to more positive things. Whether you are generally cut out for ELT (TEFL, TES(O)L) remains to be seen though.

I certainly can't see the point in continuing to repeat yourself on these threads. I think even those intending to work for Aeon and after a bit of "insider" info will zone out after the first half-dozen pages or so. Either way, you've made your points, and those interested can dig your posts out, read them (along with the balancing responses), and draw their own conclusions.

Well, I always knew that criticism of the initial training week would lead to questions about my abilities and experience. Which is fine.

If the information and perspectives here, from any side, are helpful to the new people who come along, then these posts and my own experience had/has at least some value. I am confident that the first page, with the schedule and my notes, would be helpful.

Some things are worth repeating, over and over and over again. I believe I am doing good by informing and empowering those who come after me, and then people can sift through the the evidence themselves. I really do.

I would be interested in knowing how the original training came about. What influenced the training? Was it based on Erhard Seminars Training (est)? Has the training changed over time? Is the idea to break people down in order to shape them? Answers to these questions are unlikely to be forthcoming, but I hope that some insights can be provided by a knowledgable inside source one day....

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Erhard_Seminars_Training
HLJHLJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no brain washing. You are being utterly ridiculous.

You were late for class because you literally couldn't blow your nose without making a drama out of it. You thought it was unreasonable that they should object to you being late.

You were unable to cope with the methodology, which you claim is 'impossible' in the time available, despite thousands of other AEON trainees being able to adapt to it.

You therefore claim that all other AEON teachers are mindless drones because it's the only possible explanation for your failure when virtually everyone else succeeds.

By your own admission, you were unable to suitably grade your language, so you were asked to stick to a script, and you couldn't do that either.

You were told to stop slouching around with your hands in your pockets when you were teaching because it's culturally inappropriate, but you were either unable or unwilling to comply.

You were asked not to clutter your desk with water bottles, etc. Again you were unable or unwilling to comply.

That isn't brain washing, no-one was trying to 'break' you, it's just training.

EDIT: I can't believe I've let myself get dragged back into this train wreck.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know one teacher working at AEON in Yamaguchi and he is decent.
He got his MA in the US.
Obviously he would prefer to work somewhere else, but he needs to work.
weigookin74

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rslrunner wrote:
Personal observations and opinions-

1. In Japan, being physically sick is frowned upon. So when the New York office called and asked if I was ready for the training during the next week, I said “yes”. Oh God, how I wish I said I was not ready, simply because I was too physically ill to travel. I rationalized not telling the office that I was sick by telling myself that I would recover in a few days’ time. I was also worried that saying that I was sick would look bad. But I was physically sick, in a way one gets very infrequently. There was about a one in 3,000 chance that I was going to be as sick as I was when I arrived. I should have said, “I cannot perform at the level required.”, and let the chips fall where they may. Indeed, trying to work my way through the physical illness could not have led to a worse result than what actually happened.

2. To believe one thing and to say another, as honne and tatemae requires, is a very mixed bag. On the one hand, putting a lid on private thoughts allows society to function. However, the Japanese and Aeon in particular in this case take it to a whole new level.

This topic can get complicated very quickly. When does repressing one’s true self become convulsive and destructive? When does it make one a better person? These are complicated questions that only every individual can answer for one’s self. But my view is that repressing too much of what we think and feel can be psychologically debilitating.

3. The important thing to remember is that once you arrive in Japan, orientation is more than just learning the methodology. In fact, that is far less important than adopting to peculiar behavioral requirements in a very short period of time.

4. What does it mean to “avoid distracting habits and avoid distracting extremes?” The terms are vague precisely because they are all-encompassing: any behavior considered distracting can be deemed worthy of correction.

What are some of those behaviors?

Crossing your legs in Japan is a no-no, as I was told before coming to Japan.

But there are others: putting one’s hands on one’s hips, putting one’s hands on one’s face, putting your hands above one’s head.

If one is sitting down, one cannot put one’s elbows on the table.

Also, I found out that one cannot have a water bottle on the table, but it had to be placed on my side foot.

Also, teachers are not allowed to move around the room, but must stay and stand in one place for the entire lesson, every lesson, every day.

When I first bowed after saying Ohayo Gozaimas, I was told that I had to bow for three seconds instead of two.

Staff members continued to ask questions of trainees in which one was predisposed, indeed required, to answer in a specific way. My thought at the time was, “Why are they asking questions like we still are at the interview? Why not just provide the information ahead of time, with the expectation that we know this information while in Japan?” The short answer is that the company wants to instill behavioral modifications within a certain power dynamic. But don’t ask why when there. Just model what they are doing.

All of these behavioral modifications take a great deal of getting used to. I believe that one should know that this will be expected of them once one arrives in Japan, before they get to Japan.

5. Why does the company dump all of this material in such a short period of time, especially when much of this information is non-proprietary and could have been provided beforehand? For example, why ask what the the abbreviations for all of the Round Up books in sequential order just after being introduced to them, instead of providing that information months in advance, if that’s what they want trainees to know? Again, my answer is that asking people to do difficult tasks is a means to establishing control over a person’s behavior. I can’t think of another reason.

Bolded. Serious? Is it just AEON or all of Japan that does this? They do realize you're not Japanese right? I mean they meet westerners all the time and do business with other countries? Never had to conform like this in Korea.
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the instructions rslrunner received from induction are surprising (aside from the strict instruction to teach from the front at all times).

These instructions about formal behaviour are not just for the workplace. When you attend a ceremony (wedding, grad, funeral), or you learn a cultural activity (calligraphy, tea, martial arts), you show membership in the group by observing manners. And people will respond to you because you show respect to the Japanese way of doing things.

If you don't bow well, or disregard cultural norms, people won't say anything to your face. They'll just ignore you, or grumble about the gaijin who doesn't care to learn the culture. How many times Japanese colleagues have complained about resistant gaijin they can't seem to get along with.

If you're not up for experiencing such a high-context culture, then maybe Japan isn't for you.
Lamarr

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds to me like Aeon "advise" you to do these things or watch out for them. Some of them sound ridiculous: I've never known anyone to get offended by putting your hand on your head, moving around the room, putting your elbows on the table etc. It may be Aeon's way of trying to straitjacket you some more, make you feel uncomfortable, stiff and on edge, exploiting your ignorance of Japanese culture in order to control you and keep you in line (which isn't an unusual tactic for an eikaiwa).

When it comes to cultural norms, I'd just go with the flow. So many newbies in Japan get very awkward and stiff with the bowing and the manners, not really knowing how and when it's appropriate or expected to do these things. That's something that comes with time and experience. You can't be expected to pick it up in 5 minutes, and I would think that any reasonable Japanese, especially ones attending an "international workplace" like an eikaiwa, would realize that and make allowances.

The reason eikaiwa do things like this is because they sometimes hire some right idiots to fill up the numbers, people who've never been abroad or who are just socially inept anyway, or else are in Japan not for the work but to go travelling, party and live it up. They impose these stupid and restrictive rules to try and make you feel uncomfortable and thus keep you in line. It's just another symptom of the fact that these places aren't interested in quality, but are purely out to make money.
weigookin74

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokyoLiz wrote:
None of the instructions rslrunner received from induction are surprising (aside from the strict instruction to teach from the front at all times).

These instructions about formal behaviour are not just for the workplace. When you attend a ceremony (wedding, grad, funeral), or you learn a cultural activity (calligraphy, tea, martial arts), you show membership in the group by observing manners. And people will respond to you because you show respect to the Japanese way of doing things.

If you don't bow well, or disregard cultural norms, people won't say anything to your face. They'll just ignore you, or grumble about the gaijin who doesn't care to learn the culture. How many times Japanese colleagues have complained about resistant gaijin they can't seem to get along with.

If you're not up for experiencing such a high-context culture, then maybe Japan isn't for you.

It probably isn't. But other countries I've lived in seemed to understand that I'm from another culture and don't expect me to abide strictly by their cultural rules in every circumstance and often seemed to give foreigners a lot of latitude. Though I would try to do some cultural things; I subconsciously didn't probably more often than I realized. It was never a big deal to folks. What makes Japan so special?
dove

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many (most?) Japanese people are exceedingly worried about how others might view, think about, perceive them. I think, unfortunately, many Japanese people go through life fearing that others might be viewing them negatively, so they are keenly aware and self-conscious of their behavior at all times. For example, you will notice that most Japanese people cover their books . They fear being judged negatively, based on what they are reading. I had a friend who liked to read English books. She told me that if people, say, on the train, were to see she was reading an English book, they might think she was showing off. Yes, she feared what a stranger MIGHT be thinking of her.
I saw this fear when I taught in Japan. Once, I asked for a day off to go to a hot spring. I was granted the day off, but I was told to tell the students I was going to a training session at the head office. My supervisor feared that the students would think I was shirking my responsibilities. Other examples: never call on students directly to answer questions (fear that a student might be severely embarrassed for not knowing an answer) Never bring the teacher's
guide to a textbook into the classroom (fear the students will think you are just reading from a script).
Luckily, my last few years in Japan were spent teaching private lessons and company classes where I could, for the most part, stay clear of this aspect of
Japanese culture.
This, weigookin74, is what makes Japan so "special."
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dove says
Quote:
Many (most?) Japanese people are exceedingly worried about how others might view, think about, perceive them.

This is how I appeal to my guy when I find a ratty hankie or holey shirt in the laundry and want to throw it in the rag pile. "You can't wear that! If people see that, they'll think you're a bum and I'm a lousy housewife."

Japanese people strongly value cleanliness, appearances and harmony.

My brother, who has worked for some time in Indonesia, Thailand and Lao, and speaks the local languages with varying fluency, accommodates the local cultures as best he can. He finds that he is received very well when he observes the etiquette and cultural rules.

We may have an advantage as we come from a bicultural and multilingual family where we had a lot of practice switching language and culture codes to please our relatives.

But back to Japan, you don't have to go crazy trying to accommodate everything. And you have to know rules to break them with style. I've met Japanese folk who reject some culture point but they have reasons that they can articulate.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get why it is always the foreigner who must go along to get along.
Why don't some of these Japanese at least try to get along with certain foreigners? Especially if they must team teach with them.
What do they expect, especially when some people are fresh off the boat and had not studied Japanese previously?

When the foreign teacher never bothers to learn Japanese after years of being here, I can understand the annoyance.

But what I cannot stand is when the foreign teacher does make an effort, does study and will speak Japanese but still gets gossiped about because he did not do some petty thing. And it seems the more you know Japanese the worse the pettiness is.

I recommend the book Straightjacket Society by a Japanese psychiatrist who studied in New York.

Dove, I think I found that I have had my fill of K-12 and want to try business English, testing or something where I don't have to fit into a group.
dove

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitsui, I was not happy teaching junior high school, high school, or, worst of all, college students. I just couldn't deal with the apathy and the group-think mentality that suffocated the drive necessary to learn a foreign language. So, my last 4 years, I focused on corporate classes, community classes for seniors, private lessons, and part-time classes at a conversation school for adults. My favorite classes were with seniors and with my private students. It was challenging to commute to different locations ( which is why I loved the lessons I taught in my apartment), but the financial rewards were worth it. Also, I never had to attend any bull$%it meetings or parties where I would be asked for the
millionth time if I could use chopsticks. Also, not being around other teachers was great. I don't know if it's just me, but dealing with other foreign teachers can be an unpleasant experience (I didn't like the oneupmanship that seemed to prevail). If you go this way, you have to self-sponsor and arrange your own insurance and deal with taxes by yourself. But those things weren't so difficult to manage.
mitsui

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2016 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dove,
I can deal with university or high school as long as I don't have to team teach.

I agree about some foreign teachers.
As I get older I get tire of the drunks, skirt-chasers and the bad language.
Some teachers speak like they are in a bar all the time.
What also irks me is when they have been in Japan long enough that they take on
certain Japanese mannerisms without realizing it and tend to treat certain foreign teachers like Japanese teachers would.

As one university teacher told me, he said you have to act genki at the secondary level. The foreigner has to play a role. But you don't get a script, and you have to ad-lib.
Being serious is not enough.
Honestly sometimes it seems that one's personality matters more than if students learn.
rxk22

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mitsui wrote:
Dove,
I can deal with university or high school as long as I don't have to team teach.

I agree about some foreign teachers.
As I get older I get tire of the drunks, skirt-chasers and the bad language.
Some teachers speak like they are in a bar all the time.
What also irks me is when they have been in Japan long enough that they take on
certain Japanese mannerisms without realizing it and tend to treat certain foreign teachers like Japanese teachers would.

As one university teacher told me, he said you have to act genki at the secondary level. The foreigner has to play a role. But you don't get a script, and you have to ad-lib.
Being serious is not enough.
Honestly sometimes it seems that one's personality matters more than if students learn.

I too am tired of the partiers and skirt chases. What really gets me now, is how many foreign teachers here have no clue on what is going on in the world. No current events, no no substance. It makes it hard to talk about anything, that isn't superficial, as they have no idea what is going on the greater world, or Japan. Gets old
TokyoLiz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dove said

Quote:
Other examples: never call on students directly to answer questions (fear that a student might be severely embarrassed for not knowing an answer)

In classrooms with adult learners, calling on students in open class may be appropriate. However, with young people, eliciting answers chorally, or pair and group work to confirm answers, are good strategies.

Kids want to look cool in front of their peers and please the teacher at the same time. It's too risky to look stupid or stand out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: