Site Search:
 
Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigating Aeon's Initial Training Week
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
rslrunner



Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Posts: 252

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TokyoLiz wrote:
Quote:
The problem may be with Japanese culture in general. But that's not my problem.


That's right, it's not you problem. In fact, Aeon and its practices are not your problem, either. It ceased to be when you left.

You don't live and work here, or have the experience of negotiating the conditions of people working here. Your posts show you have no regard for those of us who do so, struggling or thriving here under the current conditions.


You are right that the practices of Aeon are not my specific problem.

However, these practices affect everyone who signs up with them.

Should the people who live in Japan be the only people who should discuss Aeon's Initial Training Week?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rslrunner



Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Posts: 252

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLJHLJ wrote:
There is no brain washing. You are being utterly ridiculous.

You were late for class because you literally couldn't blow your nose without making a drama out of it. You thought it was unreasonable that they should object to you being late.

You were unable to cope with the methodology, which you claim is 'impossible' in the time available, despite thousands of other AEON trainees being able to adapt to it.

You therefore claim that all other AEON teachers are mindless drones because it's the only possible explanation for your failure when virtually everyone else succeeds.

By your own admission, you were unable to suitably grade your language, so you were asked to stick to a script, and you couldn't do that either.

You were told to stop slouching around with your hands in your pockets when you were teaching because it's culturally inappropriate, but you were either unable or unwilling to comply.

You were asked not to clutter your desk with water bottles, etc. Again you were unable or unwilling to comply.

That isn't brain washing, no-one was trying to 'break' you, it's just training.

EDIT: I can't believe I've let myself get dragged back into this train wreck.


Well, HLJHLJ, my advice is to get your facts straight before dragging yourself back into this train wreck.

A while back, HLJHLJ sought to enlighten readers about what I did or didn’t do during training.

I wrote to him and said there were errors in what he wrote, and that if he didn’t respond to me, I would have to address his comments publicly.

He did not respond. So this post addresses what HLJHLJ said.

Responding to this post has been a low priority, as it has been more important to write anti-Trump diatribes, to the extent I have time for writing on the Internet. (Everybody can agree on something.)

If you have no interest in this post, then don’t read it or worry about it. However, I am compelled to correct the record.

HLJHLJ’s original comments are in bold, for the sake of clarity.

There is no brain washing (during initial training). You are being utterly ridiculous.

In my opinion, the whole training week is based on brainwashing.

Please look at how the whole training week is structured at the beginning of thus thread, and my comments in other threads. You are welcome to disagree with my assessment. But it is not ridiculous to question a process that is extraordinarily opaque.

In my view, far from being ridiculous, I am performing a public service by pointing out what initial training entails, for the benefit of outsiders and those who are about to begin training. I make a very clear distinction between my opinion and the facts of the situation.

You were late for class because you literally couldn't blow your nose without making a drama out of it. You thought it was unreasonable that they should object to you being late.


During the orientation, I was very sick. I decided to gut it out. That was a mistake.

When the New York office called a week before my departure, I said through the coughing fit that I would be ready, because I thought I would be better by then.

In retrospect, the better path would have been to state that I was not ready.

During the 10 minute break, I went to the restroom to blow my nose. There were no tissues, only hair dryers. Both bathroom stalls were being used. I did not want for another employee to see me blow my nose without a tissue. I waited until a stall was available. I did my business.

I got back either 20 seconds late or 1 minute and 20 seconds late. My trainer told me to be on time. I was going to tell him that I had to take care of some business, and it wouldn’t happen again. Within a second of opening my moth, I was told, “Thank you!”

The trainer actually apologized for being overly harsh.

I never said that it was OK to be late, then, in any of my posts, or now. Never. I only wanted to explain why I was late, and to assure anyone that it would not happen again. I didn’t even get a chance to say that.

I am displeased that HLJHLJ is putting words in my mouth that I would never utter.

You were unable to cope with the methodology, which you claim is 'impossible' in the time available, despite thousands of other AEON trainees being able to adapt to it.

It is impossible to learn the entire methodology of round-up or group lessons in one day. Yes. Nobody gets all of it in a day.

The key, if you want to succeed, is to get the gist of the formula, and then put on a happy face. If you are not happy, and you are not willing or able to mask your unhappiness, you can’t do well.

I ditched the script in the middle of my first presentation. I just couldn't remember the script that i had obtained the day before.

You therefore claim that all other AEON teachers are mindless drones because it's the only possible explanation for your failure when virtually everyone else succeeds.

For the umpteenth time, I take full responsibility for my failure at initial training. I have taken responsibility for failing to pick up the methodology in time, over and over and over again.

HLJHLJ, you are spreading false information that I have addressed before. So stop it.

I never said that Aeon teachers are mindless drones by nature.

I did say, and will say here again, that any aspiring Aeon teacher will have to play the role of drone or automaton during initial training. That is what Aeon wants.

By your own admission, you were unable to suitably grade your language, so you were asked to stick to a script, and you couldn't do that either.

Grade my language? Perhaps you mean this?:

I was told to start the word “Let’s”. Instead, I said, “Today we are going to…”, and told immediately, “No, you must use let’s!”

It would be beneficial for newbies to know how one’s language would have to be, well, graded.

You were told to stop slouching around with your hands in your pockets when you were teaching because it's culturally inappropriate, but you were either unable or unwilling to comply.

Actually, I put my hands on my hips. You can't do that, or cross your legs, or many other body gestures. Remember, you are not allowed to sit in class either. Ever.

I am sure my facial expression clearly expressed resentment at being told about putting hands on my hips. Grown adults are not told about their body language, and adults who want to patrol the body language of others should make their intentions clear that they are dedicating themselves to this kind of absurdity.

You were asked not to clutter your desk with water bottles, etc. Again you were unable or unwilling to comply.

I left my water bottle on the table once. I was told to put it on the floor. That is what I did.

I did drink from the water bottle. Is that against the rules as well? No teacher or student should be deprived of drinking water in my book.

That isn't brain washing, no-one was trying to 'break' you, it's just training.

Actually, in my view, the whole training enterprise is designed to break people, and then build them up in the image that the company wants.

I don’t say this lightly. I urge everyone to please look at the schedule at the beginning of this thread.

Is there anything in that material that is incorrect? If yes, I will correct it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
kpjf



Joined: 18 Jan 2012
Posts: 385

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I waited until a stall was available. I did my business.


Did you blow your nose too?


Quote:
I was going to tell him that I had to take care of some business,


Would you teach your students to use this expression for blowing one's nose?



Quote:

In my view, far from being ridiculous, I am performing a public service by pointing out what initial training entails, for the benefit of outsiders and those who are about to begin training. I make a very clear distinction between my opinion and the facts of the situation.


If you were British The Queen would be giving you an MBE my dear. An MBE for your lifelong dedication to calling out the bad and cult-like practices of AEON.

Quote:
Responding to this post has been a low priority, as it has been more important to write anti-Trump diatribes, to the extent I have time for writing on the Internet. (Everybody can agree on something.)


Maybe you could do a special edition comparing Trump and Aeon?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
72308



Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 38
Location: Tokyo, Japan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Dude. Reply with quote

I lived in Japan from 2013-2015 (worked for AEON and Gaba, so managed to get through the training week without the DEATH that others seems to have experienced) and have been back home for a year. Came over to the forum out of nostalgia and am highly entertained to see that rslrunner is not only still here, but TALKING ABOUT THE SAME EXPERIENCE. Honestly, it brought me joy.

Respect to everyone still trying to talk sense into him - good luck eh?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
move



Joined: 30 May 2009
Posts: 132

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rslrunner wrote:
HLJHLJ wrote:
There is no brain washing. You are being utterly ridiculous.

You were late for class because you literally couldn't blow your nose without making a drama out of it. You thought it was unreasonable that they should object to you being late.

You were unable to cope with the methodology, which you claim is 'impossible' in the time available, despite thousands of other AEON trainees being able to adapt to it.

You therefore claim that all other AEON teachers are mindless drones because it's the only possible explanation for your failure when virtually everyone else succeeds.

By your own admission, you were unable to suitably grade your language, so you were asked to stick to a script, and you couldn't do that either.

You were told to stop slouching around with your hands in your pockets when you were teaching because it's culturally inappropriate, but you were either unable or unwilling to comply.

You were asked not to clutter your desk with water bottles, etc. Again you were unable or unwilling to comply.

That isn't brain washing, no-one was trying to 'break' you, it's just training.

EDIT: I can't believe I've let myself get dragged back into this train wreck.


Well, HLJHLJ, my advice is to get your facts straight before dragging yourself back into this train wreck.

A while back, HLJHLJ sought to enlighten readers about what I did or didn’t do during training.

I wrote to him and said there were errors in what he wrote, and that if he didn’t respond to me, I would have to address his comments publicly.

He did not respond. So this post addresses what HLJHLJ said.

Responding to this post has been a low priority, as it has been more important to write anti-Trump diatribes, to the extent I have time for writing on the Internet. (Everybody can agree on something.)

If you have no interest in this post, then don’t read it or worry about it. However, I am compelled to correct the record.

HLJHLJ’s original comments are in bold, for the sake of clarity.

There is no brain washing (during initial training). You are being utterly ridiculous.

In my opinion, the whole training week is based on brainwashing.

Please look at how the whole training week is structured at the beginning of thus thread, and my comments in other threads. You are welcome to disagree with my assessment. But it is not ridiculous to question a process that is extraordinarily opaque.

In my view, far from being ridiculous, I am performing a public service by pointing out what initial training entails, for the benefit of outsiders and those who are about to begin training. I make a very clear distinction between my opinion and the facts of the situation.

You were late for class because you literally couldn't blow your nose without making a drama out of it. You thought it was unreasonable that they should object to you being late.


During the orientation, I was very sick. I decided to gut it out. That was a mistake.

When the New York office called a week before my departure, I said through the coughing fit that I would be ready, because I thought I would be better by then.

In retrospect, the better path would have been to state that I was not ready.

During the 10 minute break, I went to the restroom to blow my nose. There were no tissues, only hair dryers. Both bathroom stalls were being used. I did not want for another employee to see me blow my nose without a tissue. I waited until a stall was available. I did my business.

I got back either 20 seconds late or 1 minute and 20 seconds late. My trainer told me to be on time. I was going to tell him that I had to take care of some business, and it wouldn’t happen again. Within a second of opening my moth, I was told, “Thank you!”

The trainer actually apologized for being overly harsh.

I never said that it was OK to be late, then, in any of my posts, or now. Never. I only wanted to explain why I was late, and to assure anyone that it would not happen again. I didn’t even get a chance to say that.

I am displeased that HLJHLJ is putting words in my mouth that I would never utter.

You were unable to cope with the methodology, which you claim is 'impossible' in the time available, despite thousands of other AEON trainees being able to adapt to it.

It is impossible to learn the entire methodology of round-up or group lessons in one day. Yes. Nobody gets all of it in a day.

The key, if you want to succeed, is to get the gist of the formula, and then put on a happy face. If you are not happy, and you are not willing or able to mask your unhappiness, you can’t do well.

I ditched the script in the middle of my first presentation. I just couldn't remember the script that i had obtained the day before.

You therefore claim that all other AEON teachers are mindless drones because it's the only possible explanation for your failure when virtually everyone else succeeds.

For the umpteenth time, I take full responsibility for my failure at initial training. I have taken responsibility for failing to pick up the methodology in time, over and over and over again.

HLJHLJ, you are spreading false information that I have addressed before. So stop it.

I never said that Aeon teachers are mindless drones by nature.

I did say, and will say here again, that any aspiring Aeon teacher will have to play the role of drone or automaton during initial training. That is what Aeon wants.

By your own admission, you were unable to suitably grade your language, so you were asked to stick to a script, and you couldn't do that either.

Grade my language? Perhaps you mean this?:

I was told to start the word “Let’s”. Instead, I said, “Today we are going to…”, and told immediately, “No, you must use let’s!”

It would be beneficial for newbies to know how one’s language would have to be, well, graded.

You were told to stop slouching around with your hands in your pockets when you were teaching because it's culturally inappropriate, but you were either unable or unwilling to comply.

Actually, I put my hands on my hips. You can't do that, or cross your legs, or many other body gestures. Remember, you are not allowed to sit in class either. Ever.

I am sure my facial expression clearly expressed resentment at being told about putting hands on my hips. Grown adults are not told about their body language, and adults who want to patrol the body language of others should make their intentions clear that they are dedicating themselves to this kind of absurdity.

You were asked not to clutter your desk with water bottles, etc. Again you were unable or unwilling to comply.

I left my water bottle on the table once. I was told to put it on the floor. That is what I did.

I did drink from the water bottle. Is that against the rules as well? No teacher or student should be deprived of drinking water in my book.

That isn't brain washing, no-one was trying to 'break' you, it's just training.

Actually, in my view, the whole training enterprise is designed to break people, and then build them up in the image that the company wants.

I don’t say this lightly. I urge everyone to please look at the schedule at the beginning of this thread.

Is there anything in that material that is incorrect? If yes, I will correct it.


Lots of times my students write their essays line by line, not in paragraphs. I always tell them "you aren't making a list for the supermarket." I think it helps them to remember the rule.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rslrunner



Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Posts: 252

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The beginning of this thread provided outsiders and new hires with the opportunity to peer into what happens during Aeon's initial training week.

The information provided was accurate.

Has the initial training week changed at all in the past three years?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rslrunner



Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Posts: 252

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rslrunner wrote:
The beginning of this thread provided outsiders and new hires with the opportunity to peer into what happens during Aeon's initial training week.

The information provided was accurate.

Has the initial training week changed at all in the past three years?


The information I provided is outdated, and should be treated accordingly.

Time for other things. Wishing success for everybody in the New Year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rslrunner



Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Posts: 252

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only new information that I have about Initial Training Week is the following directives about having a culturally sensitive mindset:

Culturally Sensitive Mindset:

Beware of your own cultural bias
Be open to new ideas
Be accepting and understanding of a new culture
Look, Listen and Think before acting or judging.

While I appreciate that this mindset is available to the general public, I am compelled to point out that being accepting and understanding of the outside culture in this particular case requires adopting a persona with very strict behavioral requirements. Unless something has changed....

People should know in advance whether this kind of persona is something they would be comfortable with.

I welcome anyone to add any information that would help future trainees.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dove



Joined: 01 Oct 2003
Posts: 271
Location: USA/Japan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again?
I was working part-time for AEON part-time when the Tohoku earthquake struck. They took care of their teachers and students during the messy weeks after the earthquake. They went beyond what they had to do. Even in Tokyo, the schools were closed for about a week. They paid me part of my salary even though I didn't work. I know you have issues with AEON, but can this be the final word? They cared about me during a very difficult time.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Gazoo1000



Joined: 22 Apr 2012
Posts: 59
Location: There

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do all the training sessions take place in Tokyo are are they spread-out throughout Japan?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Gazoo1000



Joined: 22 Apr 2012
Posts: 59
Location: There

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear rlsrunner,

I have been reading through your posts for several days now. As a comparison I took a look at company review site, which discusses Aeon. To avoid alluding to a site that competes with Dave's I'll refer to the company as GD.

Not one person, out of countless posts, has mentioned anything that comes, at all, near what you are saying. So either there is a conspiracy, of millions of people, all to promote some small business in Japan or you are a bit out of touch.

In your opinion, which is more likely?

Gazoo
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
rslrunner



Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Posts: 252

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gazoo1000 wrote:
Dear rlsrunner,

I have been reading through your posts for several days now. As a comparison I took a look at company review site, which discusses Aeon. To avoid alluding to a site that competes with Dave's I'll refer to the company as GD.

Not one person, out of countless posts, has mentioned anything that comes, at all, near what you are saying. So either there is a conspiracy, of millions of people, all to promote some small business in Japan or you are a bit out of touch.

In your opinion, which is more likely?

Gazoo


If I don't know the name of the site you refer to, and I can't refer to the pages you mention, then I can't address your concern in an effective way.

This particular thread is about the initial training week.The first several posts are not my opinion, but a factual recounting of what occurs, or occurred as the case may be, during that week.

I wrote a long while ago that the information is outdated, in that I have no idea whether the initial training week still follows the same format. Having said that, there is a lot of specific information that could be useful to those who are either considering an interview, or who are preparing for the initial training period themselves, regardless of whether one agrees with me or not about anything else. I strived very hard to be as accurate as possible.

If there was or is any information in my first several posts that was outdated, inaccurate or misleading, I did and still do welcome any kind of correction.

There was a vacuum, so I decided to fill it. I wanted people to know what was expected of them, so they could either choose another path, or perform better if they decided to pursue this particular opportunity. I wanted to help people in this thread, no matter what choice they made. Some may not believe this. But it's the truth.

So best of luck to all those who will go through the initial training week in the future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
rslrunner



Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Posts: 252

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The topic discussed here about Aeon's training week has not been discussed before, and it is important.

Most trainees arrive two days before training starts. I recall that Aeon wants you to arrive just before training.

This is not enough time to adjust to the radically different time zone. Indeed, the rule of thumb is that it takes a day for every hour difference to adjust to the new time zone.

So trainees, by nature, cannot be at their best, as the one rest day before training starts is not enough.

One solution is to come to Japan early, or least begin the adjustment to a new time zone by going to Hawaii first. Of course, both options are too expensive for most trainees.

Having said that, if you can come early, please do so, for your own benefit.

Someone on Glassdoor.com said that Aeon does not allow new trainees to come early to Japan. If this information is wrong, I would be happy to correct it.

But if this is indeed true, why does this policy exist? After all, the trainees pays for the ticket to go to Japan. A company cannot expect or demand for a trainee to come at a specific time if they are not paying for the flight. Moreover, if one is better equipped for training by adjusting to the new time zone, that is better for everybody.

Right?

Anyone who can speak to this would be appreciated. Of course, the highest priority here is setting the record straight and providing accurate information, no matter what.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
yurii



Joined: 12 Jan 2017
Posts: 100

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you email them and ask? [email protected] or [email protected]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
fluffytwo



Joined: 24 Sep 2016
Posts: 137

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rslrunner wrote:
Most trainees arrive two days before training starts. I recall that Aeon wants you to arrive just before training.

This is not enough time to adjust to the radically different time zone. Indeed, the rule of thumb is that it takes a day for every hour difference to adjust to the new time zone.


I've never needed more than a day or two to arrive (from the UK) and settle in before starting jobs in Asia. A full week would be quite unnecessary, especially if the initial period involved merely training rather than actually teaching (and even the actual teaching is hardly that demanding given the method school/language mill set-up).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


This page is maintained by the one and only Dave Sperling.
Contact Dave's ESL Cafe
Copyright © 2018 Dave Sperling. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group

Teaching Jobs in China
Teaching Jobs in China