Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigating Aeon's Initial Training Week
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fluffytwo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure if you "follow the money" that a lot of business the world over can be objected to for some reason. Personally though I wouldn't work anywhere too chainschool simply because the material and methodology employed is usually and for the most part linguistically askew.
The Transformer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to be a teacher, get qualified in your subject and get qualified to teach it, it's as simple as that. Even then, I personally don't think the public education system, certainly in Western countries, is up to much (Germany perhaps being the exception). But chain schools in Japan aren't about education or language learning, they're purely about making money in any way they can.
GreenHorse

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, I'm so confused after reading the 11 previous pages... someone did the training 5 years ago, didn't like it, and so nobody should apply to one of the biggest eikaiwas in the country?

I'm sure there are also good stories... or at least average "yeah, it's a job, good days and bad days" type opinions...?

It seems like everyone on here is very bitter...
yurii

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenHorse wrote:
Wait, I'm so confused after reading the 11 previous pages... someone did the training 5 years ago, didn't like it, and so nobody should apply to one of the biggest eikaiwas in the country?

I'm sure there are also good stories... or at least average "yeah, it's a job, good days and bad days" type opinions...?

More or less! The crux of the matter is he's extremely bitter about his bad experience and has made it a lifelong crusade to warn people of the cult-like behaviour of AEON and to dissuade anyone from taking a job with them. Oh and yep, he cannot get over said experience... unfortunately. It's actually quite sad to be like this.

The Transformer wrote:
I personally don't think the public education system, certainly in Western countries, is up to much (Germany perhaps being the exception). .

On what evidence/basis? And why is Germany perhaps the exception?
The Transformer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yurii wrote:
On what evidence/basis? And why is Germany perhaps the exception?

Lots of evidence: mine and other people's experience of school and university, uni lecturers saying that students entering uni know less and less year on year. Germany has an education system that selects on ability, regardless of your background, as opposed to the comprehensive system in the UK which essentially selects on wealth.
yurii

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Transformer wrote:

Lots of evidence: mine and other people's experience of school and university, uni lecturers saying that students entering uni know less and less year on year.

I disagree that this can be counted as real ''evidence'' representing the several dozen western countries in the world.

The Transformer wrote:
Germany has an education system that selects on ability, regardless of your background, as opposed to the comprehensive system in the UK which essentially selects on wealth.

Of course there is social inequality in the UK but is Germany really really a model to look up to? Maybe if you had suggested Finland instead.

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14616696.2016.1226373

http://www.businessinsider.com/pisa-worldwide-ranking-of-math-science-reading-skills-2016-12

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/mar/15/germany-middle-class-inequality-schools (of course this is 7 years old, but I'm not sure how much of a societal change can be made in that time).

Anyway, this is not really the thread to discuss these matters as it's about AEON.
fluffytwo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GreenHorse wrote:

I hate to break it to you but teaching (directly, "yourself", versus e.g. AETing) content over which you have little control or genuine input (and which may thus be of dubious linguistic value) day in and out can become especially stultifying if not frustrating (depending of course on how much you like or are prone to reflect on things, or not LOL). And this is a potential problem not just in the big, chain-method eikaiwa.

For example, at a small non-chain eikaiwa I once taught at, the owners swore by a somehow still in print 1920s-something book called Thinking in English, that was full of examples like 'Is it better to spread butter with a knife, or with a spoon?'. The "grammar" may be "all there" but where's the language, the communication? (Perhaps Harold Palmer, "trailblazer" that he was, was even back then still at times subject to some of the pressures that may affect "one's" teaching). No wonder some of the students at that small eikaiwa had been stuck at and for years repeating the classes "requiring" that particular text.

Good luck if you don't mind putting your brain on hold (I couldn't, and won't - I soon left that eikaiwa, plus they had more than their fair share of unpleasant or eccentric students, and didn't keep kid ages let alone levels separate enough to effectively teach them), as it's admittedly "easy enough" money, but this is all obviously quite distinct (and reasonable, and hopefully informative enough) from things like claiming Aeon is a cult.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Japan All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11
Page 11 of 11

Jump to: