Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I have a chance in Poland?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AussieGus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.

The million dollar question though is as follows. Is the ME an appropriate place to take a young family and Chinese wife? I've had a look at the ME forums and it does appear that I'll have difficulty finding work.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AussieGus wrote:
Thanks guys.

The million dollar question though is as follows. Is the ME an appropriate place to take a young family and Chinese wife? I've had a look at the ME forums and it does appear that I'll have difficulty finding work.

Nothing inappropriate about it, just that you might have to adapt to a few cultural norms. Certainly, there are far worse places to take children.

The real question is whether an entry-level ME wage will actually go very far if you have to support three others on it.
Shimokitazawa

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AussieGus wrote:
Thanks guys.

China seems an obvious choice for a TEFL career for you. Especially if you are interested in teaching at the university level.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimokitazawa wrote:
AussieGus wrote:
Thanks guys.

China seems an obvious choice for a TEFL career for you. Especially if you are interested in teaching at the university level.
He's made it clear elsewhere that China isn't really an option for whatever reason.
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poland is not appropriate for him either. He refuses to consider the Middle East. He hates Korea. He likes China but his wife refuses to go back there. I guess he is stuck with Australia - which he hates because it is full of immigrants.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Poland is not appropriate for him either. He refuses to consider the Middle East. He hates Korea. He likes China but his wife refuses to go back there. I guess he is stuck with Australia - which he hates because it is full of immigrants.
Maybe Russia would suit him, then? It should be easy to get childcare (just bribe the local public nursery director, no big deal), hating immigrants is currently on the agenda and he'll earn enough to at least survive.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

The Rouble's tanked and imported food has doubled in price according to my pal at BAe who left Russia a month ago. Don't go there. He has to as his wife's Russian. He told me the TEFL market is the same as Poland's. He didn't work at all for 4 months as he said it was a waste of time.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

dragonpiwo wrote:
The Rouble's tanked and imported food has doubled in price according to my pal at BAe who left Russia a month ago. Don't go there. He has to as his wife's Russian. He told me the TEFL market is the same as Poland's. He didn't work at all for 4 months as he said it was a waste of time.
Russia is a huge country. The tefl market can't be the same as Poland's throughout the entire country.

I wonder if the worsening economic conditions in Russia might actually increase the demand for English teachers. A poor economy = more emigration = increasing demand for foreign language skills.

Too bad the Rouble is in the tank.

As for the OP, I don''t think there is anywhere in the world where you can support a wife and two kids comfortably on an entry-level tefl salary. The ME and Korea possibly, but he has already written them off as options.
delphian-domine

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

Master Shake wrote:
As for the OP, I don''t think there is anywhere in the world where you can support a wife and two kids comfortably on an entry-level tefl salary. The ME and Korea possibly, but he has already written them off as options.
I think the magic word is "comfortably". He doesn't seem willing to get the qualifications needed for good employers in the ME, he doesn't want to go to Korea - I guess he's best just staying in Australia, even if the immigrants annoy him because they work harder and better.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 2:41 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

He's better off staying there trust me. Still not been paid by one of the largest ELT providers in Poland.

On top of the teaching, running about and doing admin 2 or 3 times over-I'm yet to receive a cent for the classes I've been doing since early November. We must have exchanged over 100 emails in that time and today I was asked to send a copy of my contract to someone by someone who has a copy of my contract. Moreover, the guy in the Warsaw office has asked for a copy too and I've already sent it there before.

I'm leaving soon thank god. Working here is a joke.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Escape from Poland ! OK as a place to live in or visit but not a place for "Gastarbeiter" !
Master Shake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

scot47 wrote:
Escape from Poland ! OK as a place to live in or visit but not a place for "Gastarbeiter" !
...unless you 1) manage to find a job which doesn't suck 2) live in Warsaw.

I don't know any competent, qualified teacher in Warsaw who is really struggling to make ends meet.

I'm back in Warsaw for the holidays and some friends have opened their own school and business seems to be going well so far.
dragonpiwo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:12 pm    Post subject: erm Reply with quote

Like I said, I'm only doing part-time but Warsaw is a different ball park. I was at a school t'other day and was shocked to see a native speaker school-owner doing lessons there too to make ends meet.

Zloty a minute-that's the rate except with my privates, who I charge 70 for the hour. The key is to get blocks but they are hard to come by.
Master Shake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A zloty per min net is the rate you can expect to earn in Warsaw when you're starting out. Opportunities abound to earn more:

- The British Council pay scale starts about 100zl/hr gross.
- In company lessons are often paid quite well
- Kids' lessons are in high demand so if you've got the chops, these can be a real earner.
-Universities are an option, if you've got a masters.
- International schools (e.g. the British School, The American School) pay better than any Polish tefl salary and include benefits + summers off. But again, you need the required qualifications.

I charged 80zl/hr for my private students (I'm too nice), but I know several teachers who get over 100zl/hr.

So the outlook's not so grim in the capitol. I reckon you could support a family on a tefl salary, though you wouldn't be living high on the hog. But heck, millions of Poles support families on much less so it's definitely possible.

The problems with the OP coming to Warsaw are 1) he's not well qualified by Polish standards 2) the visa situation 3) it takes time to get the ball rolling on the better paying stuff. Time is a luxury he probably can't afford if he's supporting 4 people.
Janek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: erm Reply with quote

xxx

Last edited by Janek on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: