Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is the Middle East feasible for me? If so, where?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AussieGus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Is the Middle East feasible for me? If so, where? Reply with quote

Hello there.

I'm a 38 year old Australian with an unrelated BA (Anthropology), TESOL and 7 years ESL teaching experience in Asia, mostly Korea. I can find only dead end, menial work in Australia and I'm looking for somewhere I can make a new start, teach, have a new cultural experience and save money for a few years. I have a young family, two children under 3 and a Chinese wife.

Many have suggested the ME but I'm skeptical. I've only heard negative things about it and I would hate to put my family in jeopardy (safety, political stability, healthcare, environment, etc). But I've got no prospects in Australia. Also I have a chronic pain condition, fibromyalgia, which requires me to take opiate based painkillers, oxycodone. I can handle no alcohol but are these medications available if you have a legitimate reason?

I know those credentials really are the bare minimum required but could I find employment and build a decent life for my family in the ME? If so, where and how?

Any replies much appreciated.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's good to see you finally posted on this forum. One thing you haven't mentioned is when you last taught EFL. A lack of recent teaching experience will likely put you at newbie status in the eyes of Saudi contracting companies---minimal qualifications (e.g., an unrelated BA) pretty much equate to minimal benefits. That means employers may not be willing to cover the cost of airfare, residence permits (iqamas), and health care coverage for your family. Housing may be an issue if it's provided directly by the employer and deemed for bachelors (men on a single-status visa) and not families (men with a spouse/children). That would be your responsibility financially as well. Moreover, if your best option is a job in Saudi Arabia, you and your wife need to sit down and discuss whether you both can mentally handle living in an ultra-conservative, segregated society.

Oman might be worth a look. Check out the requirements for Tati and Hawthorn to see if your unrelated BA and (recent?) TEFL experience are sufficient. However, be aware it pays the least of the Gulf countries and there may not be benefits extended to your family.

Some things to think about.
AussieGus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks nomad.

Your right. I can tell you right now that Saudi is out. I wouldn't want to subject my family to such an oppressive and awful place.

I guess that narrows it down to UAE, Qatar, Kuwait or Oman. Where do you suggest? I haven't taught since 2009, in Vietnam, so that might be an issue. Also how would they verify my ESL experience? I have no reference letters nor have any old contacts in Korea to vouch for me so they would just need to take my word for it.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Such an oppressive and awful place". Have you visited ? You would need a CELTA or equivalent. My hunch is that you would better to return to China.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AussieGus wrote:
Saudi is out. I wouldn't want to subject my family to such an oppressive and awful place.

I guess that narrows it down to UAE, Qatar, Kuwait or Oman. Where do you suggest? I haven't taught since 2009, in Vietnam, so that might be an issue. Also how would they verify my ESL experience? I have no reference letters nor have any old contacts in Korea to vouch for me so they would just need to take my word for it.

For Oman, do an Internet search on Tati Oman English jobs and another for Hawthorn Oman English jobs for the most recent ads. Qatar, Kuwait, and the UAE are a no-go; they require a relevant MA + a minimum 2 or 3 years university-level TEFL experience.

You have two other major strikes against you: the lack of recent teaching experience and unverifiable previous experience. In this region, the burden is on the job applicant to provide original, official signed employment verification letters or certificates of employment from each previous employer. This documentation is used to determine the job seeker's salary and confirm experience.

But since you're not a fit for Saudi Arabia, this region isn't feasible for you and your family at this time.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Working in the Middle East Reply with quote

Getting opiate-based painkillers will not be easy.
lcanupp1964

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My two cents worth...

OP, you could:

1. Teach in Oman at either Tati or Hawthorn (like VS suggested) and bring your family. I worked for Hawthorn in Sohar and I know from exp. that you can get the meds you need. Heck, one teacher was on Xanax and got a 30-day supply every month.

2. Teach in Saudi for one year and don't bring your family. You may be able to get a job that pays better in the Kingdom. You can do one year and send your wife 90% of your pay. Kind of a two-steps backwards, and three steps forward approach. In addition, you can also get any pain meds in the Kingdom. It's easier if you are a direct hire, but you can go to a private hospital (The German Hospital in Jeddah) and pay for the meds yourself. I live in KSA now. Just make sure you bring all your medical records and notes/letters from your doctors. Another friend of mine here in Jeddah gets Vicodin and Ativan from the KAU's university hospital when he "needs" it.

3. If you have enough money and you really want to do this for the next ten years (as opposed to you working in "dead end, menial work in Australia"), work on getting your Masters. Keep in mind that many places (almost 100% in KSA) won't hire you if your degree was earned online/long distance.
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Opiates in the ME Reply with quote

Quote:
I know from exp. that you can get the meds you need

lcanupp1964, if you're taking, or have taken oxycodone, and have no problem obtaining it, fine. My comment was based on the experience of a friend who suffers from severe migraines and has difficulty in obtaining certain opiate-based medicines in Oman.
AussieGus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again.

I wouldn't want to leave my family for a year. That has been suggested many times and I know others do it but I think the point of having a family is experiencing life with them.

It seems all ESL jobs in Oman also also require a Masters or Dip Ed. Is there anywhere that will take me with my current credentials?
grahamb

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:21 pm    Post subject: Oman Reply with quote

You could try the Royal Air Force of Oman, but be aware that they only offer single-status contracts and don't, therefore, provide family accommodation. They'd help sponsor your family's visas, but you'd need to find your own accommodation.

Contrary to much that's been said by disgruntled former employees, they're not bad to work for, pay on time, pay for three return flights each year (only two for Antipodeans, I'm afraid), and give sixty (yes, six zero) days annual leave, plus numerous religious holidays.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AussieGus wrote:
It seems all ESL jobs in Oman also also require a Masters or Dip Ed. Is there anywhere that will take me with my current credentials?

Oman employers TATI and Hawthorn 'prefer' an MA---it's not a requirement. However, it's unsure if they'll accept your BA in Anthropology. Then there's the fact that you haven't taught in 5 years and can't verify any of your previous TEFL employment. As such, they (and other employers in the region) are likely to view you as a newbie with zero teaching experience (and rightfully so), which means you don't meet the requisite number of years of experience. Of course, you could certainly apply anyway, but definitely be realistic about your chances.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Oman Reply with quote

grahamb wrote:
You could try the Royal Air Force of Oman...

A tough sell based on the following 2013 job posting:
    English Language Teachers at ROYAL AIR FORCE OF OMAN
    Location Throughout the Sultanate of Oman, Oman
    Experience 5 years

Details
    9 vacancies for physically fit male teachers aged between 25 – 55 to teach English language to adult students. Letter of application stating availability date should be included with a detailed CV in the application.

Qualifications
    Successful applicants must be university graduates, and have TEFL/TESOL qualification with a minimum of five years' teaching experience. Preference will be given to those who have knowledge and experience in curriculum development, training needs analysis, exam writing, delivering aptitude tests and competent IT skills. Knowledge of Arabic is an advantage.
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Tough sell Reply with quote

While the OP's lack of recent teaching experience would go against him, he's got nothing to lose by applying. Recruitment has always been a problem for RAFO.
nomad soul

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No matter. The OP headed back to the China forum to ask about jobs there.

Generally, the Mid East is the toughest TEFL market to get into in terms of qualifications and/or the hoops applicants have to jump through in order to meet the requirements.
AussieGus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the reason for that Nomad, out of curiosity?

How come they can afford to be so fussy regarding teachers' credentials and experience when the ME is the most oppressive, inhospitable, intolerant and generally awful region on earth?

You'd think they'd take anyone with a pulse who can string a couple of words together. Ridiculous.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: