Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working for Multiple Employers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 7:43 pm    Post subject: Working for Multiple Employers Reply with quote

As those of you who have followed my posts know, I recently left an unsatisfactory prepa job in Mexico City and moved to Queretaro, where I am teaching Business English classes part-time for one school and will probably do so for others as well.

I am in my fourth year with a Residente Temporal visa, which runs through August 2015, when I will be eligible to apply for my Residente Permanente visa.

What I want to ask is, what is the proper way to handle informing Immigration of the change in my work status, and how do I handle taxation issues as I'm working for multiple employers? My current employer mentioned my getting "recibos"; can anyone tell me about that? Do I go to Immigration for that, or is there another government office that I go to?

Thanks in advance for all information.
MotherF

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2015 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recibes are from Hacienda.(SAT) I'm sure there is someone with more recent info than me but it's a pretty straightforward process.
Guero1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2015 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe if you change employer or house you need to go to immigration and file some papers to let them know of such.

www.inm.gob.mx or go down to the immigration office and ask them about it. I assume it would be best to do now or when it comes to becoming a permanent resident it may be hard to explain your previous changes and may result in a fine.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MotherF wrote:
Recibes are from Hacienda.(SAT) I'm sure there is someone with more recent info than me but it's a pretty straightforward process.

You have to take your work visa to SAT and get an RFC (tax registration number) and a FIEL (electronic filing thingie). Once you have that you can go to any printer that prints recibos and have a book made up. You have to pay taxes monthly, but you can pay online so it is not a difficult process if you speak Spanish.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guero1 wrote:
I believe if you change employer or house you need to go to immigration and file some papers to let them know of such.

www.inm.gob.mx or go down to the immigration office and ask them about it. I assume it would be best to do now or when it comes to becoming a permanent resident it may be hard to explain your previous changes and may result in a fine.

I will definitely do that promptly.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
MotherF wrote:

You have to take your work visa to SAT and get an RFC (tax registration number) and a FIEL (electronic filing thingie). Once you have that you can go to any printer that prints recibos and have a book made up. You have to pay taxes monthly, but you can pay online so it is not a difficult process if you speak Spanish.

Sounds easy enough. I appreciate the guidance!
Rose Cohen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BadBeagleBad wrote:
MotherF wrote:

I'm pretty sure that you don't get paper recibos printed up any more. Everything is done on line these days.
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2015 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rose Cohen wrote:

I'm pretty sure that you don't get paper recibos printed up any more. Everything is done on line these days.

Could be. My recibos expired several years ago and I haven´t had need of them again, so my information could be a little out of date. Thanks for the update.
notamiss

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, last year was the last time one could still use printed recibos: now it is all done online on the SAT website.

The specifications for doing or not doing IVA and ISR withholdings on the recibos are very complicated and often change, so it’s a good idea to get help with this.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notamiss wrote:
Yes, last year was the last time one could still use printed recibos: now it is all done online on the SAT website.

The specifications for doing or not doing IVA and ISR withholdings on the recibos are very complicated and often change, so it’s a good idea to get help with this.

Yes, I am thinking of using an accountant who has experience helping expats, and I imagine that I can find one here in Queretaro, because there are so many international residents here. Do any of you who work independently have experience with using such an accountant? I am sure that if I don't use one, I will make mistakes which will create problems later.

Similarly, when I apply for my Residente Permanente this August, I think I will need help from an attorney who specializes in immigration matters for expats.

My recent dealings with INM and SAT underline my vulnerability to making mistakes. I knew that I had to register my change of address and my change of employment within 90 days, and I thought this might be a relatively simple update. Oh, my naivety! The process has entailed five visits combined to the two agencies, plus a sixth one to INM coming up, and quite a few hours of paperwork assembly. Who knows if I will even be done then.

On my first visit to INM, I was told that I had to go to SAT first, and I got instructions from the (English-speaking) INM rep as to everything I had to do and to bring back - but these instructions were not complete, as it turned out. On my first visit to SAT, even though I had a comprehensive description of what I needed in Spanish, the rep there apparently mucked everything up.

On my second visit to INM, the same rep that I had had the first time was quite testy with me - "THIS is wrong, and THIS is wrong, and THIS is wrong." Some of it was my bungling, some of it was the SAT rep's bungling, and some of it related to requirements the INM rep had not specified on my first visit. I got upset, which of course is exactly the wrong thing to do. Then the INM rep ripped me a new one for not being sufficiently "polite." I apologized as best as I could, but I had a hard time controlling my agitation. If the rep had simply said to me, "Oh, there are a few mistakes here, but no problem, they can be fixed," I probably would have been fine. But she was very critical - "You didn't follow my instructions" accompanied by an icy glance.

Well, OK. I went back to SAT and was lucky to find a helpful English-speaking rep. He told me that for what I needed to do, I needed to make an appointment. So I did that and came back the following day. The process then took two hours and involved a lot of paperwork, plus the photo, fingerprints, and eye-scan for the FIEL.

By the way, what is it with all the different numbers used officially in Mexico? At different times I am asked for my CURP, my RFC, my FIEL, my NUE, my IMSS #, my visa #, my CLABE, my bank account #, my U.S. passport #, my U.S. Social Security #, and I'm not even sure that's all of them. Although I understand that proliferating identifiers are a feature of modern life everywhere, it does seem that Mexico uses multiple numbers - CURP, RFC, FIEL, IMSS - for functions that in the U.S. are mostly all covered by the single, relatively easy-to-remember Social Security number. No one but a savant could remember all their Mexican numbers (or what each of them is for).
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitzgerald wrote:

By the way, what is it with all the different numbers used officially in Mexico? At different times I am asked for my CURP, my RFC, my FIEL, my NUE, my IMSS #, my visa #, my CLABE, my bank account #, my U.S. passport #, my U.S. Social Security #, and I'm not even sure that's all of them. Although I understand that proliferating identifiers are a feature of modern life everywhere, it does seem that Mexico uses multiple numbers - CURP, RFC, FIEL, IMSS - for functions that in the U.S. are mostly all covered by the single, relatively easy-to-remember Social Security number. No one but a savant could remember all their Mexican numbers (or what each of them is for).

Different numbers are used for different things. Not sure why anyone would ever ask for your US SS number, that is a strange one, but all the others are for different things, it is not like the US where there IS one all purpose number, that´s just the way it is. The one I have never figured out is why some employers ask for the bank account number and some ask for the CLABE, both can be used for making deposits. Maybe if they use the same bank that you use it is easier with the bank account number. I wouldn´t bother to learn them, it will make you nuts. Just make copies of everything and keep one with you. You can actually print out a duplicate CURP online, and, I think, an RFC too, so that is easy enough to have on hand. Probably just easier to give them what they ask you for because whether you like it or not, they will NOT move forward until you give them what they want. I recently changed banks from Bancomer to HSBC (they are the only two options where I live) and they also asked for loads of stuff that are NOT legal requirements. They didn´t like my phone bill because it was printed from the internet (even though it says right on the bill that is is official) I had to find another bill, but I took a cable bill, which they didn´t like because it wasn´t ¨official¨ even though it was an original. I finally wrote a letter of complaint to the HSBC office and after FIVE days everything was finally approved. SO my suggestion would be to take every scrap of paper you might possibly need, just in case. In this case it was not a huge deal as the bank is only 5 minutes away, but I had to go a total of five times, just for the reasons you stated, because they give incomplete instructions, plus they asked for things Bancomer didn´t ask for ¨just because¨. In the end, it all worked out, I was able to open the account and they even gave me a gift set of Pyrex because I had to wait so long. It was worth it because the lines are rarely long at HSBC as opposed to Bancomer, and the people seem friendlier (if somewhat incompetent) and because I can do internet banking, something that the people at Bancomer were never able to get set up for me, though I went MANY times, the kept insisting it worked, that I was doing ¨something wrong¨ and that was the end of it, as far as they were concerned. Not much advice to offer you, haha, I guess that is just one of the things you will have to learn with. If it´s any consolation, it´s not just expats who have those problems, it´s Mexicans too.
Fitzgerald

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="BadBeagleBad"]
Fitzgerald wrote:
If it´s any consolation, it´s not just expats who have those problems, it´s Mexicans too.

Indeed. I have gotten plenty of mileage out of this subject in my adult conversational and business English classes.

I always wonder whether part of the inefficiency is purposeful, because it gives all those many bureaucrats something to do. If you have to visit an office five or six times instead of once, that obviously eats up man-hours on their end.
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

There have been some small changes over the past year, but it's not bad once you get the hang of it. Quite easy doing everything online now. I've started training foreigners how to get set up with SAT with good results so far. Just waiting for that first person to come back and say "Guy, that didn't work!"

Accountants are usually very inexpensive though...good idea to get a hand.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: